You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Aeries1

6.0 Version 2 Inertia Fuse for HE

35 comments in this topic

Members
636 posts
7,729 battles

With 6.0 version 2 if the captain skill calculator is correct there is another change.

http://shipcomrade.com/captcalc​

One thing they mentioned is the buff to Inertia Fuse for HE.  Before it had +25% penetration and -6% fire, now it's + 30% pen and - 3% fire.  For HE to pen you take the caliber/6 (ex: RU 152mm/6 = 31.67).  Before this skill was useless to all but 2 ships, 155 Mogami and Akizuki.  The 155mm enabled the 32mm threshold to be broken which is important at that tier due to bow and stern sections of high tier BBs being 32mm, unlike with the RU 152mm example above.  For Ak it enabled its HE to pen same and higher tier DDs, but reducing it's fire chance to zero, so not as useful. 

This skill is realistically applicable to not just Mogami 155, but now RU CL's, and with both fire flags and DE you can completely negate the -3% fire chance.  With the buff to Fire Prevention that I believe a lot of BB drivers will take, at least now with IFHE you can not only pen and damage end sections of BBs, but are able to start fires on them more easily since broken shells fire percentage is half.

What's your thoughts? 

Edited by Aeries1

Beta Testers
803 posts
4,912 battles

With 6.0 version 2 if the captain skill calculator is correct there is another change.

http://shipcomrade.com/captcalc​

One thing they failed to mention is the buff to Inertia Fuse for HE.  Before it had +25% penetration and -6% fire, now it's + 30% pen and - 3% fire.  For HE to pen you take the caliber/6 (ex: RU 152mm/6 = 31.67).  Before this skill was useless to all but 2 ships, 155 Mogami and Akizuki.  The 155mm enabled the 32mm threshold to be broken which is important at that tier due to bow and stern sections of high tier BBs being 32mm, unlike with the RU 152mm example above.  For Ak it enabled its HE to pen same and higher tier DDs, but reducing it's fire chance to zero, so not as useful. 

This skill is realistically applicable to not just Mogami 155, but now RU CL's, and with both fire flags and DE you can completely negate the -3% fire chance.  With the buff to Fire Prevention that I believe a lot of BB drivers will take, at least now with IFHE you can not only pen and damage end sections of BBs, but are able to start fires on them more easily since broken shells fire percentage is half.

What's your thoughts? 

actually Just taking DE will negate the fire chance nerf  from  IF for HE because it's buffed back to 3% fire chance so they cancel each other out.

Edit: Also it's kinda mandatory on Akizuki because they nerfed her HE pen down for 19 to 17 so now Her HE is useless on destroyers lol

Beta Testers
1,362 posts
4,392 battles

Seems only people this matters to is bbs. And more so for bow on bbs.

What ships will take most use of this new type of shell?

[HYD]
Members
7,105 posts
5,289 battles

actually Just taking DE will negate the fire chance nerf  from  IF for HE because it's buffed back to 3% fire chance so they cancel each other out.

Edit: Also it's kinda mandatory on Akizuki because they nerfed her HE pen down for 19 to 17 so now Her HE is useless on destroyers lol

I haven't heard about DE being buffed back up. Source? 

Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
8,843 posts
7,637 battles

imo, many. Zao's could take it, and still have a super high fire chance and now be able to pen through bows, not to mention higher ROF 203 ships like DM or Hindy

Members
636 posts
7,729 battles

​Light cruisers that see high tier BBs that have 32mm bow and stern armor.  So most useful for Buddy, Schors, Chappy, and Mogami 155, technically you can add Nurnburg and Cleveland, but is only useful in games with T8 BBs, so not worth taking on those 2 ships on that basis alone.

Source?  I see no mention of the buff back to 3%.

[HYD]
Members
7,105 posts
5,289 battles

imo, many. Zao's could take it, and still have a super high fire chance and now be able to pen through bows, not to mention higher ROF 203 ships like DM or Hindy

It already pens the bow of all ships. Unless a ship has a deck armour thickness between 34mm and 44mm, it's not gonna help. 

Edit: Typo

Edited by Aduial

Members
636 posts
7,729 battles

​203 can already pen high tier bow and stern armor (203/6 = 33.8mm) unless you are trying to pen the inner deck sections of Freddy, Kurrywurst, and Yammy which are 50mm in which case it sill isn't going to pen 33.8mm + 30% = 43.98 mm ie: useless.  All this would do is nerf yourself with lower fire percentage with no ability to pen any meaningful section of the ships.  Don't take this for 203 CAs.

Beta Testers
1,362 posts
4,392 battles

Seems good if this will help cruisers vs bbs.

Will these new shells cause more over pens on dds?

Is there something a bb can gain from using these shells over normal ap or he scenarios?

Members
636 posts
7,729 battles

It already pens the bow of all ships. Unless a ship has a deck armour thickness between 37mm and 44mm, it's not gonna help. 

