You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
pewpewpew42

An Appeal for Bastion

16 comments in this topic

[TSF_1]
Members
3,301 posts
7,732 battles

Of late, the forum has been flooded with 'Remove Bastion!' and 'Bastion sucks!'

I think that this is a bit unfair. Bastion adds something to gameplay that can't really be replaced by anything else. However, it definitely needs tweaks to be fair and fun for all classes.

I think that Bastion forts should fire British-style AP rounds with a reload of between 10 and 15 seconds. Perhaps they should also have slightly better AA defense, and a secondary battery that discourages getting close.  Also, Surveillance stations need to be lower. Like, a LOT lower.

Now for my personal favorite idea, adding some kind of airfield. If there was a small air wing, perhaps a wing of 5 planes in 2 or 3 squads, there could be AI controlled planes. The airfield itself would have good AA defense, but would be unable to launch or land planes when on fire. An AI repair party might be pertinent to add, with a carrier's active time and cooldown.

For composition of air wing, I would have 1 fighter squad and 2 dive bomber squads (with IJN-size bombs). They would priority target ships in the cap, and would always manual-drop. These planes would be T9, with a reserve enough to replace each squad once. A USN servicing time would be needed to make this fair. As a side note, only 1 airfield per map would be balanced, perhaps in the middle.

These changes might make Bastion more appealing to people of all classes. Please leave feedback!

• Cool 2

[5D5]
Members
1,664 posts
9,866 battles

+1, I like Bastion.

Players have to learn how to use the forts to advantage. 

I was in a DD battle where I was getting focused fired by an oncoming force, and just as I captured the base, I popped smoke and pulled behind an island.

The fort took out two low HP cruisers while I concentrated on the main BB. He had to fire at the fort a few times to suppress it, allowing me time to line up the torp kill shot.

Forts can definitely be a team asset.

Edited by LuckyOtter
  • Cool 1

[INTEL]
[INTEL]
Members
7,680 posts
35,912 battles

I think that Bastion forts should fire British-style AP rounds with a reload of between 10 and 15 seconds. Perhaps they should also have slightly better AA defense, and a secondary battery that discourages getting close.  Also, Surveillance stations need to be lower. Like, a LOT lower.

I agree with this. Bastion makes for different play, so I do not dislike it. I do think it is way OP and has to be nerfed. Your idea above is good.

The AA section is not that relevant as I do not see them becoming targets for CVs and they already have good visibility on other targets. What they need is reduced accuracy and RoF from the current.

[RLGN]
Members
14,965 posts
26,497 battles

Not entirely sure why players talk about being focused by a fort as soon as the game starts; all of the games I've been in the forts were nuetral and didn't fire at anyone until captured.

In any case; I hardly ever saw the mode until I started playing my T8 ships more.

[HINON]
Members
7,656 posts
8,214 battles

Not entirely sure why players talk about being focused by a fort as soon as the game starts; all of the games I've been in the forts were nuetral and didn't fire at anyone until captured.

In any case; I hardly ever saw the mode until I started playing my T8 ships more.

On Hot Spot each teams starts with 2 captured zones and forts and there's only one neutral zone in the middle where B cap is. And execpt for the neutral zone in the middle, all the other zones are so small that you just about have to park your ship right next/right in front of the enemy fort just to cap it. On that map it usually comes down to whoever can cap the middle zone first wins. I love Bastion mode, but on Hot Spot it's completely broken. The forts can take out a DD with full health in 3-4 hits.

Edited by renegadestatuz

[KMS]
[KMS]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,665 posts
12,143 battles

It's the new Hotspot one.  The fort caps are so tiny you have to be in the fire of the forts.

Beta Testers
6,868 posts
4,189 battles

It's the new Hotspot one.  The fort caps are so tiny you have to be in the fire of the forts.

Not only that, but you start out 10km from the forts.

Nothing like starting a game by the time you're at full speed being half health from forts.  Fun and engaging mechanics.

Bastion is never Ok, it needs to be gone.  The sooner the better.  It's kind of funny watching a fort kill half the teams the first time, but it gets old very very fast.

[PLPTR]
[PLPTR]
Beta Testers
1,252 posts
6,292 battles

To be fair, most of those threds actually turned into discussions about the glaringly obvious issues with bastion and constructive ideas on how to fix them.

The issue with Bastion is that the game mode requires more team play to work properly than the other game modes, and does not reward playing as a team. That is really the issue. They are not motivating players to successfully execute win conditions on Bastion. 

It is fundamentally flawed in that way and as such will always be a problem for most players. It is not so much the "game mode" is awful, it is the fact that properly playing the game mode leads to lower rewards for those who do so. 

[NDA]
Supertester
3,926 posts
2,279 battles

Not only that, but you start out 10km from the forts.

Nothing like starting a game by the time you're at full speed being half health from forts.  Fun and engaging mechanics.

Bastion is never Ok, it needs to be gone.  The sooner the better.  It's kind of funny watching a fort kill half the teams the first time, but it gets old very very fast.

It needs to be tweaked so the scenario you describe is fixed.  Not removed. 

Beta Testers
1,896 posts
9,565 battles

Forget tweaking bastion, it

HAS TO GO.

into its own battle category like  Co- Op and Random, problem solved, there we can do airfield strikes and finally wipe out the lighthouse.

[RLGN]
Members
14,965 posts
26,497 battles

Forget tweaking bastion, it

HAS TO GO.

into its own battle category like  Co- Op and Random, problem solved, there we can do airfield strikes and finally wipe out the lighthouse.

I've read, (and experimented with against a nuetral Surveilance Station, (Lighthouse?)) that if you scroll back your zoom, you can aim higher in binocular mode and actually target those.

[BOTES]
Members
2,228 posts
8,498 battles

I don't like Bastion because the forts heal too quickly. Complain all you want about their dpm, but the real problem is that once incapacitated, DD have a very narrow window of opportunity to cap. Naturally, that window becomes increasingly narrow when they often have to fend off enemy DD, CA and CV that can delay capture if not deny it outright. Retaking a capture point in that amount of time requires a level of coordination that really isn't possible in random matches. Never mind what happens if you get potato BBs who refuse to shoot the fort and then the fort gets more kills than your entire team. Or a wallet warrior CV who makes it impossible to stay concealed and actually take the point. There are so many things that can go wrong (persistent planes, lack of support, poor DD matchup, radar CA, etc.) that it becomes nearly impossible to accomplish. I haven't played Bastion enough to say for sure, but I have never seen a game where the team that caps first loses.

tl;dr interesting game mode, but competitive play does not belong in random. Make it ranked only tournament only.

Edited by awildseaking

[NG-NL]
Members
6,270 posts
10,102 battles

Bastion is fine as is.

DDs have to be top of their game to take caps now, and CAs have to support their puny teammates. BBs need to be ready to suppress a fort rather than try for 1-shotting CAs. CVs need to tip the balance in their team's favor with spotting and strategic bombing.

It's high time the players "at high tiers" finally open their minds, enable replays, and learn how to play high tiers properly. Lone wolf is for co-op and single player. Here's competitive, and you're expected to be an asset that did what he knew he could.

• Cool 1

[-BMV-]
Members
1,228 posts
6,308 battles

Bastion is a great Idea that needs quite a lot of work. I personally gt excited when I see it, finally a reason for everyone push the caps aggressivly.