Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
deltaleader71

Aiming and accuracy

32 comments in this topic

Members
2 posts
1,006 battles

So it is true people may be using aim bots or aim assist mods to help with accuracy and getting hits? I simply ask as I am very surprised how easily others hit me with moderate to heavy damage nearly every time regardless of distance, speed or if I am maneuvering. My shots pretty miss a large percentage of the time but I find it very interesting watching others and they never miss. Yeah I probably suck but still makes no sense to me. That said, I did a little searching around about mods for WoW and indeed see that mods are out there.

If this is the case, does the game screen for these mods or are they allowed? Quite frankly I consider that kind of stuff cheating so for me it becomes pointless to play.

[ARMDA]
Members
9,004 posts
6,506 battles

Practice practice practice.

Also, WG would know right away if someone was using an aimbot.

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
5,082 posts
5,575 battles

With the recent crackdown on illegal mods, you can rest assured that almost nobody, perhaps even nobody at all, is using aim assist.

People can consistently land shots because they're experienced at doing it. It takes practice as Unabletony noted above. Keep practicing, always fire in full salvos and make a mental note every time you hit or miss about why you think the result is what it is. Over time your gunnery instincts will improve. Most people with a few thousand battles or more hardly have to think at all when they fire, it's a reflexive activity.

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
825 posts
7,027 battles

Its highly doubtful to be an aimbot mod...i know that may exist in some form in World of Tanks as a mod but i've not seen any real example of something like that in WoWS.

When you get to a certain point you can start predicting where a player is going, and some people are better than others doing that.  I am just starting to pick up on that and its actually interesting when i know i'm in someone's head and play to what they are about to do.  Its really interesting when you run across players who are doing the same thing to you and you start thinking about what the other player may be thinking you are thinking about.....or something like that.

Alpha Tester, Members, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
12,413 posts

There's a difference between accuracy and precision. There is nothing a player can do to help the latter besides an accuracy upgrade. Yes aim assists exist and can help with accuracy. They're rather overrated and not widely used.

Beta Testers
5,082 posts
5,575 battles

Something I'd like to add.

There are two schools of aiming:

a) What iChase's video above shows. Its advantage is that it's easy to pick up and use for immediate improvement, but over time you may find it tedious to make conscious calculations for each shot and firing will take you longer;

b) Aim by distance to target and eyeball Mk.1. Most great players I know use this method. With enough experience you can nail most shots without spending much time on calculating the lead. It's a more gradual learning process that takes time but ultimately the results are comparable while your time from acquiring the target to firing will be superior to (a).

It definitely doesn't hurt to be proficient with both methodologies.

• Cool 1

Members
3,792 posts
23,987 battles

OP you have less than 800 games played and already are into T9 BBs. As a BB main you are probably giving great broadsides to target and the experienced shot knows where to aim for heavy damage.

I suggest you move back down to the mid tiers and work on your aiming. When your damage starts to get better then move up again.

• Cool 2

[ARGSY]
Members
10,326 posts
16,228 battles

I use eyehand aimod.  it has been slow to master but my hit rate went from  20% to almost 30 now.    definitely worth every penny I spent on it.  :D

Beta Testers
1,022 posts
1,161 battles

b) Aim by distance to target and eyeball Mk.1. Most great players I know use this method. With enough experience you can nail most shots without spending much time on calculating the lead. It's a more gradual learning process that takes time but ultimately the results are comparable while your time from acquiring the target to firing will be superior to (a).

It definitely doesn't hurt to be proficient with both methodologies.

This. There's just something about winging in a big hit from long range with the old Mk.1 that really makes you feel good.

[-AGW-]
Members
685 posts
3,944 battles

It takes time to get your "shooting eye". It is something you need to actively work at.

My biggest problem was missing ships over or under. Then I started checking my target on the minmap just before firing. Is he moving parallel to me, moving away, closing? When you have a clear picture of his angle you can adjust to lead him with the proper range.

