You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Cruiser_YahagiKai

Mega internet outage across the country

30 comments in this topic

[JKSDF]
Beta Testers
545 posts
2,691 battles

So my internet's been down for the better part of two hours now and I've been tethered to my phone, and I disconnected in the middle of a Nagato game (that apparently was won because the enemy team shot at my DC'd hulk for five minutes). I checked outage websites on my service (AT&T) as well as those of Time Warner Cable, Spectrum, Cox, and Comcast... And it appears that many cities across the country have been reporting phone and internet outages at alarming rates for the past twenty-four hours. Anyone else have their internet down right now? 

[-K-]
SuperTest Coordinator, WoWS Community Contributors
5,967 posts
22,119 battles

So you're asking on a forum which requires Internet access if peoples' Internet is working?

Better check on that refrigerator while you're at it :)

• Cool 3

[JKSDF]
Beta Testers
545 posts
2,691 battles

So you're asking on a forum which requires Internet access if peoples' Internet is working?

Better check on that refrigerator while you're at it :)

Could be tethered like I am, or just posting on their phones. Just thought I'd throw it out there, y'know? You'll have to forgive me if this is really stupid to you, but I've nothing better to do at the moment while I wait for this stuff to come back up. Ankle's sprained so I can't take a jog, I'm too awake for a nap, and I'm not motivated to doodle, lol.
Edited by Cruiser_Louisville

[-K-]
SuperTest Coordinator, WoWS Community Contributors
5,967 posts
22,119 battles

Could be tethered like I am, or just posting on their phones. Just thought I'd throw it out there, y'know? You'll have to forgive me if this is really stupid to you, but I've nothing better to do at the moment while I wait for this stuff to come back up. Ankle's sprained so I can't take a jog, I'm too awake for a nap, and I'm not motivated to doodle, lol.

lol no worries I'm just busting your chops!

That said, there's definitely something up - downdetector shows a lot of outages, and I'm having some serious lag issues with wows.  Not sure if it's the game or maybe it's the Internet - but I keep trying to play PTS and getting kicked to the login screen after a while.  

[ZAZEN]
Alpha Tester
404 posts
8,964 battles

If I don't make it to the end of this sentence then my internet probably is do...

• Cool 1

Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
796 posts
4,080 battles

Probably a fiber line cut somewhere, when the ISP I worked for had that issue it would take at least 8-12 hours to find it and fix it. 

[JKSDF]
Beta Testers
545 posts
2,691 battles

lol no worries I'm just busting your chops!

That said, there's definitely something up - downdetector shows a lot of outages, and I'm having some serious lag issues with wows.  Not sure if it's the game or maybe it's the Internet - but I keep trying to play PTS and getting kicked to the login screen after a while.  

Ahhh I took that way more seriously than I should've, then. Been a long... Evening... day... thing (I have an odd sleep schedule).

I did notice that I was getting kicked to the login screen at random up until my net dropped. PTS, however, is Russian Server based as far as I know, though.

Probably a fiber line cut somewhere, when the ISP I worked for had that issue it would take at least 8-12 hours to find it and fix it. 

I thought that at first, too, but, have you seen downdetector, though?

Maps be lookin like these:

7qyLIBU.png

cLoBse5.png

9cgttYo.png

wz51VjD.png

796 posts
4,080 battles

Just found this. http://www.turnto23.com/news/local-news/att-workers-report-statewide-phone-internet-outages-due-to-unresolved-infrastructure-issues

[JKSDF]
Beta Testers
545 posts
2,691 battles

Probably weather related than or a bunch of squirrels all teamed up and decided to chew the lines at once.

It's the squirrels. DEFINITELY the squirrels.

[--K--]
Members
5,391 posts
17,906 battles

About 7 years ago northern Missouri and parts of southern Iowa lost internet and land line phones for 12 hours. We only had cell service. Come to find out a company was laying a new internet cable and managed to cut a major internet trunk line. 

:facepalm:

Of all the people who should know to Call Before You Dig. 

Its amazing what you can do with a 12 hour internet outage lol. 

796 posts
4,080 battles

About 7 years ago northern Missouri and parts of southern Iowa lost internet and land line phones for 12 hours. We only had cell service. Come to find out a company was laying a new internet cable and managed to cut a major internet trunk line. 

:facepalm:

Of all the people who should know to Call Before You Dig. 

Its amazing what you can do with a 12 hour internet outage lol. 

You'd be amazed at how many calls I fielded cause idiots wouldn't get locates done before digging than complain cause we couldn't get out there till the next day. 

