Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Josh_Alexander

The Iowa (help please)

19 comments in this topic

Members
62 posts
2,420 battles

Hello people, the reason i wanted to bring this thread is because i am kinda having an issue with the Iowa. I love the ship, but i must admit i don't know if am missing something out. My damage ratio ranges between 50k to 70k!!!! I mean, what the heck!!!! I used to get 100-130k damage per game in the Carolina. I don't know if am doing something wrong. Also i've notice that many shots just miss when aiming. I remember this case when there was another Iowa, full broadside and stationary. I shoot at the citadels, and 5 of my bullets just seem not to have the fuel to reach the target! So i don't know what to do, any advice?

[HINON]
[HINON]
Beta Testers
5,913 posts
5,645 battles

That's kind of a long video, I know, but UrPeaceKeeper has some pretty good individual ship "how to play" videos on his channel (Whiskey's Gaming Lounge). I was watching this one earlier today for fun.

• Cool 2

[ZR]
Members
984 posts
12,323 battles

You have a 50k avg damage in the NC.  I can also tell by what you said and the avg exp earned that you play to far back and rarely push into position to support caps.  The key to the Iowa and missouri in my opinion is to provide good support on objectives rather than go for damage.  I highly prioritize shooting at DD's.

[TBCIC]
Members
648 posts
9,057 battles

... My damage ratio ranges between 50k to 70k!!!! I mean, what the heck!!!! I used to get 100-130k damage per game in the Carolina.

Having since acquired the IA (still grinding) I'm more inclined to battle with the NC; not to mention the considerably higher Service Cost.

[NERO]
Members
3,630 posts

Don't have an Iowa, but I have a Missouri and they aren't that different. She's just not as tanky as other USN BBs, so I play her more like an IJN BB. Use that concealment. Don't draw the attention of a bunch of ships at once. Bow tank if you have to, but try to not be caught in that position because your speed is a huge strength. Pick on cruisers first and BBs second if you can, as with most BBs. 

You're looking for a medium range engagement more so than a brawl. 

Members
62 posts
2,420 battles

You have a 50k avg damage in the NC.  I can also tell by what you said and the avg exp earned that you play to far back and rarely push into position to support caps.  The key to the Iowa and missouri in my opinion is to provide good support on objectives rather than go for damage.  I highly prioritize shooting at DD's.

So i should get closer? To the enemy? hmmm weird, the less i would remember getting for the N.C. was 70k damage, but maybe because of my early matches with it, since i didn't know how to use it. The thing is that i do play back in the Iowa, because it got an easy citadel and a long body. I am vulnerable to torps and enemy BBs. I rather stay 13km away from the enemy, and try to citadel. So i don't know if that is the reason for my poor damage. 

[HEROS]
-Members-
1,462 posts
5,897 battles

That's kind of a long video, I know, but UrPeaceKeeper has some pretty good individual ship "how to play" videos on his channel (Whiskey's Gaming Lounge). I was watching this one earlier today for fun.

Thanks for posting this, I was JUST about to post it myself! :)

Yes, my videos are long.  The first 10-15 minutes are usually talking about the ship, generally try to keep the first 10 minutes to stats, setup, etc.  The remainder is a battle video where I talk about how I play the ship! :)  Check out the Missouri video too and I'm about to post another ~147k damage game in Missouri to give you an idea how to play the Iowa/Missouri.

• Cool 1

[HINON]
[HINON]
Beta Testers
5,913 posts
5,645 battles

I really like your channel. That bit on STRS about why the US Standards were the way they were is what got me.

[HEROS]
-Members-
1,462 posts
5,897 battles

I really like your channel. That bit on STRS about why the US Standards were the way they were is what got me.

Ohh don't worry, there is more of that stuff coming soon too! :)  Don't quote me, but something about lofty shell arcs was requested for the next episode! ;)
  • Cool 1

Members
62 posts
2,420 battles

Thanks for posting this, I was JUST about to post it myself! :)

Yes, my videos are long.  The first 10-15 minutes are usually talking about the ship, generally try to keep the first 10 minutes to stats, setup, etc.  The remainder is a battle video where I talk about how I play the ship! :)  Check out the Missouri video too and I'm about to post another ~147k damage game in Missouri to give you an idea how to play the Iowa/Missouri.

Thank you very much for the video, really appreciate it! Nice video man, well explained, will follow your advice, see what happens.

[HEROS]
-Members-
1,462 posts
5,897 battles

Thank you very much for the video, really appreciate it! Nice video man, well explained, will follow your advice, see what happens.

Let me know how it goes! :)

Members
62 posts
2,420 battles

Hey!!! I did amazing. Used my 14km stealth more and did great. 134k damage in a match and 6 citadels from cruisers. Thanks, it is giving fruits :) . Another question, is hull C worth it? I don't see that it changes anything when i click it. Also, to get a 12km stealth i need the level 5 skill from my captain right?

[HEROS]
-Members-
1,462 posts
5,897 battles

Hey!!! I did amazing. Used my 14km stealth more and did great. 134k damage in a match and 6 citadels from cruisers. Thanks, it is giving fruits :) . Another question, is hull C worth it? I don't see that it changes anything when i click it. Also, to get a 12km stealth i need the level 5 skill from my captain right?

The C Hull has faster rudder shift time and more AA.  Absolutely worth it for just the rudder shift reduction IMO.  And yes, 15 point captain for Concealment Expert needed for 12.2km detection.  Congrats on the game!  Punish those broadside cruisers and battleships! :)

Edited by UrPeaceKeeper

Members
62 posts
2,420 battles

The C Hull has faster rudder shift time and more AA.  Absolutely worth it for just the rudder shift reduction IMO.  And yes, 15 point captain for Concealment Expert needed for 12.2km detection.  Congrats on the game!  Punish those broadside cruisers and battleships! :)

Ohh okay thanks! will get hull c then. Hey, may you post a video on the New Orleans, so i can have an idea on that one too?

Members
3,003 posts
1,451 battles

Or the USN BB players universally unite and more or less clamour for WG to make the armor layouts on USN high tiers proper.  Also, to clamour for our 1 inch of STS, and proper placement of citadels.  Also, our missing 4 inch deck armor

Edited by KnightFandragon

[HEROS]
-Members-
1,462 posts
5,897 battles

Ohh okay thanks! will get hull c then. Hey, may you post a video on the New Orleans, so i can have an idea on that one too?

USN Cruisers are, with IJN DD's, the next two lines I go down for How to Play videos.  The NOLA is definitely a tough ship to play well in, but it does do decently when played right.  Don't be afraid to use AP on broadside ANYTHINGS, just aim higher on BB's than on cruisers.  You'll see 4-8k salvo's on BB's with her AP.  Also, as usual, I definitely recommend the double rudder shift reduction over concealment, but that's just me.

Members
62 posts
2,420 battles

Here, See how i did in my latest match! Thanks for the tips! Really useful!! (sorry got to crop the screenshot, due to the size. How can you upload bigger files in here?).

Screenshot (8).png

Edited by Josh_Alexander
  • Cool 1

[HEROS]
-Members-
1,462 posts
5,897 battles

Here, See how i did in my latest match! Thanks for the tips! Really useful!! (sorry got to crop the screenshot, due to the size. How can you upload bigger files in here?).

Seems things are starting to work out! :)  Glad I could be of help!

Sign in to follow this