Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
awildseaking

Blind Shots Into Smoke

44 comments in this topic

[BOTES]
Members
2,219 posts
8,490 battles

My tinfoil hat is on for this one. Was there some kind of new mod released that lets people see enemies in smoke without radar/hydro/proximity spotting? It's only happened to me twice so far, but I've noticed on two separate occasions being shot multiple times with impeccable accuracy from long ranges while concealed in smoke. I've run into good players who can shoot based on muzzle flashes, but I wasn't firing in smoke. The volleys seemed too accurate and came from relatively bad and new players, so I'm curious if anyone else has noticed anything similar recently.

EDIT: Apparently nobody reads other posts before posting, so to clarify:

• It was not my smoke. There was no smoke trail to follow.
  • I was not sitting still. I had just sunk an enemy DD and was moving to hide myself in his smoke.
  • I was not firing. There were no muzzle flashes to shoot at.
  • I was not hit previously. There were no effects to locate me with.
  • I was not spotted unless there's some issue with the SA marker being de-synched.
  • There were no planes in my detection range.
  • Detection bloom wore off because I didn't fire in the past 20 sec and killed the enemy DD with torps.

I'm just asking for a sanity check. You can spare me the condescending talking points about how to play.

Edited by awildseaking

[-KIA-]
Members
5,193 posts
13,765 battles

Could just be extremely lucky, I have done completely blind shots in my Atlanta and just happened to nuke someone with 10+ hits and they call me an aimbotter and such.

[WOLFG]
Members
30,667 posts
9,285 battles

Depends on how predictable you are, and how much you maneuver. (including speed) Even if you aren't quite where I think you are, if I'm firing with a BB at 10km, if you're within 100m of where I think you are, you can still take a hit.

[-FBS-]
Members
2,646 posts
4,290 battles

Yeah, people seemed to have wised up due to the RN CL's. On the giving end its not hard to zero in on targets because you can see the shells from the enemy ship. 

Members
1,797 posts
5,635 battles

If I see you pop it, I will anticipate your stopping location and send you some love.  In the past week I have cit-penned cruisers at least twice doing this.  I actually have better luck with this than shooting at muzzle flashes...my elevation always seems off.  Someday, I want to be as good as the players that continue to predict my movements and shoot at me for as much as 10-20 seconds after I am no longer detected, not in smoke, and maneuvering. 

Supertester
4,153 posts
4,643 battles

Once you fire into smoke and get a single tiny hit, you'll see a small puff of black smoke which you can then focus. 

[BOTES]
Members
2,219 posts
8,490 battles

I should clarify that I did not actually pop the smoke myself. I killed a Nicholas in my Kamikaze and used his smoke to hide myself. I wasn't sitting still and there was no indication of where I was going other than a complete guess. I was killed by a full AP volley from a Konig at 15km for 7k dmg. It was very weird.

Beta Testers
1,362 posts
4,392 battles

Maybe enemy ship was not spotted behind an island and he had sonar?

What ship and how far is the max on sonar range?

[77ARC]
Beta Testers
254 posts

I got a set of clip on smoke filters for my computer glasses.  Makes it soo much easier.

Members
2,614 posts
3,604 battles

I should clarify that I did not actually pop the smoke myself. I killed a Nicholas in my Kamikaze and used his smoke to hide myself. I wasn't sitting still and there was no indication of where I was going other than a complete guess. I was killed by a full AP volley from a Konig at 15km for 7k dmg. It was very weird.

I am wondering if there may be some occasional de-sync issues with situational awareness.... I had a couple of games a few days back. The first game I had an obvious de-sync issue, I was hit by a torp that was some 30-40 meters in front of me on my screen.

The next game, I am getting hit well over a minute after SI had been extinguished. Even though I was actively running away and maneuvering... in Kiev. So they would have HAD to have seen me to get shots that accurate at 11+km, that late. Its not like it was 15 or 20 seconds, so they could have shot me while I was still lit, and the shots reached me after I dropped off. It was 70-90 seconds after I dropped off.

Beta Testers
1,362 posts
4,392 battles

Theres posts about how bad the spread of shots are.

12 to 16 shells missing a target locked on.

So shooting into a small smoke area with such a spread will give u a good chance of a random hit.

