Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Estimated_Prophet

Tier 8 games, how my opinion changed

19 comments in this topic

[RLGN]
Members
19,125 posts
35,147 battles

The long and the short of things is that I purchased Atago and Atlanta, and fxp'd up to Fletcher and Des Moines much, MUCH too soon to have done so.

A year ago I barely knew how to play the game. I certainly had a few fluke games and did well in all those ships; but with the exception of Atlanta; (of all things,) my experiences in them left me bitter and disappointed.

Gasp, shock...

Atlanta was an odd duck... One of the highest skill ceiling ships in the game; I either played it obssesively and learned how to at least survive by default; or I just didn't know when to give up. One day I had an exceptionally good game on Ocean; of all maps; and Atlanta just seemed to click with me. Yes; I'm still not awesome in it; but I am good enough to no longer be one of the idiots some destroyer and cruiser drivers seem to think all Atlanta drivers are...

Atlanta is now one of the ships I have the most games in.

Of the other three; all of them have sat unsused in port for at least six months, and maybe even more...

...except Atago.

Honorable Service and its Tier 8 minimum ship requirement changed that dynamic. Out of raw neccessity, I started playing my recently aquired and older Tier 8 ships again.

Atago, her cousin Takao, and Prinz Eugen all came out of port. Considering how much I avoided and maligned high-tier game play for most of 2016; they have been played a lot since last December.

Benson joined the queue, but despite its repution has been a huge disappointment. Missouri is there as well as the only Tier 9 I currently play, and then one more.

Akizuki; the Tier 8 IJN destroyer; has been the FIRST high tier ship I've actually enjoyed playing; the first destroyer of ANY line I haven't been relectant to fight another destroyer with.

Maybe that's just a 'volume of fire' confidence, but it doesn't make how I feel any less true.

Perhaps this is just preaching to the choir as the saying goes; but the biggest lesson I think I've learned is that it's a really, REALLY bad idea to rush up the tech tree. Secondary lessons would be; PLAY EVERYTHING; even if you hate the ship type, (choughCVSchough) it teaches you things that help when you play against such ships later; such as where a ship might hide; where it might come through close terrain; and how fast they can move between two points, (I've had torpedo kills because of all those.)

One somewhat minor lesson learned is that credit and xp earnings come much easier with high tiered ships. I used to despair of getting the 32,000 xp a day for all three award containers; but when I've played my Tier 8 ships, (and Missouri,) that has been quite easy to do.

Counting all game modes I have over 7,000 total games. I'm still not that great of a player; my only outstanding traights are Survival and doing well in supposedly 'bad' ships; (old T6 Mutsuki, Marblehead, Colorado.) but I do think I that broad experience is serving me well now.

Before; I wouldn't have wanted to play Atago and other similarly tiered even if you payed me to do so. Now; its just another game; even if it's a lot tougher than what I've been used too.

Edited by Estimated_Prophet
  • Cool 1

Alpha Tester
2,162 posts
6,770 battles

It sounds like Russian cruisers might be the thing for you, fragile but high fire rate and fire chance. The meta of high tiers is much more punishing with ships like Iowa, Hindenburg, Yamato, and Fletcher which can ruin your day at the drop of a hat. It will make you a better player to fight there.

Edited by X15

[BLNCE]
Members
13,459 posts
44,054 battles

Atago and Kutuzov really restored my faith in cruisers at the high tiers.

[RLGN]
Members
19,125 posts
35,147 battles

It sounds like Russian cruisers might be the thing for you, fragile but high fire rate and fire chance. The meta of high tiers is much more punishing with ships like Iowa, Hindenburg, Yamato, and Fletcher which can ruin your day at the drop of a hat. It will make you a better player to fight there.

Some serious 'la, la,la...' going on with that... Because of everything I've suffered at the hands of Russian ships; I always considered them to be 'That OP (BLEEP!)-ing junk.'

Finally broke down and put my Gnevny captain through the Russian cruiser line up to Kirov as a way of getting him additional xp; and did well enough it pushed him over the top for 15 skill points....

Now he mostly drives the Kutuzov I received in a Christmas package...

...and I'm doing pretty well with it.

Edited by Estimated_Prophet

[WOLF1]
Members
9,915 posts
18,230 battles

Tier 8.....

#1.... Get Chappy...

#2 15 point capt....

#3...... Breath fire from stealth... Radar from stealth....

#4 profit from the Salt of your enemies.....

Edited by pmgaudio

[HINON]
Members
7,656 posts
9,539 battles

Tier 8.....

#1.... Get Chappy...

#2 15 point capt....

#3...... Breath fire from stealth... Radar from stealth....

#4 profit from the Salt of your enemies.....

You sure love your RU cruisers lol :D

Members
34,409 posts
10,768 battles

I've definitely been using my Takao for Honorable Service. I like NO more, but I play better in Takao.

Heh, I forgot about that, I guess I CAN do the missions after all lol.

[SALVO]
Members
16,373 posts
10,167 battles

Perhaps this is just preaching to the choir as the saying goes; but the biggest lesson I think I've learned is that it's a really, REALLY bad idea to rush up the tech tree. Secondary lessons would be; PLAY EVERYTHING; even if you hate the ship type, (choughCVSchough) it teaches you things that help when you play against such ships later; such as where a ship might hide; where it might come through close terrain; and how fast they can move between two points, (I've had torpedo kills because of all those.)

