You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Sink_Stuff

You Will Have Bad Teams For Six Months and Why - Video

95 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
1,971 posts
11,549 battles

This video addresses why we will all have bad teams for six months no matter the tier, the time of day, weekends, holidays, it will not matter anymore and this video tells why.

(update) This second video explains with shipcomrad.com statistics for arp ships. The same trend will certainly be the case for the free 50% xp cammo tier six ships from the Santa's convoy missions as well.

Edited by Rounne
  • Cool 3

[O7]
Members
5,393 posts
12,200 battles

You will have bad teams for ever because you are expecting something from RANDOM battles where anybody can play. This is your problem.

• Cool 16

[GWG]
Members
7,229 posts
14,042 battles

I don't know....   Watching old videos - -- there were bad players all throughout the time WOWS has been around.

Difference is that there is an in-flux of new players.

During the spring and summer, Team and Ranked battles happened.  The flags went off sale and the premium shop dried up.

New members were scarce and the whole player base became better.

I think it's a good thing.  Question is, Are we going to repeat the pattern where rewarding missions and sales become scarce?

Members
989 posts

You will have bad teams for ever because you are expecting something from RANDOM battles where anybody can play. This is your problem.

Why not just type it out instead of making a goddamn video?

You know what I think is the case?

This link has a well thought out explanation. Got it from another WoWS player off of iChase's discord.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8an2vbbrfdbnq8j/SALT.gif?dl=0

You may flame him for his video but sadly he is right. 

Members
11,026 posts
30,531 battles

Your conclusions are also bullcrap.

- ARP After 100k base exp over a month to unlock Takao, you've basically earned enough base exp to grind to T8, for someone using boosts (premium time, etc).

- Spee is a T6, and by the time you've done the missions (which require a T5) you've basically already grinded out a T6.

- Ditto the convoy missions

- You've also massively overestimating the effect the Santa boxes have. Significantly fewer people than you think bought them, even fewer got sick T8 premiums.

Got bad news for you: The past few months haven't been horrible for teams.

There's just been a crap ton of confirmation bias going friggen everywhere, and idiots like you running around trying to reinforce that idea with your unbelievably irritating voice doesn't help.

• Cool 13

[DERE]
Members
212 posts
1,804 battles

- ARP After 100k base exp over a month to unlock Takao, you've basically earned enough base exp to grind to T8, for someone using boosts (premium time, etc).

- Spee is a T6, and by the time you've done the missions (which require a T5) you've basically already grinded out a T6.

- You've also massively overestimating the effect the Santa boxes have. Significantly fewer people than you think bought them, even fewer got sick T8 premiums.

There's just been a crap ton of confirmation bias going friggen everywhere, and idiots like you running around trying to reinforce that idea with your unbelievably irritating voice doesn't help.

​^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This is just a game and people who rant over it (the irony of my words given current action) really take the joy out of it.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Alpha Tester, Beta Testers
30,523 posts
5,705 battles

So much wrong, it's not even funny.  There is only 1 reason and 1 reason alone teams are getting so bad. It was BOUND TO HAPPEN.  Anyone who thought "oh this won't become like tanks, we'll keep a better playerbase and have better quality matches" were just burying your head in the sand and ignoring reality.

This was a matter of when, not if.

Edited by TalonV

Members
1,326 posts
95 battles

Yeah, good points. I'd like to mention though that Takao did have some effect on games, but only early on, when a bunch of players, who haven't yet played IJN CAs got their hands on a Takao and were playing without knowing how to and especially, how to use torpedoes on a cruiser. The number of times I got friendly torps from Takaos when Takao mission was finishing in the end of December was just mind blowing. It's become much better now. Seems like most people finally figured out that even as a cruiser you still don't torp in front of allies.

[SWOB]
[SWOB]
Alpha Tester
1,147 posts
6,651 battles

If you think it's bad now you clearly haven't been playing for long!

So long as it never gets as bad as during the beta weekends and open beta I won't be complaining.  The difference between alpha/closed beta players and new players was comically awesome.