Targets moving away at an angle will take practice.

Edited by Skarp_AGW

Members
3,003 posts
1,451 battles

That IChase video was so helpful.  Made all the dashes and numbers make sense.  My accuracy is at like 40% avg, ofc, just in coops, but a far cry from the barely 30% it was. 

My uncle rewatched it last ngiht and I picked up on a little detail about cruisers which has had some pretty spectacular results.....1.5x + a little more and lolcitadel....

I still cant hit crapthat isnt nearly broadside though.....and my judgement of speed at distance isnt good....

Edited by KnightFandragon

[H8TED]
Beta Testers
243 posts
25,617 battles

You have just over 500 games and when you stop and realize that some of the ppl shooting at you may have 1000's and may have 1000's on a boat you are facing. I have 4 boats that are at or over your total number of games and one of them nearly 6X what you have alon, we  know the boats, we have had the practice on where to aim and how best to hit on your chosen boat. This is something that comes from playing it will come to you over time as someone above said PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE.

Members
187 posts
20,285 battles

People use legal mods which i consider cheats to aid them, you get mods which tell you when to shoot at a ship to get best penetration and god knows what else, if you look at many player stats you will see dmg output go vertical on graphs, thats not just down to a new ship

Beta Testers
5,082 posts
5,575 battles

People use legal mods which i consider cheats to aid them, you get mods which tell you when to shoot at a ship to get best penetration and god knows what else, if you look at many player stats you will see dmg output go vertical on graphs, thats not just down to a new ship

You mean the angle indicator mod? I too consider any mod that potentially improves your competitive performance, including this one, to be a cheat. However, even a "mod fundamentalist" like myself can't argue that this particular mod can make a damage graph "go vertical".

You can believe what you will, but you'll have a hard time persuading those of us who know a thing or two about the game that people are using aim assist or other cheats on any kind of significant scale.

Members
2,255 posts

The biggest thing that can improve your hit rate is lag. I live on the east coast and the server is on the west coast. So there is 100 ping and packet loss. Some days it can be good and I only get 75 ping and no packet loss. Those are the day I push near 60% hit rate. The bad days I drop as low as 30%. The in between days it's 40's.

Just think of it like this 100ms of lag means that for 1/10th of a second you are behind. Or 6 frames of delay on 60Hz monitor. 12 frames on 120 hurts and around 15 on 144hz.

Packet loss/delay makes it worse because the server will predict movements and shots. Which throws you way off. That's why you see torps/shells going through ships.

For the best warships experience you need to be wired and live in California.

• Cool 1

[WOLFG]
Members
1,504 posts

I'm glad somebody posted this because I have the same issues, being fairly new.  On some ships I can do the 'test' shot, but others, the arc is so bad that the shot leaves the screen and I usually don't have the luxury of staying in 'binocular' mode long enough for it to come back to earth.  I find this one of the biggest flaws with this game.  My other issue is that I can sometimes not even tell which shots I fired vs. other players.  They are not distinct enough to separate from others or sometimes just fade into the background.

If I am missing something and there is an effective way  around these things I sure would like  to hear it.   

[LOU1]
Members
4,346 posts
14,836 battles

Center mouse button fires and follows your shot.  Pressing "X" switches you into and out of follow/tracking mode if you want to stick with the left mouse button for firing or leave tracking mode before the shell or torpedo hits.

Edited by ExploratorOne

Members
314 posts
2,035 battles

As others have said practice.

After a year of way to much wows I can consistently hit shots on ships even if they are taking evasive actions on something as small as a DD with BB guns. If your maneuvering before I fire I can predict where your ship will be and hit it.

The toughest shots are the ships fast enough and far enough away to evade shots after the rounds are on there way.