Which is something u didnt say. Not all smoke is best. Maybe smoke was small and not spread enough.

[HYD]
Members
7,105 posts
5,289 battles

If he shot you from 15km, there's a chance that he took aim BEFORE you econcealed. The shells just hit after you disappeared. 

Members
56 posts
7,561 battles

I think players are shooting into smoke more often than before, as someone said the RN cruisers may have helped push that habit. I don't mind it too much, if 5-6 people are shooting into my smoke instead of any of my spotted teammates, that advantage to us.

[BOTES]
Members
2,219 posts
8,490 battles

If he shot you from 15km, there's a chance that he took aim BEFORE you concealed. The shells just hit after you disappeared. 

I know, but the whole thing was just too odd. Odd enough that I have to complain about it. If it wasn't some kind of mod, it's the worst rng I've ever seen.

[HYD]
Members
7,105 posts
5,289 battles

I know, but the whole thing was just too odd. Odd enough that I have to complain about it. If it wasn't some kind of mod, it's the worst rng I've ever seen.

Worst RNG is also possible. RNGesus works in mysterious ways. 

Members
1,450 posts
8,516 battles

In two situations I can guarantee hit on enemy ships in smoke. One is I saw him before he smoked up, or he shoots from smoke continuously. Though I can't guarantee damage.

But if its a British cruiser....I most of the time can significantly damage it

Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,026 posts
27,471 battles

RN smoke is only one or two puffs so you get an idea where the other player is. Same goes for DD smoke only in a small area. If you have a light cruiser or DD that can spam shells you can saturate the area till you hit something. Smoke is also a torpedo bait.

[-REK-]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
692 posts

My tinfoil hat is on for this one. Was there some kind of new mod released that lets people see enemies in smoke without radar/hydro/proximity spotting? It's only happened to me twice so far, but I've noticed on two separate occasions being shot multiple times with impeccable accuracy from long ranges while concealed in smoke. I've run into good players who can shoot based on muzzle flashes, but I wasn't firing in smoke. The volleys seemed too accurate and came from relatively bad and new players, so I'm curious if anyone else has noticed anything similar recently.

RNG baby RNG..... don't you love ships that run aground and are standing still and RNG will not let you hit them....crazy.

[RLGN]
Members
14,900 posts
26,419 battles

I've had torp and shell hits into smoke. Especially if I can focus on a target before the smoke forms, I can send one last accurate package towards the target before they disappear, as Aduial said above.

What irritates me most about the situation is my guns losing focus on a fixed spot, and drifting all over the place; it's like the gunners suddenly picked up the sauce again and started directing the turrets willy-nilly all over the place. An example of that is being focused on a ship that goes behind an island, watching shells fly over the island and hit; but then ship icon disappears, and the gunners suddenly think you want to do shore bombardment...

[SYN]
Members
5,877 posts
13,296 battles

Throw enough doo-doo at the wall...

Seriously, the game's smoke meta is now so ubiquitous that everyone gets plenty of practice blind-firing into smoke.

[BBICT]
Members
3,883 posts
4,243 battles

Yeah, people are getting A LOT better at shooting into smoke. Ask my Belfast. You want to see a ton of fire coming into your smoke? Have an Atlanta be seen sailing into your already small cloud...It gets REAL crowded in there with "16 shells splashing all around the two of you. :hiding:

[INTEL]
Members
3,265 posts
6,603 battles

OP, extraordinary claims and all that.... you should provide a replay for people to watch to judge for themselves.

Or better yet, watch it yourself before posting about aimbots and smoke hackz. I often think something about a game that after watching the replay realize I was tunneled at the time and not fully paying attention to the battlefield.

[SYN]
Members
15,874 posts
12,803 battles

it's half luck and half skill in tracking where the shells are coming from.

[PLPTR]
[PLPTR]
Beta Testers
1,252 posts
6,292 battles

I have reset caps, completely blind from 12km+ away, over mountains with no idea where the enemy even was. When I see someone smoking up, I watch to see if they slow down then spam at them if I don't have anything more important to shoot at. 

I would be willing to bet, they were going under 10 knotts or heading directly at you, which makes blind firing much easier, once you see a hit, and if they don't move you can just keep shooting and expect to land a few shells. 

Sign in to follow this