Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Josh_Alexander

Help!!!! New Orleans is killing me!

33 comments in this topic

Members
62 posts
2,420 battles

Hello guys! I am really UPSET!!!!! The reason i decided to post this is because i am really having a BAD time with my New Orleans! I tought the Pensacola was bad, but at least the Cola gave me easy citadels. Now i have the Orleans, which i thought was going to relieve all the bad experience from the Pensa, but it just ended up being worst. The HE is the only nice thing about the ship i like. But i mean, the turret traverse isn't great, the reload time is just as equal as the Pensa, the Camo is mediocre, the AP....not enough. The Maneuverability is okay, and the armor is mediocre as well. I've seen a lot of youtube videos to learn how to use this ship, but no results.Also, i want to ask if this is what i should expect from the rest of the American cruiser line, cause it is really depressing not to have torps nor smoke nor being able to get close without getting killed in the way. Can someone please!!!!! give me some good tips on how to use this ship, and earn good profit from it. I would really appreciate it. Thanks.

Edited by Josh_Alexander

[RADAR]
Beta Testers
742 posts
6,685 battles

Is it decked out, and what is your equipment loadout? Im about to unlock the New Orleans; debating if i wanna lay out the 8.9mil to buy it or not; since Im keeping the Pensacola anyway.

[O_O]
Members
6,765 posts
16,194 battles

"HE is the only nice thing about the ship i like...reload time is just as equal as the Pensa...Camo is mediocre...Maneuverability is okay...armor is mediocre as well."

What you are describing is not complaint material for the USN cruiser line...mediocre and okay are the norm.  I will disagree with you on the AP, which I think is the strong point in the US cruiser line T7+.

USN cruisers from Pensacola on are AA and AP platforms, IMO.  They are soft, squishy, and very, VERY easily detected.  Once you are detected you had better keep that rudder moving, and be unpredictable about it.  Just about everyone in those tiers knows you are soft...if they can hit you.  For the New Orleans, do everything you did in the Pensacola...just do it a little better.

I have elited the New Orleans, and am not so sure I care to pay for the Baltimore.  I actually enjoyed the Pensacola and may buy her back when funds aren't so tight.  At T8, the NO was just okay.  I'm not sure the Baltimore is going to offer me much at T9.  If I am wrong, I encourage the experienced to correct me, if applicable. 

Edited by desmo_2

[F-U]
Members
205 posts
3,248 battles

The new orleans is significantly better than the pensacola. The much better spotting range means that you get shot at much less often and later. Obviously it's a bit harder to land citadels since people are generally better the higher up you go but the gun layout is also better on the new orleans compared to the pensacola.

You have a ton better detection range now so utilize that to get easy damage and kills. Also, the radar makes it a ton easier to spot targets in smoke, and you can coordinate with your team to help eliminate targets hiding in smoke.

Also, the upgrades are what makes this ship really much better. You can get the detection rage down pretty low with the detection upgrade or get an extremely fast rudder shift with double rudder. 

• Cool 1

[POP]
Members
1,294 posts
10,144 battles

I really preferred the New Orleans to the Pepsi. I was never that good in the Pepsi, but the spread seems to be much less on the NO and you get an extra tube. 

1) Keep moving... a lot. And, if you are at medium range to anything, you screwed up. You need to keep stuff as far away as possible. 

2) I almost never use HE on the New Orleans. My record is 11 citadels in 1 battle... not much compared to some. You have to aim really well... an upgraded reticule helps if you don't have one. 

I hated the Pepsi. But I love the Orleans. To me, this is like moving from the New York to the New Mexico. It's just a better and more fun ship... your mileage may vary. 

[-KIA-]
Members
5,193 posts
13,765 battles

Im keeping the Pensacola anyway.

Well that's a first.

Pensacola is a great ship and all when played right, but she's a pain to play.

Members
62 posts
2,420 battles

Okay, I retract myself from saying the AP is bad, it is okay but not great. I mean compared to the Pensacola, it is bad. The Pensa was a citadel machine, which the Orleans isn't. Using AP has been difficult in the Orleans if not wierd, since other cruisers are constantly in their smoke, or not showing broadside. So yeah, it isnt like you can rely on your AP as you used to do with the Pensa. Besides, I've tried to citadel Atagid and Prinz Eugenes when in full broadside, and isn't giving the results I would expect with a Pensa. So yeah am in a puzzle

Alpha Tester
884 posts
3,403 battles

Its the same AP round the Pensacola has.

Any perceived difference between the NO & Pensacola's AP rounds when fired at the same target under the same circumstances is just confirmation bias on your part.

Is you NO fully upgraded?

I found it made a huge difference to performance over stock.

