Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
ArIskandir

A plea for Torps quick message key

F-Key for Torpedo warning  

69 members have voted

1. 1. I would like to have a dedicated quick message key for warning about torpedoes fired

49 comments in this topic

[SALVO]
Members
5,225 posts
4,504 battles

The idea isn't mine, but I think it would be very helpful in preventing those very annoying incidents of friendly torp hits.

In the words of a better player:

just having a key assigned to a quick message for "firing torpedoes! look out!" would help, kinda like we have for "affirmative!" "good luck and fair seas" and stuff like that.

I think it is something very simple to implement and more useful than some of the current F-key quick message options.

inb4 f-key spammers and griefers: Yes we can have "cry wolf" situations but I would prefer having the option anyway. If you like the idea please sign in.

• Cool 5

Beta Testers
927 posts
4,717 battles

A better idea is to not torp when you're not on the front line.

It's not the prerogative of your teammates to watch out for your stupidity so why have a button to tell them to?

• Cool 9

[SCCC]
Members
3,177 posts
12,787 battles

It's not the prerogative of your teammates to watch out for your stupidity so why have a button to tell them to?

This. 
  • Cool 1

[NERO]
Members
3,630 posts

Because sometimes mistakes happen and most good players are willing to avoid the odd stray torp like it's no big deal? 
  • Cool 5

[TSF_1]
Members
3,301 posts
7,732 battles

Because sometimes mistakes happen and most good players are willing to avoid the odd stray torp like it's no big deal? 

This

[SALVO]
Members
5,225 posts
4,504 battles

Because it happens nonetheless, would you prefer to at least have a warning about it?

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
27,103 posts
14,728 battles

I agree it would be nice and actually useful but we already have too many that think bad launches are not their problem. All in all it would be a benefit.

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
3,985 posts
2,106 battles

inb4 f-key spammers and griefers: Yes we can have "cry wolf" situations but I would prefer having the option anyway. If you like the idea please sign in.

This could be partially prevented by only making the comment available to players with active torpedoes in the water.  Could also be directed toward one specific player by centering your crosshairs on them, thus sparing the rest of the team from an irrelevant message.

• Cool 3

Beta Testers
927 posts
4,717 battles

Sure but if it's just for the rare mistake then it's hardly necessary to have a button dedicated to it.

A button implies it's not your fault. Just spray and if you hit a friendly, "well I hit the warning button so you should've moved".

I think it would reinforce the idea that some players have where they're not responsible for their fish. That's why I'm against it.

• Cool 1

[SALVO]
Members
5,225 posts
4,504 battles

This could be partially prevented by only making the comment available to players with active torpedoes in the water.  Could also be directed toward one specific player by centering your crosshairs on them, thus sparing the rest of the team from an irrelevant message.

I like it

Alpha Tester
2,716 posts
4,076 battles

Because it happens nonetheless, would you prefer to at least have a warning about it?

If they are clueless enough to shoot torps with allies in front of them... they aren't going to hit a button to warn. Just saying
  • Cool 2

[NERO]
Members
3,630 posts

Sure but if it's just for the rare mistake then it's hardly necessary to have a button dedicated to it.

A button implies it's not your fault. Just spray and if you hit a friendly, "well I hit the warning button so you should've moved".

I think it would reinforce the idea that some players have where they're not responsible for their fish. That's why I'm against it.

Personal I'd rather they let us macro our own messages and bind them to keys. 

Example: Back in EverQuest (hush, I'm old) we'd often set up our own keybound messages for vital information we couldn't take the time to type. Back in the day before voice chat you know. 

I'd love to be able to bind a message saying I'm turning on hydro or radar when I switch them on, or that I'm sending torps at a target that /might/ end up a possible risk for a downrange ship if they hang a 180 and go try and hug the target. Yeah, some people might just hit a torp alert every time they torp... but as someone who always uses his turn signal when changing lanes, I see nothing wrong with /more/ communication. 

• Cool 1

[PLPTR]
[PLPTR]
Beta Testers
1,252 posts
6,292 battles

Have you ever played a sims?

I generally find it my prerogative to not hit torpedoes regardless of where they come from, run into other boats, or hit islands. Its all kinda the same thing. 

I take this philsophy into real life as well, where if I am walking down the road I prefer not to get hit by vehicles, regardless of who would be 'at fault' it is your job not to cut into your allies torps.

Can't say I have ever shot torps into an ally, but I have certainly had one completely change course, come out from behind and island, and go to point blank range with the enemy ship I fired on and then eat not only my friendly torps, but two other peoples that did the same.

But you know, they got rear ended so it was obviously the fault of the person behind them 100% of the time right? We should just remove break lights from cars because, hell, it's not my problem if the guy behind me doesn't stop.

Edited by Cpt_RickSchwifty

[SALVO]
Members
5,225 posts
4,504 battles

If they are clueless enough to shoot torps with allies in front of them... they aren't going to hit a button to warn. Just saying

Well, yeah, but at least there would be a tool for the not-so-very-clueless capable of pushing a button after realizing they are endangering a team mate. 

In any case would be more useful than %$*!(curse) key

Privateers
728 posts
9,020 battles

message saying I'm turning on hydro or radar

I wouldn't mind having keys for each consumable. Would be good for at least tying to communicate in randoms. Especially so for radar and defensive fire.

Members
104 posts
2,032 battles

I see people warning about poorly thought-out torp drops all the time, although maybe I'm just an odd one out.

[CVA16]
Members
5,650 posts
17,431 battles

It would be abused and any hits are still the firing ships fault BUT, I have tunnel visioned launched only to realize a friendly is potentially in the path and would love a QUICK way to warn him. For me, typing a message will probably come too late. There is also the case when you are knife fighting another ship (super tunnelvision) and can't really keep track of where your TT will go if they miss. On the receiving end, I sometimes ignore torpedo warnings coming from allied ships ASSUMING they took proper care in firing but it would be good to know if they suddenly realized they had not.

[FROGS]
Beta Testers
339 posts
1,792 battles

But when they do screw up  , would you like a little warning or  a watery grave?
  • Cool 1

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
24,800 posts
3,895 battles

I wouldn't mind having keys for each consumable. Would be good for at least tying to communicate in randoms. Especially so for radar and defensive fire.

Honestly this kind of thing should be automated. You hit T for Defensive Fire and an alert goes to the team

Audio: "All batteries engaging enemy aircraft!" / "Teki no hikōki o hakai suru!" / "Engagierende feindliche Flugzeuge."

Team Chat:

Destroyer_Kiyoshimo: Defensive Fire active.

[WOLF7]
Members
741 posts
19,340 battles

IDK how many times a team mate happens to be where my torps might end up so I don't fire them, and then I die. A warning key might not help but it wouldn't hurt either.

[WOLF1]
Members
9,915 posts
14,377 battles

shot-15.12.15_14.01.27-0426_zpsooqwcdux.

:great:    :great:  :great:

Edited by pmgaudio

[WOLF4]
Beta Testers
434 posts

Agreed.

Members
2,136 posts
6,385 battles

It would be annoying, there are players that would just keep hitting that key, just for fun. Next you are going to want one if you fire your guns. No.

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
24,800 posts
3,895 battles

I see a lot of people focusing on "They fired torpedoes at all" and choosing to harp on the shooter for shooting at all

That's not what the thread is about.

The thread is about "Oh crap I shouldn't have shot those, watch out guys" as a hotkey message with an associated "Torpedo alert" audio message.

Please stay on topic.

Edited by Destroyer_Kiyoshimo
  • Cool 1

Sign in to follow this