[--K--]
Members
5,391 posts
17,906 battles

You'd be amazed at how many calls I fielded cause idiots wouldn't get locates done before digging than complain cause we couldn't get out there till the next day. 

I can only imagine. 

The Rural county I live in has some of the fastest fiber internet in the state. We've lost phone and net because someone drove a backhoe with the rear bucket in the air through the line. Yes they hung the fiber from the power poles, while being cost effective for getting the line everywhere does cause problems when a person drives a car into a pole. And I can't prove it but the internet acts funny when we get wind gusts over 20mps. 

[ERN]
Modder, Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
10,892 posts
4,881 battles

I keep getting kicked offline from the game today. But after my 4th match, I had enough. time to log off for the day

[HINON]
Privateers, Privateers
6,800 posts
5,020 battles

I am, it just stopped working Monday night and didn't come back. Computer Says 'internet access' but any website can't connect, and my Xbox can't connect to Xbox live at all.

[WOLF8]
Members
613 posts
9,228 battles

I thought that at first, too, but, have you seen downdetector, though?

Maps be lookin like these:

cLoBse5.png

Odd, I've got Comcast and I'm in the middle of the red blob on the east coast and I'm good.  :unsure:

Edited by Slammer58

[JKSDF]
Beta Testers
545 posts
2,691 battles

I keep getting kicked offline from the game today. But after my 4th match, I had enough. time to log off for the day

Managed to happen three times before my internet went down. Internet's still down and I'm just thankful phone is still up and I have an unlimited data plan lol.

Odd, I've got Comcast and I'm in the middle of the red blob on the east coast and I'm good.  :unsure:

The outages do seem to be rather spotty. Friend of mine has the same internet service as one of the massive red blobs over California, he's still running just fine. Wonder if there's some really weird backbone issue right now. 

[TBCIC]
Members
587 posts
7,407 battles

Time to implement disaster mitigation smoke signaling, semaphore & telegraph communications?

2vOh8kx.jpg

796 posts
4,080 battles

I can only imagine. 

The Rural county I live in has some of the fastest fiber internet in the state. We've lost phone and net because someone drove a backhoe with the rear bucket in the air through the line. Yes they hung the fiber from the power poles, while being cost effective for getting the line everywhere does cause problems when a person drives a car into a pole. And I can't prove it but the internet acts funny when we get wind gusts over 20mps. 

it is cheaper and easier to fix when its in the air. If its underground we go to the closet tap(those usually brown or green boxes you will see) and run a line directly to the household and tell you it will be 2-4 months before you can bury it. I'm in Canada so during the winter we can't really bury anything and you'll wait till the following year.

[-K-]
Alpha Tester
1,876 posts
7,898 battles

Well my internet seems to love going down when I need it the most. Need fast downloads? Disconnect. Playing WOWS? Disconnect. Doing nothing? Sometimes still disconnect. Basically it goes down so often I just assume my ISP is a bunch of stingy ******** who take my money & go haha. I literally have to throttle everything so it doesn't decide to drop for my whole house even though it's perfectly capable of using higher speeds.

Basically for me it's always been the same. Oh and don't get me started on nights, basically have no internet for an entire night sometimes.

[JKSDF]
Beta Testers
545 posts
2,691 battles

Well my internet seems to love going down when I need it the most. Need fast downloads? Disconnect. Playing WOWS? Disconnect. Doing nothing? Sometimes still disconnect. Basically it goes down so often I just assume my ISP is a bunch of stingy ******** who take my money & go haha. I literally have to throttle everything so it doesn't decide to drop for my whole house even though it's perfectly capable of using higher speeds.

Basically for me it's always been the same. Oh and don't get me started on nights, basically have no internet for an entire night sometimes.

Y'know, that honestly just sounds like Comcast.

[FAE]
Members
2,616 posts
3,631 battles

Internet outages/being inexplicably slow and Comcast are so frustrating. 

I know the feeling, being injured and not able to do active things.  Or wanting to take some time off and do what you want, only to find you can't. 
I know I should for instance practice piano more, but heck, I don't feel like it either.  

Beta Testers
2,029 posts

it is cheaper and easier to fix when its in the air. If its underground we go to the closet tap(those usually brown or green boxes you will see) and run a line directly to the household and tell you it will be 2-4 months before you can bury it. I'm in Canada so during the winter we can't really bury anything and you'll wait till the following year.

Sounds like you might be on the prairies too.  It's -48 with the wind today where I am.