You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Ducati_Black

If French BB's are being built...please let this be the T10

59 comments in this topic

[-BRS-]
Members
472 posts
20,598 battles

I was just researching possibilities for the French line and saw this beastly looking thing:

Q5QWdgS.png

Your thoughts??

[LLMF]
Alpha Tester
2,538 posts

Well they just updated the 2017 list to include a blurb on "two new French lines" which doesn't say BB right now it says "DD" and "Cruiser".  But yeah, battleships would rock.

[-BRS-]
Members
472 posts
20,598 battles

Won't be a tier X, she's weaker than what we have there. Alsace should be at tier IX

Oh? That's as high of a BB I could find... Do you have a recommended replacement?

[SEAL]
Beta Testers
14 posts
11,463 battles

If WG does not plan to give the 380mm some magical penetration, it will likely be a T9 at most. Oh and 380mm cannot overmatch 27mm Baltimore, DM bow.:trollface:

Edited by ISBANMCBA

[CALM]
Beta Testers
6,838 posts
6,088 battles

Oh? That's as high of a BB I could find... Do you have a recommended replacement?

No, but WG did say they have a French 450mm cannon with sufficient details to make it work in-game, but it is missing the intended hull that was to carry it.

WG will likely make use of it on an enlarged/refined/evolved Alsace, for 12x 450mm, across 3 quad turrets.

• Cool 1

[-BRS-]
Members
472 posts
20,598 battles

If WG does not plan to give the 380mm some magical penetration, it will likely be a T9 at most. Oh and 380mm cannot overmatch 27mm Baltimore, DM bow.:trollface:

Ah gotcha...the wiki did say it could have gone up to 403. I don't know if that would have been much better.

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
3,985 posts
2,373 battles

Won't be a tier X, she's weaker than what we have there. Alsace should be at tier IX

The T10 could be a scaled-up Alsace.  IIRC, there were French proposals for 16"+ rifles that WG shouldn't have problems "uncovering sekret dokuments" for.

Edit: Yamato-ninja'd

[-K-]
Supertest Coordinator, Alpha Tester, WoWS Community Contributors, Wiki Editor
6,526 posts
28,456 battles

how quickly can she reverse?

• Cool 3

Members
252 posts
3,108 battles

Tier VIII, IMHO. Not enough gun power to fit in with the 400mm + club that encompasses all of Tier IX and X, and her speed is nothing remarkable among them either. At Tier VIII, however, she'd be very well balanced against a Bismarck, with one more 380mm gun and a ferocious secondary battery that's basically the equivalent of strapping a Nurnberg's main guns on. Give her a high AA rating and a long secondary range (similar to the Bismarck), and she can do very well indeed.

That being said, if you're also looking to add the Jean Bart at some point, you could give her 380mm guns higher overall penetration values and fit her in at Tier IX while saving the Richelieu/Jean Bart  for Tier VIII instead.

[CALM]
Beta Testers
6,838 posts
6,088 battles

Here's one example of the 450mm.

Daigensui, on 10 September 2015 - 11:44 PM, said:

Still looking to see if a design fitting the following gun could be found.

450 mm modèle 1920

Caliber: 450mm/45
Total Weight: 128,000 kg
Length: 21,070 mm
Bore: 20,260 mm
Length of Rifling: 16,607.6 mm
Chamber Volume: 3,500 km/cm3
Shell weight: 1,366 kg
Muzzle velocity: 875 m/s

Around 50cm penetration on belt at 10km and 34.4cm at 20km for the original soft cap AP. Nothing about deck armor penetration, since the French of 1920 weren't planning for plunging shots.

Shell weight is about 300kg heavier than the Russian 16" shell planned for Sovetsky Soyuz and Project 24, and about 100kg heavier than the ShS shells used by Iowa and Montana.

Caliber just allows for ignoring of some autobounce.  Combined with pretty high velocity (only rivaled by possible T10 Italian and Russian BBs), would do some sizable damage.

[HINON]
[HINON]
Wiki Lead, Beta Testers, Privateers
6,801 posts
5,248 battles

Tier VIII, IMHO. Not enough gun power to fit in with the 400mm + club that encompasses all of Tier IX and X, and her speed is nothing remarkable among them either. At Tier VIII, however, she'd be very well balanced against a Bismarck, with one more 380mm gun and a ferocious secondary battery that's basically the equivalent of strapping a Nurnberg's main guns on. Give her a high AA rating and a long secondary range (similar to the Bismarck), and she can do very well indeed.

