Junkieturtle

Suggestion: Visual Icon when teammate uses certain consumables

• You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.

28 posts in this topic

How about on your main screen when looking at a friendly player, an icon becomes present when that player is using consumables like radar, sonar, def AA, etc etc. An option could be present either to turn the icons off entirely, or perhaps just to limit them to the Alternate View.

Or, going in a bit of a different direction, how about some speech hotkeys for when you're going to use a consumable. Could even go as far as not making it a hotkey at all, but rather automatically broadcasting(flashing, audio, etc) to your teammates when you activate a non-personal consumable.

Oh lordy, please don't let someone reply and say they already have these things in the game, and I've somehow missed them over 6k games.

this is not in the game, no.

Biggest use I could see for this is teammates can see that I've already used damage control and that's why I'm not repairing the flooding caused by their badly aimed torpedoes.

Could be helpful to tell whose radar/sonar/DF has been activated so that you can use/hold back those of your own.

+1

Could be useful, especially to help those like myself who can't type worth a damn to communicate our intentions.

Would be very helpful in some situations.  Not wasting radar if someone else has it active as mentioned above.  Also, being in a ship without radar and seeing someone else has it active and nothing is lit giving you the confidence to round the corner immediately would be nice.

This is suppose to be a battle during WW2 time frame. There was not much communication between ships during battles! .

This would be very helpful for aiding those who don't read chat and/or don't read/write in the client's primary language very well.  I could definitely see this being a thing.

Maybe RPF should be reworked to provide consumable information on spotted enemy ships instead of the garbage it is right now.

This is suppose to be a battle during WW2 time frame. There was not much communication between ships during battles! .

Realism is hardly a justification for why something should or shouldn't be in an arcade game. 

Great idea, Junkieturtle... you should post this in Pigeon_of_War's suggestion thread.

Edited by Kombat_W0MBAT

I believe this, or something very similar to it, has been suggested before.

That being said, it is still an excellent suggestion, and something worth adding to the game. I agree with W0mbat, put it in Pigeon's thread.

That would be a nice addition to the game. Then you could share HP with other pub BBs pretty easily. Just seeing when they have their repair and DCP on cooldown, and switching off with them for front-tank duties if a push is actually happening.

Would also remove all doubt on the BBs who don't wanna team-play responsibly and let one guy get focused down until he's dead cause muh free damage time.

I think we're already getting too saturated with HUD clutter. We don't need yet more to replace communications players should be doing themselves.

If this were ever put in, the sheer number of icons needed to list all the consumables would make the game too busy to actually enjoy. I'd hope WG would have the sense to make this sort of thing able to be disabled for those who don't need it.

How about on your main screen when looking at a friendly player, an icon becomes present when that player is using consumables like radar, sonar, def AA, etc etc. An option could be present either to turn the icons off entirely, or perhaps just to limit them to the Alternate View.

Or, going in a bit of a different direction, how about some speech hotkeys for when you're going to use a consumable. Could even go as far as not making it a hotkey at all, but rather automatically broadcasting(flashing, audio, etc) to your teammates when you activate a non-personal consumable.

I would be all over this.  There are some visual cues for certain abilities but they're easy to miss.  Some of these effects require you to have "small object details" maximized.

•  Damage Control Party:  Fires go out / damage over time effects (namely hit points dropping at steady intervals) ceases.  No other visual indicator.
  •  Repair Party:  Hit points begin restoring.  No other visual indicator.
  •  Defensive Fire:  The number of AA tracers increases significantly, but proportionate to the number of large caliber dual purpose guns. 
  •  Smoke Generator:  White smoke begins rising from the ship's funnel.
  •  Aircraft:  The catapult aircraft visibly launches.

I would much prefer if some icon appeared overtop or if there was some form of radio chatter that either a player could broadcast or that automatically went off when they used a consumable.  This is especially true of the detection consumables, like hydroacoustic search and radar which currently have no indicator.

I'm all for this idea, Junkieturtle. Extra information like this is always good. Good thought!

+1. yes would be very helpful. No over laps for radar/hydro. Being aware enough to tank damage for a teammate who recently used repair/dmg party comsumable, as well as float plane fighter/spotting over laps.

Simple Icon over your teammate's Name/HP bar would be pretty easy to add-in one would think?

Didn't need to be. One person gave orders, and the rest did what they were told lol.

Plus, almost all of our consumables are either "magic spells", or things that a ship would be assumed to be doing whenever necessary.

I love this idea and want to see it in the game. People with influence with WG please share this idea with them.

True, but then again, irl, radar was not a consumable that had a cool down timer, nor did hydro.

I love the first part of this idea... +1 sir... o7

I do not like the idea of speech hotkeys though...  Unless it's not player controlled.... If its automagic that the game puts in chat then that is fine, but much rather have an icon over my teammate with the consumable being used (hell even a timer too??)

•  Defensive Fire:  The number of AA tracers increases significantly, but proportionate to the number of large caliber dual purpose guns. 

Just pointing out that the AA tracer increase is almost unnoticeable without "Animate Small Objects" on.

This would be very helpful for aiding those who don't read chat and/or don't read/write in the client's primary language very well.  I could definitely see this being a thing.

Maybe RPF should be reworked to provide consumable information on spotted enemy ships instead of the garbage it is right now.

I'm sold, it would make RPF a nice tool for CV's, they'd know when a cruiser or DD turned on defensive fire, or for a DD knowing when someone is using radar. It would help further the intelligence war that WarGaming is so determined to make us fight, without a large disadvantage to any specific class it's being used against, or any massive advantage to any class using it, but the flame-throwers, I mean high tier cruisers, may get a slight advantage...