Everybody's up in arms for two basic reasons:

1. We're just coming out of a holiday and there are always a lot more young/inexperienced players during every holiday period, last summer wasn't much different.
  2. There has been some tinkering with how MM works which has been abrupt for players who play lower tiers.

But this is very short term.  For the most part it's just the normal randomness in any game that has an average win rate of ~50%.  Statistically as a group we can't be moving much from 50% win rates, it's basic math.  Every match half the team has to win and half the team has to lose.  Are the matches more or less full of bad/foolish players?  That's subjective, but I'd want to see some pretty hard data before I'm convinced it's changed that much.

As far as the premiums go, I don't buy it. Most of them are lower tier and frankly I haven't seen that many in matches since the break anyway.  Certainly not more than normal.  There are plenty of total muppets who've had the time to grind out a tier 10 ship or three by now.

I had a really bad run in December, but also had a couple of periods where I had some of my best games and a sustained 70% win rate for several days.  It happens, but you only remember it when you're paying attention.  I was also playing a lot more stock, or at least not fully upgraded, ships as I went up the new Japanese DD line and worked on unlocking a couple of new tier 9 ships and that's a far bigger factor in my sense of influence in a match than anything else.  Of course there are also all the Shiratsuyu matches to balance it out a bit!

Overall my win rate has been pretty much the same in the past 6 months or so, with a slow increase as I get more and more experienced as a player, statistically the last month isn't really any different if you look at the longer trend line.  I'm sure we all played more over the holiday break and when you're grinding away at campaigns, new ships, or whatever you tend to notice it a lot more than when you play a match or two in the evening after work.  You just don't sustain streaks of several losses when you're only playing in smaller blocks of time.

[DERE]
Members
212 posts
1,804 battles

If you think it's bad now you clearly haven't been playing for long!

So long as it never gets as bad as during the beta weekends and open beta I won't be complaining.  The difference between alpha/closed beta players and new players was comically awesome.

Everybody's up in arms for two basic reasons:

1. We're just coming out of a holiday and there are always a lot more young/inexperienced players during every holiday period, last summer wasn't much different.
  2. There has been some tinkering with how MM works which has been abrupt for players who play lower tiers.

But this is very short term.  For the most part it's just the normal randomness in any game that has an average win rate of ~50%.  Statistically as a group we can't be moving much from 50% win rates, it's basic math.  Every match half the team has to win and half the team has to lose.  Are the matches more or less full of bad/foolish players?  That's subjective, but I'd want to see some pretty hard data before I'm convinced it's changed that much.

As far as the premiums go, I don't buy it. Most of them are lower tier and frankly I haven't seen that many in matches since the break anyway.  Certainly not more than normal.  There are plenty of total muppets who've had the time to grind out a tier 10 ship or three by now.

I had a really bad run in December, but also had a couple of periods where I had some of my best games and a sustained 70% win rate for several days.  It happens, but you only remember it when you're paying attention.  I was also playing a lot more stock, or at least not fully upgraded, ships as I went up the new Japanese DD line and worked on unlocking a couple of new tier 9 ships and that's a far bigger factor in my sense of influence in a match than anything else.  Of course there are also all the Shiratsuyu matches to balance it out a bit!

Overall my win rate has been pretty much the same in the past 6 months or so, with a slow increase as I get more and more experienced as a player, statistically the last month isn't really any different if you look at the longer trend line.  I'm sure we all played more over the holiday break and when you're grinding away at campaigns, new ships, or whatever you tend to notice it a lot more than when you play a match or two in the evening after work.  You just don't sustain streaks of several losses when you're only playing in smaller blocks of time.

Really? My WR has only gone down.... tho my other stats went up. idk how that works.

[-KIA-]
Banned
9,382 posts
21,136 battles

Why not just type it out instead of making a goddamn video?

It feeds his delusion of being some famous Youtuber and a revered member of the community.  I do have to hand it to him for taking the time to put a decent image out for himself, even if I don't care for the material or agree.