That being said, if you're also looking to add the Jean Bart at some point, you could give her 380mm guns higher overall penetration values and fit her in at Tier IX while saving the Richelieu/Jean Bart  for Tier VIII instead.

Those aren't triple turrets friend, they're quad turrets.

Members
252 posts
3,108 battles

Those aren't triple turrets friend, they're quad turrets.

Really? I know the Dunkuerque and Richelieu had quad 380mm turrets, but from what I read below and the graphic above, it looks like the Alsace was designed with triple turrets in mind.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alsace-class_battleship

That being said, if they WERE quad turrets, I can easily see this being slotted in at Tier IX, using the profound number of barrels and a high ROF to act as a cruiser-killer and a permanent headache... :D

[CALM]
Beta Testers
6,838 posts
6,088 battles

Really? I know the Dunkuerque and Richelieu had quad 380mm turrets, but from what I read below and the graphic above, it looks like the Alsace was designed with triple turrets in mind.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alsace-class_battleship

That being said, if they WERE quad turrets, I can easily see this being slotted in at Tier IX, using the profound number of barrels and a high ROF to act as a cruiser-killer and a permanent headache... :D

Wikipedia is showing me Quads:

Alsace.svg

Members
252 posts
3,108 battles

Ah-gotcha. I believe that's the N3 design you're referring to. The N1 design (listed under that picture on the Wikipedia page) uses triple turrets instead. It's a mix-up: Wikipedia uses the picture from the N3 but lists the loadout of the N1. From the 'Design' section of the page:

"First, the main artillery consists in triple 380 mm turrets, for type n°1, in 406 mm triple turrets, for type n°2, in 380 mm quadruple turrets, for type n°3."

Given the N3 turrets, I think it would be a solid fit at Tier IX.

[-K--]
Members
589 posts
14,723 battles

The diagrams make it look like it would have a very poor forward firing arc for the rear turret, but (somewhat) made up for by having two-thirds of its firepower up front (unlike e.g. the Kurfürst which also has derpy rear firing arcs but for half its guns). Looks like a fun ship.

Members
1,716 posts
8,224 battles

Looks like an interesting and fun ship to have in port, as long as it did not S.O.S. constantly for USN ships to come bail them out of trouble, even better. :teethhappy:

[CALM]
Beta Testers
6,838 posts
6,088 battles

N3 is pretty ideal for T9.  A logical evolution of the Richelieu at T8.  And with 12 of those guns, can pile on a fair bit of hurt.  Moreso if they go with an ideal 2.2rpm on the guns (at least on the final hull).

All that remains is WG getting split turrets working (attempted in internal testing for Dunk, but shelved it after being unable to get it working) so that we have in effect 6 turrets that need to actually be destroyed to put Alsace out of commission (and 4 for Richelieu/Jean Bart and Dunk).

[OPGS]
Beta Testers
61 posts
7,511 battles

Google the Super Alasace. It had multiple designs but the main one included 4x3 450mm guns. The 450s wee never built, nor were French 16" guns, only the 15" was ever in service. Will be interesting to see what they choose.

Members
252 posts
3,108 battles

don't care what T10 is, simply want to see teh Danton in game

Would be a decent Tier III BB, especially if you replace all the twin 240mm guns with single 305mm ones instead to give it a seven-gun broadside. The Courbet would have a 10-gun broadside and be too overpowered at Tier III (with the heaviest broadside and tied for highest speed), so she probably gets bumped to Tier IV instead.

Beta Testers
408 posts
6,297 battles

Here's one example of the 450mm.

Shell weight is about 300kg heavier than the Russian 16" shell planned for Sovetsky Soyuz and Project 24, but lighter than the ShS shells used by Iowa and Montana.  Caliber just allows for ignoring of some autobounce.  Combined with pretty high velocity (only rivaled by possible T10 Italian and Russian BBs), would offset the lack of AP damage from her lighter shells.

Just a slight correction, if the 450mm/45 actually fired the described round, weighing 1,336 kg, it would be heavier than the SHS 16" shell fired by the Americans as that is usually quoted to weight 2700lbs (1227kg).

If the round is indeed 1,366kg, that puts it at just over 3000lbs (3005.2lbs to be more precise) meaning it would just be shy of the Yamato's AP round which is usually quoted as 3200lbs iirc.

So it's entirely possible to have the French guns hit harder than the American 16" but less then the IJN 18.1" if used in game.

Members
252 posts
3,108 battles

Someone already posted a photoshop of what the T10 French BB should be :D

egsoko.jpg

PLOT TWIST: THOSE ARE ALL 240mm GUNS. :D