Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
SnickerDoodle99

Help Das Noob!!??

9 comments in this topic

[OWIZ]
Members
52 posts

Okay, I've failed my way up to a Yamato (yay me!) And I'm finding myself outplayed by other battleships a lot. So someone please educate me! 

I can take out cruisers without much problem, but where am I supposed to be aiming to get the big citadel smacks on enemy battleships? Is it under the front turrets? Under the super structure? I can sometimes get 1 or 2 cits, but I traded shots with an opposing yamato yesterday at close range, I got 13K damage, he got 75k. Now I realize I was angled badly after coming around and island, but he was also somewhat exposed. So where should I be aiming?

Members
2,709 posts
17,046 battles

Providing replays would help. Witness testimony is notoriously unreliable.

Otherwise, use the armor model feature in port to learn where the weak points are of your bigger foes.

[GRETA]
Members
299 posts
10,271 battles

2 general rules for playing BBs. 

-In mid-to-close combat keep your bow pointed toward the enemy.

-If an enemy BB is broadside aim for the mid waterline for cit hits.

[-FBS-]
Members
2,646 posts
4,290 battles

At close range Yamato can citadel from the front basically every bow on Battleship (Because your shells overmatch bow armor so it's like its not even there) except the T10 and maybe? the T9 German BB. (Cuz they get surprising levels of bow armor) 

Facing off against another Yamato you may need to angle a bit? Not sure, haven't done much Yamato x Yamato fights at close range. 

Members
3,959 posts
7,738 battles

Facing off against another Yamato you may need to angle a bit? Not sure, haven't done much Yamato x Yamato fights at close range. 

The other way around. Yammy can be citpenned through the "cheek" when angled (spot roughly between the two front turrets) because of its citadel shape.

[SCCC]
Members
3,177 posts
12,787 battles

Armor viewer is your friend :)

Against another Yamato, due to the nature of the front citadel bulkhead, it's easy to penetrate when the Yamato is somewhat angled when you aim under the first turret.

[NERO]
Members
3,630 posts

Okay, I've failed my way up to a Yamato (yay me!) And I'm finding myself outplayed by other battleships a lot. So someone please educate me! 

I can take out cruisers without much problem, but where am I supposed to be aiming to get the big citadel smacks on enemy battleships? Is it under the front turrets? Under the super structure? I can sometimes get 1 or 2 cits, but I traded shots with an opposing yamato yesterday at close range, I got 13K damage, he got 75k. Now I realize I was angled badly after coming around and island, but he was also somewhat exposed. So where should I be aiming?

Depends on range. 

If you're long to mid, aim for the center citadel under the smoke stacks. Your dispersion is going to spread your shells out anyway, so you have a chance of hitting the turret citadels too.

If you're closer range, it's usually best to aim for the citadels under a double turret cluster. This means front for Yamato of course, but either end of Montana, though for GK you're better off just pumping the shells into her belt for pen damage unless she's turning away from you and exposing her lower hull. If she is, then pen that. 

Why is this? Because your primary bonus for being closer is less horizontal dispersion. Turret citadels are narrow but tall, where as the center citadel is long and doesn't rise above the water much (if at all in some ships). You're more likely to get multiple citadels at closer ranges by shooting under a BB's largest turret arrangement than you are shooting anywhere else. 

Also, vs an enemy Yamato that's angling or bow-on, shoot the bow cheeks. You can bow-pen a Yamato if you aim there and get a lucky blessing from RNGzus. 

Sign in to follow this