​Dang it Aduial, you always beat me by 2 seconds :P, but yeah............what he said................again :).

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
24,689 posts
19,834 battles

Also it's kinda mandatory on Akizuki because they nerfed her HE pen down for 19 to 17 so now Her HE is useless on destroyers lol

A 'nerf' that isn't a nerf in actual gameplay terms:

It really is a technical change. It's a nerf that doesn't really nerf anything.

Without IFHE, Akizuki's shells will penetrate 16 mm armor. Next step up is 19 mm armor, which it can't penetrate anyway with the current 19 mm Alpha Piercing value, not without IFHE. After this "nerf" it still doesn't change anything. With the old 19 mm figure, it will only get 25 mm with IFHE which means it can only penetrate up to 24 mm. However, there's no armor group between 19 and 25, so there's really no change.

In summary, this is what Akizuki's HE shell can penetrate:

• Before 0.6.0 : 16 mm armor
  • After 0.6.0 + IFHE + without nerf : 19 mm armor
  • After 0.6.0 + IFHE + with nerf : 19 mm armor

No change at all.

The only thing WG will be doing with this is bring its Alpha Piercing value to be more in line with the other 102 mm - 105 mm guns.

Members
636 posts
7,729 battles

Seems good if this will help cruisers vs bbs.

Will these new shells cause more over pens on dds?

Is there something a bb can gain from using these shells over normal ap or he scenarios?

​As far as I know you can't over pen a DD with HE, so no.  As far as BBs go no it is not going to be useful as their HE can already overmatch bow/stern sections of BBs pulling the bow tank tactic.  Not a BB skill, don't take. 

8,843 posts
7,637 battles

​203 can already pen high tier bow and stern armor (203/6 = 33.8mm) unless you are trying to pen the inner deck sections of Freddy, Kurrywurst, and Yammy which are 50mm in which case it sill isn't going to pen 33.8mm + 30% = 43.98 mm ie: useless.  All this would do is nerf yourself with lower fire percentage with no ability to pen any meaningful section of the ships.  Don't take this for 203 CAs.

fair point, guess I hadnt looked into the pen of HE too much anyway xD

[HYD]
Members
7,105 posts
5,289 battles

​As far as I know you can't over pen a DD with HE, so no.  As far as BBs go no it is not going to be useful as their HE can already overmatch bow/stern sections of BBs pulling the bow tank tactic.  Not a BB skill, don't take. 

Unless you're a Scharnhorst, I don't think you benefit from it.

Members
636 posts
7,729 battles

She already has a base HE pen of 283/6 = 47.17mm.  Other than the inner fore/stern decks which are 50mm on Freddy I can't think of any other scenario it would even be useful and even then that is only 1 T9 ship you may see in X percentage of your games and 2 small specific sections of the ships.  For 4 points not worth it in that small percentage scenario.  Would take FP instead like I will on all my BBs, such a huge middle finger to anybody slinging HE, like BBs need more tools, but don't want to open that can of worms.

Edited by Aeries1

Members
636 posts
7,729 battles

Hmm, just got to thinking about DDs with this skill other than Ak.  This skill on US 127, RU 130, and KM 128 would enable you to pen mid tier BBs with 25mm of bow/stern armor (T5 - 7) and at high tiers you could pen bow/stern sections and upper belts of all high tier CAs save for Moskva's upper belt.  Interesting........

[KSC]
Clan Supertest Coordinator
5,227 posts
8,347 battles

because it's buffed back to 3% fire chance 

Source?!?!?!?:ohmy:

[CRMSN]
6,009 posts
4,623 battles

This may be interesting to take on a Gearing for pure DPM. 

The sheer rate of fire she can project would be greatly enhanced by a 30% pen on HE.  This may also finally allow a Gearing to go head to head againts a Khab at close range and win. 

[CRMSN]
6,009 posts
4,623 battles

Would this increase the lethality of battleship secondaries?  Would it be worth it on a ship like Bismarck?

I do not think this would be worth taking over AFT / Manual secondaries / Fire prevention IMO. 

[PLPT]
Members
4,435 posts
6,599 battles

Scharnhorst already has German HE, which pens up to 1/4 shell thickness. I don't think it it has much benefit on that unless you really want to HE citadel people.

[KSC]
Clan Supertest Coordinator
5,227 posts
8,347 battles

This may also finally allow a Gearing to go head to head againts a Khab at close range and win. 

I've never played the Khaba or Gearing, but I always thought the Gearing would win the close quarters battles as it has a higher DPM, unless there is something I missed.  Is the Khaba's hull armor immune to the Gearing's HE?

Edited by yashma

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
24,689 posts
19,834 battles

Is the Khaba's hull armor immune to the Gearing's HE?

The green parts are:

Rosknyy.jpg

Theoretical DPM is not a very meaningful stat anyways. Armor thickness reduces damage from HE, shells mis etc. All things that afect functional DPM.