Unlike the "professional with integrity," who blatantly plagiarized CCs and filled his video with nothing more than footage of him trolling the world and getting slapped on the [edited] for it.  The temptation to just take the easy way out with videos (as someone who considered doing this for Team Fortress 2 back when I was in competitive circles of that game) is really great, and it takes time, time that you can't take shortcuts on, to make quality content or even semi-quality content.  Hence why any WoWS content I make is silly to say the least; for all the time I spend on here, speaking in technical terms with text is far more natural to me than making videos even if some of what I say could be better explained with visuals.

Edited by TenguBlade

[O7]
Members
5,393 posts
12,200 battles

Really? My WR has only gone down.... tho my other stats went up. idk how that works.

WR can be best considered as your ability to influence the outcome of a match. Other stats such as damage or xp go up simply by advancing tiers. It is easy to outshine your early accomplishments in a tier 2 or 3 ship with a tier 5 or 6 etc, even if those new accomplishments in 5/6 are good in 5/6 standards.
Edited by Pulicat

[DERE]
Members
212 posts
1,804 battles

WR can be best considered as your ability to influence the outcome of a match. Other stats such as damage or xp go up simply by advancing tiers. It is easy to outshine your early accomplishments in a tier 2 or 3 ship with a tier 5 or 6 etc, even if those new accomplishments in 5/6 are good in 5/6 standards.

Well I mean my avg dmg for specific ships, etc. Perhaps I shouldve been more specific XD. Before I used to hit (apparantly my hit ratio is high?) things but have no idea how to ammo. Now I know how it works and yay more boom.

[WG-CC]
WoWS Community Contributors
12,284 posts
10,392 battles

The hate and paranoia this video speaks to is as appalling as it is inaccurate. At least I can downvote on Youtube...

• Cool 12

Beta Testers
1,971 posts
11,549 battles

The hate and paranoia this video speaks to is as appalling as it is inaccurate. At least I can downvote on Youtube...

Actually I am right and it is not hatred, it is simply the truth. If you bothered to look up who is actually playing these free ships the most you would understand that I am right. It was this way in WOT and it is now this way in WOWS as well.

[ARGSY]
Members
10,326 posts
16,093 battles

the quality of team and MM does go down during time of heavy activity.   Especially for those who play solo most of the time, they really see the up and downs.  Like it or not,  this is pvp based game and people to have some stake in performance and people will show rage.  :D

WG doesn't have it easy trying to grow the game.    may be getting them to higher tier may get them to spend money and stay longer.  The main issue is that  The "veteran players"  have lot of advantages over noobs.      from  higher trained captain to just better ability level,   new players does have hill to climb before they can compete.   In truth,  this game isn't easy one to master.  I finally feel like I am competent at some of the ships after 6k matches and average pub player will never get to where I am.   The big  issue  for newer player is lack of variety of activities beyond coop and random.     I would love to see convoy missions like the halloween one becoming permanent fixture .  things that will make it interesting to newplayers in less competitive venue until they get some competence.    

I do think giving away lot of higher tier  ships   contribute to the issue.   You do learn a lot by grinding and lower tier grinding is pretty short anyway.   I understand that  player may be more likely to keep playing if they have extra ships in port, but in  a long run, I do think it does disservice.    

[JKSDF]
Beta Testers
545 posts
2,691 battles

Or maybe it's just a free to play team based game with randoms. Everything from League of Legends and Dota 2, to CS:GO and Overwatch and Insurgency, to Red Orchestra 2 and Battlefield 1, to solo queues in Starcraft will always have a fair share of memorably bad teammates who will do baffling and foolhardy things that make you wonder if they ever graduated elementary school. It's just how team games are, and your confirmation bias fueled video literally proves nothing other than showing the world how cheated you feel by the matchmaker. I get the salt, and like TenguBlade I do applaud your willingness to take the time to make a video like this—though I do very much wish it were just a textual explanation with charts instead. But, I also can't agree at all, sorry.

