You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
CybrSlydr

Critique this match, plz

29 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
2,094 posts
2,152 battles

https://wowreplays.com/Replay/26956

This is one of my better Scharnhorst games in the last few days - in the interests of enhancing my gameplay, I'd appreciate some of you folks taking a look at it and offering suggestions on improving.

Be warned - it is a 20min battle.  I'm also realizing that it was a T7 match and I kinda got a chance to club a bit thanks to MM.  So...  Thanks.  :)

[SYN]
Members
16,027 posts
12,803 battles

I dunno, whatever mod you have installed is causing it to be incompatible with the stock client.

Beta Testers
2,094 posts
2,152 battles

I dunno, whatever mod you have installed is causing it to be incompatible with the stock client.

I don't run any mods - but thanks for trying to help!  :)

Beta Testers
2,094 posts
2,152 battles

I'd upload a video of it but I can't figure out how to get the damn nVidia capture thing to work.  Control Panel keeps crashing and FRAPS is garbage without paying.

[--K--]
Supertester
1,753 posts
21,604 battles

I'd upload a video of it but I can't figure out how to get the damn nVidia capture thing to work.  Control Panel keeps crashing and FRAPS is garbage without paying.

Got a phone? :p 

Beta Testers
2,094 posts
2,152 battles

Got a phone? :p 

I'm not going to record off-screen, that's just ridiculous.  lol

[--K--]
Supertester
1,753 posts
21,604 battles

I'm not going to record off-screen, that's just ridiculous.  lol

Ive done it for a few devastating strike recordings :P

Anyone care to critique mine?  There were a few salvos I wish I had AP and that the game could have lasted 5 more seconds.

https://wowreplays.com/Replay/26984

Beta Testers
2,094 posts
2,152 battles

[edited]  Finally figured out how to video capture with nVidia and just for S&Gs looked at the file size - 6.04GB!  lol

No wonder it's going to take a couple hours to upload.

Members
2,709 posts
17,651 battles

[edited]  Finally figured out how to video capture with nVidia and just for S&Gs looked at the file size - 6.04GB!  lol

No wonder it's going to take a couple hours to upload.

Welcome to the world of uploading WOWS replays to youtube. :)

I usually have to do it overnight as it typically shuts out internet access to everything else in my house.

Beta Testers
2,094 posts
2,152 battles

Here you go folks - video is uploaded and processing, says it'll be about another 20 minutes to process.

EDIT:  New link:

Edited by CybrSlydr

Beta Testers
2,094 posts
2,152 battles

Ta-da!  Now, what can I do better?  I have a few ideas myself - mostly it's positioning in the late game against the Bayern.  One shell could have taken me out and I got lucky.

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
6,121 posts
27,980 battles

Ta-da!  Now, what can I do better?  I have a few ideas myself - mostly it's positioning in the late game against the Bayern.  One shell could have taken me out and I got lucky.

"This video is private."

Members
2,709 posts
17,651 battles

Not exactly sure what feedback you are looking to get as it was a solid effort. I would've been happy with that.

My only take-aways are this (and take it with a grain of salt if you like):

About midway through the game you decided to head towards and focus on a BB that already had 4 DDs and another BB shooting it down while the East side was virtually undefended. You realized this after you had already committed to going West, and it ended up in you getting beached. Didn't really hurt you this time, but that could be a costly move.

On that same train of thought you wasted a full salvo on a target just to get the kill shot where again, there were already 4 or 5 friendly closer and already bearing down on it. Let them take the kill and move on to other priorities.

Only other thing is you seem to be somewhat lost when it came to aiming at angled ships. Especially when outside of 12km. I could be wrong as this is the only vid of you I've seen, it just seemed any shot over a certain distance to a moving target was more of a guess than anything.

Again, this was a well-played game on your part and I'm just nit-picking the hell out of it, so take it however you like.

Good job!

• Cool 1

[BARF]
Beta Testers
5,816 posts
5,484 battles

Try OBS. it's recording encoder leaves a lot to be desired, but it's totally free and works a charm. 

But try to send more than one replay. It takes more than a sample size of one to see a trend

[SYN]
Members
16,027 posts
12,803 battles

You should enable "last known position marker"

First 4 mins: You should have fired AP at the broadside Murmansk much earlier.

First 4 mins: You were also sailing in a straight line, while detected, for a long time. It wasn't punished, but could have been costly, had the reds been paying attention.

4:20: You actually should have continued pressing in against the Aoba, instead of doing a 180, because of how many friendlies you had up there.

6:45 ~ 7:50: You noticed the lone Graf Spee in middle, giving a broadside, but instead of going head-on into it, you again turned 180, went around the island, beached yourself and showed your broadside to the Kongo for a long time.

9:40: You are sailing in a straight line while spotted, so at least launch your catapult fighter

11:00: You saw the Shinonome go behind the island, why did you not launch your catapult fighter to get eyes in the sky?

