You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
AphelionMarauder

A really good idea

8 comments in this topic

[LRM]
[LRM]
Members
3,004 posts
13,225 battles

So I got inspired from a mechanic in World of Tanks, and I think this could be used to help balance the tech tree.

So there is an item called "siege mode". On tier 8-10 Sweedish Tank Destroyers, the point of it is two provide two kinds of operation modes for your ship. The "assault mode" is where the tank is not very mobile and can't defend its weak sides and back, but has an extremely well tuned in aiming and accuracy, reload increases (not sure about that one, but whatever, this is not WoT). In "movement mode", the tank is really fast, can doge well, and can take uneven terrain very well. However it can not aim for crap, its dispersion is insanely high, and its reload is very slow.

Well, I thought the same thing could be done in World of Warships. 

With the Italian fleet they will add, but more importantly on the ships they are planning on reworking, this idea could be utilized very well. Here is how it would work on each ship class. For simplicity, "Run mode" is when it is moving, and "Firing mode" is for when the ship fires. Here we go:

Destroyer:

In "Run mode", Destroyers would obviously be speedy. Dispersion would be lesser than it already is but not very much. Torpedoes would be more inaccurate, smoke screens would be laid thinner, and the turn rate would increase slightly.

In "Firing mode", the ship is slower, dispersion is greater, and torpedoes are faster and more accurate. Smoke screens would be thicker but smaller, and would increase AA ability.

Cruiser:

In "Run mode": speed is fast and turn rate is great. Dispersion would be the same. Torpedoes for those equipped would be the same, any launchable planes would take 50% penalty in health and 10% in firepower. Hydro is reduced, radar is reduced, repair abilities would be slower for fires and flooding. Detection would slightly go up from increased wake.

In "Firing mode", the ship is WAY more fortified. Speed is extremely slow and turn rate is slower. Dispersion of your shells would decrease. Torpedoes would be the same. Hydro would be increased and radar would be increased. Your armor becomes more effective, and scout planes gain a 10% damage buff. Repair abilities would turn into health regeneration, with a cap at 75% of the difference of health between what you have and full HP. Detection would decrease. However, the enemy firing at you would have decreased dispersion towards you, and your ship is more susceptible to fires and floods, but will be damaged less.

Battleships:

In "Run mode", speed is a few KPH's faster than normal, and turning is increased. Planes and consumables like radar and hydro would be normal. Gun dispersion would be worse and fire and torpedo affects that the ship would be increased by 10-20% based on the ship and tier. 

In "Firing mode", the ship is slower and turns worse than normal. Gun dispersion would be extremely well, and taken damage would be more resistant. The ship then gets an uncapped regeneration when in this mode, but is 50% slower than normal repair (consumable is still there for repair) However, detection range would increase.

Carriers:

In "Run mode" the ship is more mobile but can not launch aircraft, but can land and get 25% increased rearm and refuel time.

In "Firing mode", planes get a 10% damage increase.

Disclaimers on the idea:

I DO NOT BELIEVE THAT THIS IDEA SHOULD BE IMPLEMENTED ON EVERY SHIP, THAT WOULD BE STUPID. THIS IS HERE BECAUSE THERE IS ALWAYS SOMEONE IN A CROWD THAT THINKS THAT. 

Few, now that the elephant is out of the room.......

I underestimated some things and overestimated some things because I didn't want to catch heat from some downer who is crapping on the numbers meant to represent an idea or intended a mechanic. However, numbers would have to be tweaked to be something more solid.

I also wrote it based on the average stats and behaviors of all said ships to the best of my knowledge.

It also would have to be used sparingly. Not every nation would get it. That is why I suggest the Italians, because they have not really been started on, and it would be good to have one nation with it and leave it be, like the Sweeds with there "siege mode" in World of Tanks.

I also don't think every ship class should have one of these, but if it were to be given to a specific ship class, the above is what I would envision.

Anyway, all thoughts are welcome. :)

Edited by Luke_Skywalker01

Members
1,719 posts
4,106 battles

You could also have on larger ships like Heavy Cruisers and Battleships (USN with its radar fired controls especially) a focused fire ability where they shells and more accurate and are more reliable but at the cost on maneuverability as the ship is aiming instead of sailing

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
29,170 posts
15,765 battles

You could also have on larger ships like Heavy Cruisers and Battleships (USN with its radar fired controls especially) a focused fire ability where they shells and more accurate and are more reliable but at the cost on maneuverability as the ship is aiming instead of sailing

Actually unlike most countries US ships, at least in WWII, were able to keep their guns on target through some pretty extreme maneuvering.

Members
1,719 posts
4,106 battles

Actually unlike most countries US ships, at least in WWII, were able to keep their guns on target through some pretty extreme maneuvering.

Yeah, its more of "hey lets give USN ships a boost since the are struggling" we already know USN CAs are getting revamped

[HINON]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
8,856 posts
3,680 battles

What do you mean "unlike most countries"? :hmm:

European ships (save for the Royal Navy) had, in most cases, excellent turret traverse speeds and, especially in the case of the German navy, invested heavily in triaxially stabilized weapons which granted superior accuracy when the ship was rolling or pitching (for example in heavy weather or hard turns). So unless by "most countries" you are referring specifically to Great Britain and Japan then I'm afraid I dont agree.

Edited by dseehafer

[LRM]
[LRM]
Members
3,004 posts
13,225 battles

Nice idea... although I fear it would trigger a new wave of BB campfest fu*kery...

If implemented at lower tiers for tier 3 and 4, it would bring that. If it were tier 5 and 6 trait, especially for the new Italians down the road, it would work expertly.