You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Zambasshik

American Stigma?

20 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
77 posts
2,002 battles

The stats show that most american ships lag behind they're counterparts  from other nations. The implications for that are up for debate, thats not what this thread is about. I argue that there is something more detrimental than stats. A stigma against american ships.

Now let me explain. Its not how well the ship actually preforms, its how people perceive it.

I was in a game in my Baltimore. Two brothers. I swept the east flank with some other ships and squashed the 2 ships they had there and moved onto their cap. It was me, full health, a damage Minitor, a Tirpitz, and a Takao. And a fletcher but hes irrelevant to my point. The Minitor was 3km closer to the enemy, and broadside on not in smoke. I was bow on, and the second i get spotted, a Zao, Montana, NC and Bismark all decided to shoot exclusively at me. This is not an isolated incident either, ive noticed it in other american ships too.

Beta Testers
5,082 posts
5,575 battles

I don't especially prioritize USN cruisers if that's any consolation, and I don't think many other experienced players do. Since you have the radar it can make you a priority target in some scenarios, but this is par for the course: situationally dangerous ships get prioritized in general.

If anything, I tend to deprioritize USN CAs when playing a BB/CA because I know that they have limited DPM and bouncy armor. In other words, not something that can hurt me nor something I can easily hurt.

Being broadside changes everything, naturally.

[-KIA-]
Banned
9,382 posts
28,311 battles

The stats show that most american ships lag behind they're counterparts  from other nations. The implications for that are up for debate, thats not what this thread is about. I argue that there is something more detrimental than stats. A stigma against american ships.

Now let me explain. Its not how well the ship actually preforms, its how people perceive it.

I was in a game in my Baltimore. Two brothers. I swept the east flank with some other ships and squashed the 2 ships they had there and moved onto their cap. It was me, full health, a damage Minitor, a Tirpitz, and a Takao. And a fletcher but hes irrelevant to my point. The Minitor was 3km closer to the enemy, and broadside on not in smoke. I was bow on, and the second i get spotted, a Zao, Montana, NC and Bismark all decided to shoot exclusively at me. This is not an isolated incident either, ive noticed it in other american ships too.

Pretty much.  I dubbed the phenomenon "Furutaka syndrome" because before her buffs in OBT, that ship got shot at by anything and everything on the opposing team and was treated as an absolute joke by players.  IJN DDs would regularly open fire on it because they were so unafraid of losing a gun duel, heck, Bogue and Langley drivers actually tried to ram one because of how slowly those guns fired; they stood a good chance of making contact before they were gunned down.

For New Orleans and above, I do tend to put some priority on them if they were in the situation you were, because of their potential to be carrying radar, which is a serious threat to my team's DDs.  But USN CAs without radar ready and/or far away from my DDs?  I don't give them any special priority.

Edited by TenguBlade

Members
11,026 posts
30,665 battles

With a few exceptions, USN ships lag behind by insignificant amounts in W/R.

Other stats aren't as useful, especially damage, since damage is heavily influenced by target choice.

USN CVs are completely screwed because CV mechanics in general are completely screwed up.

The only solvable problem with USN ships are mid/high tiers USN CA - and WG has already acknowledged this.

Members
266 posts
2,744 battles

Certain US Ships (high tier cruisers) are attractive targets. They're less threatening to close and attack, because no torpedos. They have higher freeboard than japanese cruisers, making them easier to hit. They're not quite as fast usually. The armor is greater, but not enough to usually matter. No healing at all until Baltimore, so all HP knocked off is knocked off permanently. 

if I have a choice of broadsiding a battleship at 9km or a cruiser at 9, I'll kill that cruiser every time.

[-K--]
Beta Testers
4,834 posts

This is easy.. Your a Radar ship.. in their cap.   A ship with radar is going to get called out.. and pounded in a cap.

Why ?   They most likely had DD's wanting to move in/torp/ contest.. Which with a click of 1 button.. you can take that away.

When i see a Radar Cruiser moving into a Cap.. and i see a DD at the same cap.   I will target and Press F3 to notify team to target them.  Soon as your dead.. the DD on my team can contest/torp/set in smoke and shoot away.

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
24,800 posts
3,947 battles

As a destroyer player I push my team to kill radar cruisers and refuse to push up or expose myself to HORRIBLE BURNING DEATH until said radar cruisers are removed.

[5IN]
Members
1,371 posts
33,735 battles

I always prioritize them cuz they are easy xp  crops but there is always the possibility that the people who opt to play them are the less able people to begin with.

chicken and egg, dumb people play a less competitive ship or the ship is less competitive because dumb people play them. In this case both are true in my estimation.

[-K--]
Beta Testers
4,834 posts

I always prioritize them cuz they are easy xp  crops but there is always the possibility that the people who opt to play them are the less able people to begin with.

chicken and egg, dumb people play a less competitive ship or the ship is less competitive because dumb people play them. In this case both are true in my estimation.

Not really true.   They are all a Gateway to the Des Moines.  and Competitive and good players know how its an amazing ship.

[A-D]
Beta Testers, Alpha Tester
2,638 posts

USN BBs, at least, do much better in regions where brawling is the meta. In NA, sniping is the meta, where USN ships are not as strong.

You got focused because you were close, really. xD And yes, radar ships are priority...

[TACO]
Beta Testers
562 posts
10,628 battles

Once I figured out US destroyers I find them to be my favorite DD class. I loved American BBs from the start but struggled with, oddly, the North Carolina, but love the Iowa. I liked US cruisers until NO and I'm grinding through Baltimore right now praying that Des Moines is half as fun in the NA meta as it is on PTRs. 

Beta Testers
1,022 posts
1,161 battles

People don't like freedom and democracy. Lol.

Constitutional Republic, Representative Democracy
  • Cool 1

Members
1,776 posts
6,776 battles

Dunno, I chose to play on a US server to shoot Americans. That way I dont have to focus that much

Or

Perhaps it is because you are perfectly broadside in US ships?