Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Captain_Dilbert

Risk for stealth DD's using RPF

6 comments in this topic

[WSUND]
Members
1,494 posts
12,203 battles

I have not seen this discussed anywhere so I raising the issue here.  My initial thinking is that I was going to take RPF on my IJN DD's, more as a defensive measure than anything else.  But as I was thinking through different scenarios I realized that I could be unintentionally disclosing my location.  Think of being on the west side of the North map making a torp run on a BB.  Once they become the closest enemy ship to you, they will get a notification that they are being tracked by RPF and as I understand it, the name of the ship that is detecting them is displayed.  This is especially advantageous for a BB since they have such a large detection range they could be spotted by other ships 15+km away, but now they know they are the closest ship to an enemy DD...something tells me that most will start taking evasive maneuvers sooner rather than later.

Anyway, just my $.02.

[DEV_X]
Alpha Tester
2,470 posts
24,788 battles

It doesn't tell you who is detecting you. You simply get a little arrow with a circle saying "located" on the right hand side of your screen.

I played some public test server time earlier and found d out of 12 matches it seemed to obuy show up in 4 matches. Of course maybe I wasn't the ship being detected.

• Cool 1

[O7]
Members
5,393 posts
12,182 battles

Situational awareness never made people impossible to kill.

IFA never made people impossible to kill.

Why does RPF? It might save the odd person from a full-to-death by torps every now and then. At the same time, this will force torpedo spreads to actually spread out to maximize the potential of a single hit, rather than dumping all launchers on the indicator. That will make spreads harder to avoid completely. RPF is also not free. To take it with any class build you are sacrificing something else, especially if you are doing it before 18pt.

But if all you ever do is only see what the skill 'adds', then it is impossible to notice the downsides.

• Cool 1

[USNDD]
Banned
66 posts
3,751 battles

I cant wait for RPF.  There have been many battles since I found out about it coming that I wished I had it.  Once it gets here, I will never be surprised by USN or IJN DDs.  This skill will make VMF DDs even more powerful.  We live in exciting times!

[NEMO]
Members
815 posts
8,769 battles

I cant wait for RPF.  There have been many battles since I found out about it coming that I wished I had it.  Once it gets here, I will never be surprised by USN or IJN DDs.  This skill will make VMF DDs even more powerful.  We live in exciting times!

RPF will greatly reduce the effectiveness of stealth and any ships that rely on it. Just like WoT where they removed most of the bushes and trees from the maps and nerfed the camo ratings of all tanks to make the game World of Heavy Tanks, this game will become world of warbrawlers.
Edited by Thraxian
  • Cool 1

[DESS]
Beta Testers
182 posts
8,552 battles

RPF will greatly reduce the effectiveness of stealth and any ships that rely on it. Just like WoT where they removed most of the bushes and trees from the maps and nerfed the camo ratings of all tanks to make the game World of Heavy Tanks, this game will become world of warbrawlers.

While I personally think World of Tanks became Would of Medium Tanks (Skoda and Soviet mediums anyone?), I agree with you. The real problem with this skill is that it's an indirect randomized nerf to all stealth based ships. The IJN DDs are already having issues (barring Akizuki) the potential of being randomly "located" at virtually any range makes the stealth torpedo ambush or barrage all the more risky. While in itself I don't find that to be a bad thing, they're taking it to the level of "Enemy ship in this direction, move or risk dying to torpedoes" rather than, "Hey, you're spotted, proceed with caution".

Sign in to follow this