You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
BOOMER_USA

So now that the russian AShM DDs are confirmed.

47 comments in this topic

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
24,714 posts
19,904 battles

I can see these being OP, UP or more-or-less perfectly balanced. Everything depends on things like projectile speed, accuracy, range, detectibility, reload, possible ammunition limit and whether or not AA works against them. We don't know if it's going to be ammunition or a consumable.

• Cool 1

Members
5,202 posts

Kinda disappointing that we're getting a ship that was built in the late 1950's.

With that gripe aside, the diversity to gameplay should be... fun?

Edited by Kombat_W0MBAT

Beta Testers
170 posts
8,283 battles

If AA works on it you won't have long to shoot them down considering that the SSN-2 that they were equipped with traveled at mach .95, I'm sure the SSN-1 will have a speed similar.

Alpha Tester
2,716 posts
4,076 battles

Kinda disappointing that we're getting a ship that was built in the late 1950's.

Especially since WG said nothing post WW2.... I wonder if they got ahold of Gaijin's playbook lmbo

Banned
2,485 posts
977 battles

To be fair the Belfast hull we have in-game is from 1959.
  • Cool 1

Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
6,165 posts
5,833 battles

To be fair the Belfast hull we have in-game is from 1959.

...and the Mikhail Kutuzov is also part of the Cold War lineup, though she's more similar to WW2 ships.

[SWOB]
[SWOB]
Alpha Tester
1,147 posts
6,651 battles

Yeah if it's a more cosmetic concept similar to a torpedo in terms of damage and mechanics it will be workable, but it does have all sorts of potential to mess up balance if they're not smart about it.  On the bright side, we now have a new thing to complain about before we know anything about the mechanics!

• Cool 1

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
24,714 posts
19,904 battles

Especially since WG said nothing post WW2

When did they said that? Because there have been post-WWII ships in the game for a long time already.

[FROG]
Members
252 posts
2,167 battles

If this is the case, I demand my Cold War Iowa with 32 Tomahawks in eight Armored Box Launchers and 16 Harpoons! IT'S ONLY FAIR WARGAMING. :p

Serious note though, it'll depend on whether the missiles can be affected by AA, the reload speed, and the range. Can these be balanced? Maybe, but it'll take some major, major work.

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
3,985 posts
2,106 battles

Welp, only a matter of time before:

(just replace those Japanese speaking poorly-dubbed English with Russians)

[SWFSH]
[SWFSH]
Beta Testers
2,504 posts
6,178 battles

I can see these being OP, UP or more-or-less perfectly balanced. Everything depends on things like projectile speed, accuracy, range, detectibility, reload, possible ammunition limit and whether or not AA works against them. We don't know if it's going to be ammunition or a consumable.

Almost 100% ammunition.

This ship has no other anti ship weapons other than 2x2 torpedo launchers.

[SWFSH]
[SWFSH]
Beta Testers
2,504 posts
6,178 battles

Can't wait to fire all the missiles. :red_button:

All 1 missile. It can only fire one at a time, but it will certainly be interesting if they can make it fun and viable.

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
24,714 posts
19,904 battles

This ship has no other anti ship weapons other than 2x2 torpedo launchers.

What about the cannon mounts up front?

[-KIA-]
Banned
9,382 posts
21,083 battles

Who's to say that they won't disable the missiles and make the ships torpedo-only?  Other than a hint that they're adding "new types of armament," I see no connection to, let alone confirmation of, missiles in that video.

Or maybe they'll make it into the ultimate pew-pew ship by turning the 57s into the primary battery.  The possibility also exists that they may give it the 4 76mm DP guns the class got during modernization; the schematic shows the quad 57s in the background, but you never know.

Edited by TenguBlade

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
24,714 posts
19,904 battles

4x4 57mm AA guns.

Yeah that won't do jack against a boat. I asked because I'm not familiar with these.

[FROG]
Members
252 posts
2,167 battles

Who's to say that they won't disable the missiles and make the ships gun-and-torpedo only?  Other than a hint that they're adding "new types of armament," I see no connection to, let alone confirmation of, missiles in that video.

Could they? Yes. But this is the Kildin-class DD. This is the designed weapons package:

Armament:

• (as designed)
    • 1 SS-N-1 anti shipping missile launcher (8 re-load missiles)
    • 16 × 57 mm guns (4x4),
    • 4 × 533 mm torpedo tubes
    • 2 × RBU-2500 w/ 128 RGB-25,
    • 2 × RPK-8 Zapad/RBU-6000 12 tubed mortar launchers

If you removed the missiles, you have four torpedo tubes and some AA guns. That's it. Now, if they were going off of the old version with 130mm guns and 2x5 tubes, it might work... but that's not the silhouette of the ship they put up.

[FROG]
Members
252 posts
2,167 battles

Yeah that won't do jack against a boat. I asked because I'm not familiar with these.

I hear ya. The Cold War designs are hard to shoehorn in because they were designed for completely different engagement profiles due to the missile environment. In WoWS knifefights, they'd be thin-skinned and extremely overmatched.

[-KIA-]
Banned
9,382 posts
21,083 battles

You never know, they had an anti-surface HE round developed and manufactured.  That would non-pen on everything, but the guns pump out 150 rounds per minute, and there's 16 of them in 4 quad mounts. Fires for days even if they had a 0.1% fire chance.

Could they? Yes. But this is the Kildin-class DD. This is the designed weapons package:

Armament:

• (as designed)
    • SS-N-1 anti shipping missile launcher (8 re-load missiles)
    • 16 × 57 mm guns (4x4),
    • 4 × 533 mm torpedo tubes
    • 2 × RBU-2500 w/ 128 RGB-25,
    • 2 × RPK-8 Zapad/RBU-6000 12 tubed mortar launchers

If you removed the missiles, you have four torpedo tubes and some AA guns. That's it. Now, if they were going off of the old version with 130mm guns and 2x5 tubes, it might work... but that's not the silhouette of the ship they put up.

I recall that discussions on the upcoming Soviet DD split mentioned at least one ship with 2x5 torpedo tubes.  All of the listed new ships from there had 4 130mm DP guns in 2 twin turrets.

Edited by TenguBlade