Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Rhal_

6.0.0 v2 and Tiers 8, 9, and 10 - Some Thoughts

9 comments in this topic

[-KWH-]
Members
207 posts
5,816 battles

I've been playing the GK on the PTS to try and determine the best captain skill build for the high tier German BBs.  I'll share my thoughts, and I would like to hear what the community has to say.

What I consider essential (to a secondary build):

-Basic Firing Training

-Advanced Firing Training

-Manual Fire Control for Secondary Armament

If I consider those three skills inviolate, I must take a level 1 skill and a level 2 skill (3 points).  This leaves 5 skill points available.

For the level 1 skill, I see three viable options:

-Priority Target - I consider this the least useful.  How many enemies are shooting at me?  Usually ALL OF THEM.  I can see this as useful when you're spotted but no enemies are visible, indicating a DD is lining up for torps.

-Preventive Maintenance - Probably the most useful of the bunch.  But really, how often do I get modules knocked out in a battleship?  Not very...

-Direction Center for Catapult Aircraft - Two 60 second fighters instead of one.  In live currently, the fighters, in my opinion, aren't very useful as fighters; their utility lies in spotting abilities and their duration.  6.0.0 nerfs the duration, so two useless fighters instead of one doesn't seem like much benefit.

My current test build is with PM.

For level 2, I see some interesting choices, and where things get sticky for me.

-Expert Marksman - This is what I use now to make up for the slower turret traverse that comes with Main Armament Mod. 3.  It takes the 46 second traverse down to 39 seconds.  This makes a big difference at brawling range, and I wouldn't give it up without serious consideration.

-Adrenaline Rush - Faster reload? Yes please.  BBs are going to take damage, and more damage taken leads to more benefit, which has merit in ships that are meant to brawl.  My question is this:  What happens when you repair?  Does reload speed go back down as HP regenerates?

-High Alert - How often do I find myself saying, "I have two fires and no way to put them out since I used my DCP on the flooding" or something similar?  At least once a day.

-Jack of All Trades - See High Alert above but with Faster Repair Party too.  This may not be an issue since the premium consumable nerf does not appear to be happening

My gut says EM, but we're going to circle back to this in a bit.

Level 3:

-Basic Firing Training - I consider this a MUST.  Someone would have to provide me a pretty compelling reason to forgo BFT on a secondary build.

-Basics of Survivability - This as a 3 point skill makes me sad.  I'm not convinced it's still worth it.

-Superintendent - I run this on live while also using premium consumables.  Frequently, I find myself finishing games with 0 Repair Party and/or Hydroacoustic Search charges remaining.

-Demolition Expert - I mention this only because it affects secondary guns too.  But even without it, there doesn't seem to be a lack of fire production from secondaries, so I consider this skill marginal at best.  The points are definitely better spent elsewhere.

-Vigilance - With the fighter nerf, this seems more useful, but I still can't justify the cost to myself.  If I have good situational awareness and use Hydroacoustic Search judiciously, this skill becomes unnecessary.

Level 4:

-Manual Secondaries - Necessary for a secondary build.

-Advanced Firing Training - Also necessary.

-Fire Prevention - I am ALWAYS on fire.  This skill merits serious consideration.

-Inertia Fuse for HE - I can see this really wrecking cruisers and DDs, but the cost is really a detractor.

-Radio Position Finding - Lol?  Not even a consideration.  Good situational awareness is far better than this skill for BBs.

-Concealment Expert - Also lol for the GK and Freddy.

So with all that hashed out, the questions I am considering are as follows:

-Which Level 1 skill?  I'm leaning toward PM, but that's not set in stone.  None look particularly great for the high tier German BBs.

-Which Level 2 skill?  I'm leaning toward EM because that's what I use now, and it has definite utility.  A case could be made for the others I mentioned above as additional skills, but I would be really hard pressed to go without EM.  Of course, I'm open to being persuaded.

-What to do with the left over 5 skill points once the essentials have been obtained?  Get another level 4 skill and a Level 1 skill?  A Level 3 and a Level 2?  This is really the question I want to answer.

What say you German BB community?

[O7]
Members
5,393 posts
12,182 battles

Not sure why you need to ask. Dropping superint doesn't make sense, so taking that forces a 2. a CD reduc of your choice. Adrenaline is only going to really effect your primaries, if that and a slight increase to secondary speed is worth it, then take it. 

[HYD]
Members
7,105 posts
5,289 battles

I honestly don't see BFT as a "must" for a secondary build, and I currently run BoS instead on my secondary build ships. However, since there aren't that many useful skills, and BFT gives an AA buff as well, I guess that's the best option here. 

