Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
GoldPile

"The Des Moines is mediocre when not divisioned"

27 comments in this topic

[-K-]
Alpha Tester
1,876 posts
7,898 battles

Although maybe not exactly those words, this is a reoccurring statement I see around the forums when asked about this ship. I'm here to say I wholeheartedly disagree with that sentiment. In fact she is by far the most fun I've ever had soloing in a ship & a T10 at that, when I can have fun in even the most potato losses imaginable surely she's doing something right.

Of course I think in the end it all comes down to usage, she requires a degree of competence to perform well, excellence in gunnery, a certain ship setup, and map terrain abuse. I've also had a pub match in Ocean once with her recently (I never thought I'd see it again) and even without terrain she can still put on the hurt.

After all the general mediocrity she seems to receive I find myself extremely happy with her purchase. She's not a Zao don't play her like one, play her like a Des Moines.

Some self boasting:

wyT1DTC.jpgcAwqfYr.jpgxyOtGKN.jpg

In that match the team was fairly competent unlike most T10 matches I seem to get in this thing.

Edited by GoldPile

Beta Testers
447 posts
3,945 battles

you get one good game in an bad to average ship doesnt make it good .......

i have huge games in the Hipper but its still a trash ship

• Cool 2

Members
601 posts
11,720 battles

DM is not a bad or average ship it is an amazing ship. Jesus Christ sorry it isn't the Zao and makes you actually think. 
  • Cool 2

[MPIRE]
[MPIRE]
Beta Testers
1,821 posts
10,838 battles

I love my Des Moines but sorta miss my Baltimore.

DM is a ship of highs and lows. Her rather long citadel also makes her vulnerable to BB caliber shells she doesn't see coming. She's also able to 1v1 many BBs she sees if she gets the drop on one.

She's also a favorite target for the enemy team.

So does that make her a bad ship, or just inconsistent? Or is inconsistent the same as bad? I feel your answer to the second question decides how you feel about DM.

[-K-]
Alpha Tester
1,876 posts
7,898 battles

One of these comments, of course I should've seen it coming. Then feel free to peruse my stats, my ship history with the Des Moines. She almost doubles the amount of avg damage of the Baltimore & tops my Yamato. You expect me to take a screenshot of every single battle?

[SOUP]
Modder
8,813 posts

mediocre

IS THERE A PLAYER HERE WHO IS NOT ON THE ROAD TO VALHALLA?!!!

Beta Testers
6,868 posts
4,189 battles

DM is not a bad or average ship it is an amazing ship. Jesus Christ sorry it isn't the Zao and makes you actually think. 

A ship can only be considered in comparison to it's competition.

Is the DM amazing compared to Zao?  Nope.  Moskva?  Nope.  Hindy?  At least it's about equal.

If you want to call the DM amazing you have to compare it to the Baltimore.  Of course, eating a brick of Exlax and wearing a space suit sounds amazing compared to playing the Baltimore.

• Cool 1

Members
601 posts
11,720 battles

Is the DM amazing compared to Zao?  Nope.  Moskva?  Nope.  Hindy?  At least it's about equal.

If you want to call the DM amazing you have to compare it to the Baltimore.  Of course, eating a brick of Exlax and wearing a space suit sounds amazing compared to playing the Baltimore.

DM is amazing when compared to the others has better DPM than all three of the others, has the best AP of the three best turret traverse Can actually maneuver unlike the Moskva. And when the DM gets up close it will manhandle the other 4 tier 10 cruisers. 
  • Cool 1

[SCCC]
Members
381 posts
10,069 battles

Looks up stats to see how he performs in the DM

Sets Tier to 10s only

Sees no DM

chuckles

What other jokes do we have today for us? You're going to call a ship a PoS when you only have the New Orleans, yet you play sub-par in each and every one of them, in almost every category possible? 

Remind me again why your opinion is valid in the first place? I mean damn, they must've let anyone who had money into CBT.... oh wait...

Edited by Swagger897
  • Cool 1

Beta Testers
6,868 posts
4,189 battles

Looks up stats to see how he performs in the DM

Sets Tier to 10s only

Sees no DM

chuckles

What other jokes do we have today for us? You're going to call a ship a PoS when you only have the New Orleans, yet you play sub-par in each and every one of them, in almost every category possible? 

Remind me again why your opinion is valid in the first place? I mean damn, they must've let anyone who had money into CBT.... oh wait...

You're right, there's absolutely no way someone could have played all the T10 ships unless it's on the live server.  :P

And 1250 is sub par?  Ok kid, enjoy another couple bleach cocktails and tell yourself that it's everyone else that's wrong. 

Interesting outside of premiums and the DM you have a whopping 51 games in USN CA.  I would ask why, but with a 500 WTR in the Phoenix... yeah I might skip a few tiers too.  Curiously, you only have the DM and Hindy for T10 CA.