I don't actually fully understand why some members of this community are so dead-set on thinking that the bad teams are singular to this game. It's almost as if many people whining about their teams have never played a team game before this. Just go play Rocket League or give Fractured Space a try, or really, anything that pits one group of players against another group of players. Chances are that 40-60% of the time you will end up with horrible team mates who, despite your best efforts, will sabotage your chances at victory, and it doesn't even matter if the game is free to play, pay to play, or subscription based. 

• Cool 1

[WG-CC]
WoWS Community Contributors
12,284 posts
10,392 battles

Actually I am right and it is not hatred, it is simply the truth. If you bothered to look up who is actually playing these free ships the most you would understand that I am right. It was this way in WOT and it is now this way in WOWS as well.

If it was truth, it would be a simple thing to provide data to support your claim.

If it was truth, it would show layers of complexity beyond a simple, direct causality.

If it was truth, gaming companies the world over would take steps and means to factor it into their game play decisions.

What your video does is simply pander to the hate-mongering elitism.  You don't see your team mates as people, just obstacles.  Your language choices point towards callous disregard to their enjoyment, their experience, their situations.  You look to form solidarity with those who "suffer" them as you do.  Instead of seeing a young child playing, you see a nuisance. Instead of a veteran with nerve damage, you see someone stupid and inept.  Instead of a seniour trying their hand at modern gaming, you see a selfish person who dares trespass on your staked claim.  You see people who don't conform to your ideals as negligent at best and a menace to be demonized at worst.  When you paint with a wide brush, you belittle these people and undermine yourself as being any form of person worth heeding.

Some of these players will never get better.  They're under no obligation to do so, either. Instead of trying to enjoy the game with these players -- to celebrate a shared hobby, you make a video deriding their presence as a seasonal misfortune, like one might a hard winter or a bad harvest.

Your video could have done something of quality -- such as talk about how to carry if you find yourself on a team with less skilled players than the opposition.  You could have made it an entire series, going into in-depth tactics on a ship-type / ship-tier level with a break down of each map.  You could have offered to debate the merits of aggressive versus passive play in those situations, or how best to support a flagging team mate or how to get their support.  That would have bettered the community.  No, instead you figured that because your "bad" players had unlocked some new ships, they must have been reducing the quality of your games.

Did it occur to you that you might be playing differently?  Did it occur to you that the meta may shift on a seasonal / monthly / weekly basis?  Did you look that far?  Have you looked at game play on other servers, mapped how the different meta on the RU / SEA / EU plays out in contrast to NA and see if (perhaps) there was a change based on how players are behaving that may be causing players who normally feel they do well to underperform?  Easier to blame the universal "bads" instead of build upon anything -- instead of constructing a hypothesis, testing it and verifying it.  Easier to try and preach 'truth' without a scrap of relevant fact to tie causality to your claim.

Such a waste.

• Cool 30

Beta Testers
5,082 posts
5,575 battles

OP may not be a ray of sunshine but he has a point and that point is thus: giving away high tier ships to the general population without the requirement of a regular tree grind reduces the overall competence at high tiers. He's right at that whether he presents statistics or not (which he actually attempted to do in a follow-up video, not that it's very scientific).

I understand that you've made it your mission to bring positivity to the forum and to tow the party line, and it's a role that perhaps needs to be fulfilled in the interest of balanced representation of opinion. However I think this cause cannot be furthered by attempting to stifle and shame the opinions of others. Feel free to disagree in a non-moralizing, non-condescending manner. Let's talk substance, not form.

• Cool 4

[JKSDF]
Beta Testers
545 posts
2,691 battles

But what ships besides Takao were actually free high tier ships? Almost all of the ships that have been given out are tiers 5 and 6. Santa boxes weren't even that common, either, and the chances of getting truly high tier ships out of them weren't spectacularly high, either. His points, while they do exist, are entirely asinine. I hate sounding like a yuppie since I often find myself siding with LWM in these kinds of things, but she really does have a point as well. Rounne's opinion would have been much more acceptable and point actually valid if his video wasn't just a towering pillar of salt with no statistics and an ounce of sensibility.