Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
DQCraze

CV play question

12 comments in this topic

[WB]
Members
153 posts
13,160 battles

Whats the point of putting a tier 7 Carrier in a tier 9 match.  They just put my ranger on a map where the enemy team had 7 tier 9 ships and 3 tier 8.   The AA was so strong i couldnt get close to any CA or BB and basically spent the match trying to reveal enemy DDs.  

• Cool 1

Members
3,679 posts
8,111 battles

err...that is a known problem...

But try using your strike groups close to your team's push wave should help.

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,245 posts
21,656 battles

How did your score compare to enemy cv score?

Is he complaining?

Did you use your fighters to bait AA first.

[WB]
Members
153 posts
13,160 battles

How did your score compare to enemy cv score?

Is he complaining?

Did you use your fighters to bait AA first.

We were both at the bottom of the list, basically stuck trying to figure out how to get points without getting our planes vaporized and i had a strike loadout, fighters would have been even worse. 

[WOLF3]
Members
28,180 posts
24,550 battles

High Tier CV play is a problem from Tier VIII onwards.  VII is okay but when facing Tier IX AA it's completely unpleasant.  Even Hiryu's TBs, which are Tier VI aircraft at best, going against Tier IX AA are completely useless.

From VII on, the CV has to be extremely patient early in the match.  For example, you can't go right away for the Battleships since teams tend to be bunched up at the beginning.  Mutual AA will murder you.  Pick off DDs as you can early on (your team will LOVE you for that).  Once the teams splinter, or you see an isolated ship, then attack!  Most especially a BB that has suffered some good damage, especially focus fire.  Even high tier USN BB AA can be rendered weak after they've been worn down enough.

You have to be patient.  If the opposing team is actually staying together for the duration of the match, there's nothing you can do but make very sound "Risk vs Reward" attacks.

• Cool 2

[NSF]
Members
42 posts
2,188 battles

Whats the point of putting a tier 7 Carrier in a tier 9 match.  They just put my ranger on a map where the enemy team had 7 tier 9 ships and 3 tier 8.   The AA was so strong i couldnt get close to any CA or BB and basically spent the match trying to reveal enemy DDs.  

The problem stems from several things, but HazeGrayUnderway above mentions good points about the AA overlap at higher tiers.

One thing especially is to train yourself to become aware of the AA bubbles ships can put out. Wargaming doesn't give CVs the tools to do this except by using your torpedo manual drop line and a bit of mental estimation. Due to the way the RNG game is played, the longer you spend within the AA bubble, the greater the chance of your units being obliterated by the AA due to them receiving a greater amount of rolls.

Especially when uptiered it can be rough, since they will basically not miss, especially when combined with improved AA "skills" and the manual AA ability. My next recommendation may be outside of meta considerations, but I suggest attempting drops from a big farther away - one km farther out is 1 KM in, and 1 KM out, so really saves you 2km inside the AA bubble and might even keep you outside of the mid-range bubble.

For dive bombers this is unfortunately not a solution.

One other recommendation is doing a quick zoom in on the target of choice before you engage in your attack run - if you can see him moving his turrets, there's a chance he's zoomed in and will have a delay on the manual aa click, which again - every second means another rng roll for your planes to die or not. If he is engaged with one of your teammates then at best you might catch him with his pants down and connect with hits, but second best is forcing him to turn broadside to your ally to punish.

[NG-NL]
Members
6,258 posts
10,088 battles

Had this problem in Hiryu and Shokaku a fair bit.

1) Spot DDs for the team

2) Attack the DDs

3) Spot CAs and BBs from outside their AA range

4) Attack only lone ships

5) If enemy CV's running strike, expect a snipe attempt if you don't see his bombers within first four minutes

I still did pretty well, and this was before spotting mechanics got rewarded.

Basically everyone will do the manual AA click on your TB or DB, because they're jerks abusing the extra DPS from that, so have to make your shots count.

• Cool 1

Members
2,646 posts
4,285 battles

Had this problem in Hiryu and Shokaku a fair bit.

1) Spot DDs for the team

2) Attack the DDs

3) Spot CAs and BBs from outside their AA range

4) Attack only lone ships

5) If enemy CV's running strike, expect a snipe attempt if you don't see his bombers within first four minutes

I still did pretty well, and this was before spotting mechanics got rewarded.

Basically everyone will do the manual AA click on your TB or DB, because they're jerks abusing the extra DPS from that, so have to make your shots count.

To take a moment to rant,  that is the worst skill bar none.  I have no idea how they thought it was a good idea to double damage against planes for just taking the time to click on them.  It is absolutely broken in the worst way.

[HYD]
Members
7,105 posts
5,289 battles

To take a moment to rant,  that is the worst skill bar none.  I have no idea how they thought it was a good idea to double damage against planes for just taking the time to click on them.  It is absolutely broken in the worst way.

It's doubled only for large caliber AA. So depending on the ship, this made provide a huge benefit or very little benefit. 

Members
2,646 posts
4,285 battles

It's doubled only for large caliber AA. So depending on the ship, this made provide a huge benefit or very little benefit. 

Typically it looks like its 127's that benefit from it,  but from all my digging its always just one set of AA guns on each ship,  the long range AA.  So its not actually as bad as I thought but it does mean that the guns that will be firing on your planes the longest will get the most benefit from a skill that is literally just clicking on a target and letting RNG do the rest.
  • Cool 1

Members
405 posts
2,447 battles

Wargaming in a nutshell. Screwing CVs over since they nerfed CVS EVERY PATCH!

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
9,252 posts
23,616 battles

BTW this is a problem even in PvE not just random. I tend to use my attack aircraft to go after DDs early on, it is tuff but doable. I hold my fighters back a bit and keep them over friendlies to bait the bot fighters and protect my team's ships. After all the cruisers have been thinned out, that's when I attack the BBs like a maniac. Make sure you know what ships have defensive AA, use your bombers to attack and let them get massacred. Then ya wait till it is on cool down and attack with torp planes. You lose a lot of aircraft but you have a large hanger capacity at tiers 7 and 8. Not sure if this strategy would work well in PvP though.

Sign in to follow this