[YIKES]
Members
1,733 posts
13,711 battles

You're right, there's absolutely no way someone could have played all the T10 ships unless it's on the live server.  :P

And 1250 is sub par?  Ok kid, enjoy another couple bleach cocktails and tell yourself that it's everyone else that's wrong. 

Interesting outside of premiums and the DM you have a whopping 51 games in USN CA.  I would ask why, but with a 500 WTR in the Phoenix... yeah I might skip a few tiers too.  Curiously, you only have the DM and Hindy for T10 CA.

Ohh ohh do me next and see if you can still find an excuse for being incompetent? DM is arguably the best ship in the game :P

Maybe next time when someone in the know tells you whats up you will listen...

Edited by FratStar4Life

Beta Testers
6,868 posts
4,189 battles

Ohh ohh do me next and see if you can still find an excuse for being incompetent? DM is arguably the best ship in the game :P

Best ship in the game?  That's some next level koolaid.

I get that on the right map and in the right position it can perform, but it's not even in sniffing distance of being the best ship in the game.  Let alone in the best tier for tier conversation and you know it.

In those situations where a DM is good a Minotaur will almost always be better, the trade off armor for smoke is a strong one.

Beta Testers
4 posts
4,873 battles

What a [edited]... Dude, just watch how competitive battle works. Whenever your gonna fight actual good player and not your average piece of garbage random shitshow, they will pop their DM radar to spot you in your "superior smoke" and the BB of the team will have already set their gins on your smoke because thats how coms worj in an actual team battle with good players. You might as well go do some PVE battles with the advices your giving

• Cool 1

[---]
Banned
6,739 posts
9,048 battles

So Des Moines just spams HE?  Not sure its worth going up from Baltimore for that.

Des has solid HE and honestly quite amazing (if floaty) AP with an ungodly reload for an 8 inch armed cruiser. Set her up right and you can spew out 6 salvos for every salvo a montana puts out. 

[SCCC]
Members
381 posts
10,069 battles

Ohhhhh.... That's right.... How could I ever forget about there being a PTS, where you can reliably summarize how a ship plays versus 1-3 other players and 11-9 bots. Damn, why didn't I think of that... 

I see you chose your highest WTR ship as well out of that entire class... Shame that it's just only  600 points below when I played it, as well every other stat. But I'm not here to say how long my clock is here so I'll just leave it at that.

Awww... now you're trying so hard and yet don't see the entire picture.. See, the reason why you have so many games in all these ships, is because (and I don't mean to break your heart), but you're not good in them. You're bad, very bad. That's why, it's simple when you see the light. 

But you know what buttercup, just for you, I'll buy back my Phoenix, and cuck the schitt out of your stats. 

Edited by Swagger897
  • Cool 1

Members
806 posts
7,027 battles

DM's not "bad" when solo queuing, it's just harder to perform well when you've got rainbow cannons and really bad armor compared to the other T10 CAs. The strengths of the ship are more easily apparent with good team coordination (such as being in a division with a Gearing or CV to the make the most of your utility). The other T10 CAs such as the Zao and Hindenburg have a much easier time acting autonomously compared to the DM.

Members
601 posts
11,720 battles

So Des Moines just spams HE?  Not sure its worth going up from Baltimore for that.

If a DM player only spams HE in it then they are not playing it correctly. The DM AP is the best cruiser AP in the game and if anything gives you broadside you will delete it with your AP. 

[BTLST]
Beta Testers
896 posts
10,584 battles

i just got mine, and I pretty much only solo - haven't rolled her out yet as I'm training up the captain first.... 

[-K-]
Alpha Tester
1,876 posts
7,898 battles

Depends on the situation, the most effective way to deal damage is up to the player. One thing the DM has is good AP & decent HE unlike specialized lines of other nations that gimps 1 shell over the other or completely removing a shell type (excluding stronk Russian navy).

If you're looking at my Witherer game notice I also have AP damage. Sure it's not a lot of the damage by a long shot but I did have a nice cruiser go somewhat broadside to me. Now would they be effective against Battleships? In my case no since they were decently far out & angled.

Good thing DM has HE. I know people love going AA builds on her but that gimps her ship burning capabilities. I run DE & mount the Arsonist flags since I have so many. This brings the fire chance to a nice toasty 18% per shell & perfectly acceptable considering her DPS capabilities.

Unlike say the Zao the DM excels at island hugging and annoying the crap out of BBs by walking fires through the entire hull under the saturation of gunfire. She can do this while maintaining effective DPS by going bow on unlike say Hidenburg, Zao, & definently not Minotuar. More often than not I see people playing her ineffectively or trying to be a Zao, contributing to her lackluster performance. 

Edited by GoldPile

Sign in to follow this