Edited by Darth_Caedus_
  • Cool 1

Members
2 posts
1,006 battles

Thank for all the good input on this subject. I do believe practice is a good thing just like in anything you do. I think the most concerning thing is that mods of any nature are even allowed in a game like this. That just opens the door for cheaters and I am pretty sure many players have found a way to cheat the system.

Secondly, even more concerning is the difference in game play between Co-op and Random battles. When I play Co-op battles, my accuracy, ability to do damage and get hits seems to be greatly increased. The game is actually more fun except you cannot get any real XP playing Co-op. As soon as I go in to random battles, totally different game. I cannot hit targets, my shells always just drop around other players (literally around the ship), and I get moderate to heavy damage from almost any ship that hits me on a very frequent basis. I find it very odd other players are able to predict my moves when I am doing random maneuvers and speed changes.

Yes, I am a little frustrated especially when you drop real money on this stuff. I know I need more practice but I am not convinced honest play is really happening here. I have tried watching many of the videos suggested on aiming...they may or may not have been very helpful. Perhaps my real world logic in weapon aiming is throwing me off a bit.

[-K--]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
8,172 posts
10,845 battles

So it is true people may be using aim bots or aim assist mods to help with accuracy and getting hits?

There are probably aim assists out there, though WG does their best to break them with every patch and punish offenders.

However, I would imagine that the number of people that use them is quite small. Furthermore, good aim is only one facet of the game, one that is arguably easiest to master. One more thing, aim assists predict aim point with an assumption that ship's speed and heading stay the same -- so good players will actually out-hit someone with an aim assist, when there is active maneuvering going on.

I am very surprised how easily others hit me

1) You're most likely exaggerating how often you get hit

2) Yes, some people are that good. Also, people get lucky from time to time.

If this is the case, does the game screen for these mods or are they allowed?

Not allowed. Bannable offense.

for me it becomes pointless to play.

Why? Trust me: give an average player aim assist, and I'll still kill him most of the time in a 1v1 situation. This game requires much more acumen than accurate shooting at a target that's moving in a straight line.

[-K--]
8,172 posts
10,845 battles

The biggest thing that can improve your hit rate is lag

Screen size too. When I was at my parent's house for Christmas, I had to play on my personal laptop with a 16" screen. It was SO much harder to aim (and do all sorts of things) well when compared to my 24" monitor at home.

[-K--]
8,172 posts
10,845 battles

I think the most concerning thing is that mods of any nature are even allowed in a game like this. That just opens the door for cheaters

First of all, there is a lot of server-side validation in this game, for things like spotting, dispersion, etc. You'd literally have to hack into WG servers and change their production code to cheat with those things.

Now, some mods do offer advantages. But so what? The advantages are relatively minor, and good mods eventually get merged into the game client, e.g. minimap mod or the smoke circle mod. Plus mods give a lot of ability to customize, which is great -- I want to have historic flags on my boats, I want to be able to outfit Bismarck into an awesome historic skin with three black/white stripes, etc.

When I play Co-op battles, my accuracy, ability to do damage and get hits seems to be greatly increased

That's because you play against dumb bots with fairly rudimentary AI.

The game is actually more fun except you cannot get any real XP playing Co-op

Because giving real XP for a game mode where people beat up bots with win rates as high as 95% wouldn't be the best idea. Co-op is useful for learning the ropes and relaxing. It's not meant for easily grinding lines.

I find it very odd other players are able to predict my moves when I am doing random maneuvers and speed changes

Experience. Sometimes you know what top expect from a player, e.g. you won't turn into terrain, you won't turn in a way that will separate you from your team, etc. Also, one can wait for the turn to start, and then fire away -- rudder shifts are fairly slow. Finally, there might be some confirmation bias here. You remember all the times you've been hit and you've missed, and forget when things go your way.

I am not convinced honest play is really happening here

What would prove you beyond reasonable doubt that that no large-scale dishonest play is going on? I'm being serious. Try to answer this question, and perhaps you'll see what's the problem with your assertion.

Sign in to follow this