You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
JohnPJones

New armament speculation

118 comments in this topic

Members
3,115 posts
6,734 battles

wargaming released a new video that said a new type of armament would be introduced in 2017, what do you think it could be? We have some ships from early Cold War years already so some sort of ASM seems possible but unlikely. The only other naval armament I can think of not already included is depth charges which would be useless for them most part without subs. What are your thoughts?

Members
800 posts
7,359 battles

Mines, missiles or maybe they are just changing how secondaries work. Is there any kind of WWII naval armament left?

Edited by ShiroDNL

[HINON]
Members
7,656 posts
9,539 battles

Mines, missiles or maybe they are just changing how secondaries work. Is there any kind of WWII naval armament left?

Rockets

Members
266 posts
2,744 battles

Tier 1--- Steam Rams? Spar Torpedos? 

Hedgehogs? Rockets?

Torpedos with their gyros to allow curved fire?

Fritz-X and other early missiles?

Tier X US Missile/Gun Cruiser, USS Little Rock (Cleveland conversion)?

[SCCC]
Members
3,181 posts
17,491 battles

They were showing some torpedo launchers right when they were saying it so... gyro-guided(?) torpedoes? Boy would this be a buff for IJN CAs that need to otherwise show broadside to launch torpedoes.

Edited by Peregrinas

Members
800 posts
7,359 battles

Rockets

Umm...what's the difference between missiles and rockets? I always thought both of them go swooohsssss!!!! and then BOOOM!!!!!

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
1,255 posts
17,550 battles

Umm...what's the difference between missiles and rockets? I always thought both of them go swooohsssss!!!! and then BOOOM!!!!!

Missiles are guided, rockets are point and shoot..AFAIK.

My guess would be mines...allows for Minesweepers later?

• Cool 1

[CVA16]
Members
8,894 posts
27,139 battles

In current use, rockets are unguided, missiles are guided. RPG fires an unguided rocket. Stinger fires a guided missile. Both go BOOM in the end.
  • Cool 1

Alpha Tester
444 posts
2,983 battles

Missiles are guided, rockets are point and shoot..AFAIK.

Pretty much. "Rockets" in the context of weapons usually refers to unguided rockets. "Missile" is generally used to refer to a guided/homing weapon. (not necessarily rocket powered, though most are)

Edit: double ninja'd!

Edited by DwarfKingHack

[CVA16]
Members
8,894 posts
27,139 battles

Many ships are shown with minerails BUT I can't see WG putting even short lived floating mines into play. The chance for team killing would be huge. Really stop almost all aggressive play with all bottlenecks getting mined.
  • Cool 1

[-KIA-]
Banned
9,382 posts
28,311 battles

Missiles.  Holy crap.  Another excuse to make more OP Soviet ships.

The USN would still run away with that title.  We've been undeniably ahead of Russia in SSM development during the Cold War, especially once focus shifted to ICBMs for nuclear deterrent.

That being said, modern Russian missiles are pretty fearsome; the supersonic versions of the 3M-54 Klub are easily one of the best anti-ship missiles in existence.

Edited by TenguBlade

[CVA16]
Members
8,894 posts
27,139 battles

Phased plasma cannons. The Russians had 'em.

Rail guns. Great armor for piercing, otherwise low damage. No need to lead your target much.

• Cool 1

Members
11,026 posts
30,665 battles

Oh, you're going there? 

We're getting photon cannons, supergravity cannons, and corrosive torpedoes so that the ARP ships can get their proper loadouts.

• Cool 1

[USNDD]
Banned
66 posts
3,751 battles

They could introduce AI subs, kinda like the forts, and give DDs depth charges to counter them.  Would be fun and engaging!

• Cool 2

[SALVO]
Members
16,500 posts
10,221 battles

Only real options are mines and depth charges, both are troublesome to think about. 

[BOTES]
Members
311 posts
9,625 battles

Only real options are mines and depth charges, both are troublesome to think about. 

They showed a Kildin class destroyer in the video, which was a missile destroyer. It will be missiles or some variant of them.

[CRAYN]
Beta Testers
2,085 posts
4,674 battles

The destroyer that has been identified is a Kilden-class destroyer, which comes after the Kotlin-class (Project 56). The Kildins were almost identical to the Kotlins, except that Kildin was equipped with the SS-N-1/SS-N-2 missile launcher.

Apparently the missile is subsonic but used a nuclear warhead.