11:30: You still haven't loaded HE

12:30: You should have used Shininome's smoke to get some time to let your repair party cool down

15:00: Again, giving broadsides when it isn't necessary. I think you got lucky the Bayern didn't nail you. You turn out, but you are safer turning in and using the island to block incoming shots.

17:00 I don't understand why you slowed down, gave a broadside to the Bayern and tried to kite the Omaha.

• Cool 2

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
6,121 posts
27,980 battles

Overall mechanics are pretty good, marksmanship is okay, angling is generally fine.

First half a little passive for my taste, you looped back toward the home zone quite a few times when your team had something like a like 6v1 advantage on west. Also, the enemy's one ship on that side somehow survived a really long time.

During the encounter with the Shinonome where you got torped, you saw him go behind the island and you had your plane up, you could have used it to spot him and potentially avoid eating the 4 torps that took most of your health.

With the Colorado, you were really lucky that guy whiffed, since he would have overmatched your bow armor. You can fire the torpedoes earlier if you want, you have the second bank on the other side and enough space to use it in that case..

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
2,094 posts
2,152 battles

Only other thing is you seem to be somewhat lost when it came to aiming at angled ships. Especially when outside of 12km. I could be wrong as this is the only vid of you I've seen, it just seemed any shot over a certain distance to a moving target was more of a guess than anything.

What do you mean?  All of my shots are guesses.

Beta Testers
2,094 posts
2,152 battles

Try OBS. it's recording encoder leaves a lot to be desired, but it's totally free and works a charm. 

But try to send more than one replay. It takes more than a sample size of one to see a trend

I have a couple (I think?...) uploaded to YouTube.  Not many.  I have a decent Colorado game from a few months back-ish.

Beta Testers
2,094 posts
2,152 battles

You should enable "last known position marker"

First 4 mins: You should have fired AP at the broadside Murmansk much earlier.

First 4 mins: You were also sailing in a straight line, while detected, for a long time. It wasn't punished, but could have been costly, had the reds been paying attention.

4:20: You actually should have continued pressing in against the Aoba, instead of doing a 180, because of how many friendlies you had up there.

6:45 ~ 7:50: You noticed the lone Graf Spee in middle, giving a broadside, but instead of going head-on into it, you again turned 180, went around the island, beached yourself and showed your broadside to the Kongo for a long time.

9:40: You are sailing in a straight line while spotted, so at least launch your catapult fighter

11:00: You saw the Shinonome go behind the island, why did you not launch your catapult fighter to get eyes in the sky?

11:30: You still haven't loaded HE

12:30: You should have used Shininome's smoke to get some time to let your repair party cool down

15:00: Again, giving broadsides when it isn't necessary. I think you got lucky the Bayern didn't nail you. You turn out, but you are safer turning in and using the island to block incoming shots.

17:00 I don't understand why you slowed down, gave a broadside to the Bayern and tried to kite the Omaha.

Typically I'll start off every match with HE as I find it more effective at distance than AP - plus you get fires and all that happy stuff.

I turned away from the Aoba because of the smoke, Murmansk and DD were there - I wasn't about to go closer and eat a face full of torps.  Not to mention I was already on fire and continuing in was only going to set more of them and lose even more health. 

The idea with the Spee is that I'd have enough time to circle the island and help out with the Kongo and go back to take care of the Spee - we had another Spee near our cap so I figured they'd beat each other long enough for me to help out with the Kongo.

As for the plane, it never even occurred to me to launch it.  I rarely ever use the thing, even when there's a CV.  I figured he'd keep going North around the island so I'd swing south to avoid his torps and flank him.  Unfortunately, I guessed wrong and ate a bunch of them. 

At 11:30, why should I have loaded HE?  The BB was close enough the AP would pen, so I kept with it.

Yes, I was extremely fortunate to not get nailed by the Bayern at 15:00.  I'd already started turning out to bring my 3rd turret to bear and once I saw him fire, I committed to keeping with the turn rather than try and correct it - which would have left me even more broadside for even longer. 

I was trying to keep my distance from the Omaha because of his significantly higher RoF than mine - I didn't want to catch 5 salvos of HE in the face and die.  Since I was already turned that way, I just continued it to present the most acute angle to his shots as possible.  Again, I lucked out with the Bayern not nailing me. 

Members
2,709 posts
17,651 battles

What do you mean?  All of my shots are guesses.

I didn't say all of them. I was specifically referring to angled ships at or further than 12km as your aim appeared to be significantly worse than closer targets.

And I called it a "guess", cause your aim wasn't consistent over the course of the match as you faced similar shots.

Like I said it's just an observation on my part. If you feel like you aim just as well from all distances, don't listen to me. Mr. Deaf went way more into specifics on where you could have improved than I did. But then again, he is "unicum" level whereas I'm not.