Well, I'm a firm believer in not rushing up the ladder and playing everything. I'm grinding 8 lines in paralel, currently at T6 (and 1k games), been playing every class but CVs (tried a bit in Co-Op but choose to wait for the rework that is "coming soon"), I feel good with the results and have been enjoying the trip so far. See you in T8 in about 1k more matches ;)

Beta Testers
2,589 posts
8,799 battles

I like high tiers but I try to avoid T8 like the plague now. If you're hopping in a T8 ship you might as well go ahead hop into a T9/10 ship instead since 90% of your matches you're gonna be a bottom feeder after WG ruined overall MM with the T1-4 protected sandbox(that makes it easier to club...). 

Wish they'd fix it. I like Tirpitz and Amagi... Never play them anymore though. I'll play Scharnhorst or Kürfurst instead so I don't get dumped on every game. Oh, and trying to grind a T8 CV? Lel. 

Members
3,959 posts
7,738 battles

I like high tiers but I try to avoid T8 like the plague now. If you're hopping in a T8 ship you might as well go ahead hop into a T9/10 ship instead since 90% of your matches you're gonna be a bottom feeder after WG ruined overall MM with the T1-4 protected sandbox(that makes it easier to club...). 

It's...uhm...the exact opposite actually. The change to T4 MM made T7 and T8 more likely to be the top tier than normal. Basically, the root cause is that we now have more T6s available to be put into T8 matches.

[SALVO]
Members
16,373 posts
10,167 battles

Wish they'd fix it. I like Tirpitz and Amagi... Never play them anymore though. I'll play Scharnhorst or Kürfurst instead so I don't get dumped on every game. Oh, and trying to grind a T8 CV? Lel. 

If that is so, wth I'm almost always bottom tier in my T6s?

[ARGSY]
Members
10,326 posts
16,228 battles

with popularity of higher tier due to campaign and such,   I am seeing more t10 matchi in t8s now.  I can still perform ok,but it is much tougher.

[CNO]
Members
7,450 posts
23,087 battles

Perhaps this is just preaching to the choir as the saying goes; but the biggest lesson I think I've learned is that it's a really, REALLY bad idea to rush up the tech tree.

I'll second this, with the additional comment to not "buy" up the tech tree.  The general rule should be to NOT buy (or, more precisely, play) anything beyond one ahead of where you currently are in a line.  If you're at T6 BBs in a tech tree, don't buy/play beyond T7.  I bought Tirp and Lo Yang way too early.  My poor performance not only was bad for me, but for my team.  I learned from those two buys to wait...spend the time....learn the tiers and class.

[ONE38]
Members
3,782 posts
14,818 battles

That could soon become a bit more difficult to do.

Fire Prevention, 4 Points: Reduces the risk of fire and maximum damage caused by fire by decreasing the number of potential fire sources
-10% to the risk of fire. The maximum number of fire sources on a ship is reduced to three

Throw on an India Yankee flag on top of that...

When you have 19 pt skipper, throw High Alert and BoS on top of those...

With maximized concealment...

Impending 2017 nerf of invisifire from DDs and cruisers... 

Members
3,014 posts

I'll second this, with the additional comment to not "buy" up the tech tree.  The general rule should be to NOT buy (or, more precisely, play) anything beyond one ahead of where you currently are in a line.  If you're at T6 BBs in a tech tree, don't buy/play beyond T7.  I bought Tirp and Lo Yang way too early.  My poor performance not only was bad for me, but for my team.  I learned from those two buys to wait...spend the time....learn the tiers and class.

I'll agree but would add just one oddity.

Those like me who bought the Atlanta can learn alot in a hurry about what not to do.

From that point, one can make adjustments here or there for any given boat.

To purchase the Atlanta and stick with her no matter the consequences, as long as you take notes and are good at evaluating your performances across the board and across your fleet....

[RLGN]
Members
19,125 posts
35,147 battles

To purchase the Atlanta and stick with her no matter the consequences, as long as you take notes and are good at evaluating your performances across the board and across your fleet....

Hmmm... Sounds like what I did...
  • Cool 1

Beta Testers
2,589 posts
8,799 battles

It's...uhm...the exact opposite actually. The change to T4 MM made T7 and T8 more likely to be the top tier than normal. Basically, the root cause is that we now have more T6s available to be put into T8 matches.

It made T7 more likely to be top tier, since T6 can't pull 4s up anymore. Eliminating an entire tier makes the T6 population an issue, it can't go down so it must go up. Those 5s are gonna get yanked up with 6s to fill games, and the 7s are gonna get yanked down. So now that we have 7s pulled down, they can't fill T8, so 8 gets pulled up to fill 9/10 games. 

T5, 6, and 8 are all in a horrid place right now. 

Beta Testers
2,589 posts
8,799 battles

If that is so, wth I'm almost always bottom tier in my T6s?

Because T6 can't pull two tiers up to fill their matches anymore. So you get pulled up instead. 
  • Cool 1

Sign in to follow this