So anyways:

-Level 1: None of the skills look great, and the DCCA skill won't help very much because BB fighters will only have a 60s duration. PM seems to be the only one that is useful, but then again BBs don't really have their modules knocked out that much. In the end, PM is probably the way to go. 

-Level 2: EM is probably the best, but adrenaline rush is also a viable choice. Before you die, you will have your main and secondary battery reloading with a 20% reduction in reload. HA is probably not worth it, unless they nerf the premium consumables. So I guess it's a choice between EM and AR, and i think that's more of a personal preference kind of thing. 

The remaining 5 points can probably be spent on AR (or EM if you took AR the first time) and a level 3 skill of your choice (SI maybe?). Or if you think your AA guns need a buff, get MFCAA. I guess FP is also a viable skill, but then there isn't really a 1 point skill to take so that's gonna go to waste.

Edited by Aduial

[-KWH-]
Members
207 posts
5,816 battles

Not sure why you need to ask. Dropping superint doesn't make sense, so taking that forces a 2. a CD reduc of your choice. Adrenaline is only going to really effect your primaries, if that and a slight increase to secondary speed is worth it, then take it. 

I ask because I don't know everything and because I consider myself an average player at best.  I always assume that someone else has thought about something in a way that I haven't considered.

As of this moment, I agree.  I'm of the belief that SI and HA are the way to go, though FP looks extremely tempting.

In any case, I appreciate your input; thank you.

[ONE38]
Members
3,781 posts
13,356 battles

I ask because I don't know everything and because I consider myself an average player at best.  I always assume that someone else has thought about something in a way that I haven't considered.

As of this moment, I agree.  I'm of the belief that SI and HA are the way to go, though FP looks extremely tempting.

In any case, I appreciate your input; thank you.

Other people's opinions and your mileage may vary.  

Members
1,383 posts
4,457 battles

My thoughts:

1. Catapult Fighter, but use more defensively for CV aircraft and when needing to spot.
  2. I'm split on this one and will need to do some math.  I think for Germans, who have good turret traverse, are the most likely BBs to benefit from Adrenaline Rush.  With Adrenaline rush, the reload is cut from like 26 to 23.4 at 50% health.  Turret traverse goes form 31.6 to 36 seconds to turn 180, which is still well below most BBs. On the slower turning tier 9 and 10 BBs, EM might make more sense.
  3. I think I would take Superintendent for extra charges on hydro, heal and catapult planes
  4. Advanced fire training to support AA and secondaries
  5. Manual secondaries
  6. Basic fire training
  7. Expert marksman or adrenaline rush, whichever you didn't take on first pass.

Ship with 50% health

• 2x catapult fighter
  • faster turret traverse
  • extra consumables
  • +20% AA and secondary range
  • 19% reduction in secondary reload
  • 10% reduction in main battery reload
  • -60% secondary dispersion

For non-German ships and German ships below T7, I would do something completely different, focusing a lot more on tanking.  It basically boils down to if you are going to go secondaries, you need to go all in, otherwise you should just make the ship a brick and be done with it.

[GC]
Alpha Tester
832 posts
4,091 battles

I am of the belief that Superintendent is pretty overrated for battleships, unless you're going for a full-on tank build, or you can't afford to run premium Repair Party. Think hard on it, now: how often do you actually use that 5th heal? I realized lately that I seldom get through all five charges, and even when I do, it's usually because I don't utilize them efficiently. This is probably an unpopular opinion, but for me, my plethora of India Delta flags, combined with avoiding/mitigating damage in the first place with Vigilance and High Alert, makes up for not having that last charge. I always take Vigilance first now on all my battleships, except on Bismarck (when I get it) because of its hydro. Superintendent, if I take it at all, I pick up on the second pass.

Adrenaline Rush is definitely the strongest of the 2 point skills for Germans, just because their turret traverse is already pretty good. EM certainly helps, but I'd save it for a second pass on anything higher than Bayern. And you don't get a second pass with a secondaries build unless you opt out of Concealment, which a case could be made for.

--Helms

[BAKED]
Members
918 posts
12,366 battles

Currently testing:

DCCA + (PM or PT)

AR (EM on the GK instead)

BoS

Manual Secondaries FP AFT

No SI and HAorJOAT but having tried out FP I think the massive reduction in double fires means damage control is less frequently used anyways.

Edited by Dodgy_Cookies

Sign in to follow this