Members
59 posts
1,641 battles

My experience with the New Orleans was fairly good. I actually completed the New Orleans in 36 fewer battles than the Pensacola and maintained a higher average EXP gain resulting from better damage averages. She struck me as a step up over the Pensacola when I got her and after she was upgraded she got a little bit better. The important thing to remember in my opinion about the New Orleans is that it is a support type heavy cruiser. She's a treaty cruiser and her armor is not truly Heavy Cruiser quality, even after modernization. The Baltimore is the first real nice CA in the line because she's a war cruiser instead of a treaty ship. Its best to keep a little distance. However you have to understand the AP arc is low and it does get great penetration. But that requires optimal ranges of around 12 km or less in my experience. A NO at close range can citadel a North Carolina. I've done it many times. Got an Iowa's as well and some other BBs Citadels scattered about. Her performance is great IMO but you really have to keep your situational awareness up. Minimize mistakes and avoid being the target priority so you can get those guns working at the best ranges possible. 

Members
62 posts
2,420 battles

Ik, the Pensacola is a terrible ship. But I mean, what advantage does the Orleans have compared to other cruisers? You don't have smoke to hide in and be comfortable. 0 torpedoes which already is bad, since you will never survive a BB at close range. Radar is great yes, but as mentioned before, team must help since alone you get wrecked, and anyone knows team not always support when required. The range of fire isn't great neither, other cruisers are better. Where is the American supremacy? Before this I was ought to believe Americans got nice ships.

[HYD]
Members
7,105 posts
5,289 battles

NO has a great concealment and great maneuverability. I would try to play the ship around that. The maneuverability is pretty much unrivaled by the other T8 cruisers. 

[AR15]
[AR15]
Members
62 posts
9,507 battles

You have good turning performance and can stay hidden to well within easy-citadel shot range. The USN 8" AP is the most powerful cruiser round (besides Graf Spee I suppose) so use that to your advantage. If you must engage a battleship, swerve the ship around while raining HE on it. Try to work with other cruisers so you're not the lone target.

Let's run through a hypothetical engagement. You're facing off against a Mogami and both ships start at 15km distance with the aim to kill. Both ships will try to light each other on fire, but you have an edge since you have more barrels up front and you have a significant agility advantage. The range drops to 10km and he starts to set up a torpedo attack. Many non-US CA drivers forget that guns, not torpedoes, are the primary weapon. You anticipate this move and reload AP.  As he presents his flank, you wait until the angle is such that you can fire into his citadel. At the same time, you can turn inside his torpedo arc because you have superior agility. This will also keep your armored bow toward him and set you up for a follow on AP salvo. This happens quite a bit at T7-10 for me and I can usually count on my AP ammo ending a fight or convincing the other ship that closure is a terrible idea. 

Understand that while waiting and only firing a few shots is boring, this is the way the game forces you to play. In an ideal world, IJN torps would be balanced by USN fire control in-game but WG evidently thinks this is unfair. 

Edited by mkcp40

Alpha Tester
1,730 posts
1,193 battles

You have good turning performance and can stay hidden to well within easy-citadel shot range. The USN 8" AP is the most powerful cruiser round (besides Graf Spee I suppose) so use that to your advantage. If you must engage a battleship, swerve the ship around while raining HE on it. Try to work with other cruisers so you're not the lone target.

Let's run through a hypothetical engagement. You're facing off against a Mogami and both ships start at 15km distance with the aim to kill. Both ships will try to light each other on fire, but you have an edge since you have more barrels up front and you have a significant agility advantage. The range drops to 10km and he starts to set up a torpedo attack. Many non-US CA drivers forget that guns, not torpedoes, are the primary weapon. You anticipate this move and reload AP.  As he presents his flank, you wait until the angle is such that you can fire into his citadel. At the same time, you can turn inside his torpedo arc because you have superior agility. This will also keep your armored bow toward him and set you up for a follow on AP salvo. This happens quite a bit at T7-10 for me and I can usually count on my AP ammo ending a fight or convincing the other ship that closure is a terrible idea. 

Understand that while waiting and only firing a few shots is boring, this is the way the game forces you to play. In an ideal world, IJN torps would be balanced by USN fire control in-game but WG evidently thinks this is unfair. 

Except what really happens is that you get detected. Every BB on the other team trains their guns on the easy two citadel kill and you are out of the match.

Alpha Tester
1,730 posts
1,193 battles

Ik, the Pensacola is a terrible ship. But I mean, what advantage does the Orleans have compared to other cruisers? You don't have smoke to hide in and be comfortable. 0 torpedoes which already is bad, since you will never survive a BB at close range. Radar is great yes, but as mentioned before, team must help since alone you get wrecked, and anyone knows team not always support when required. The range of fire isn't great neither, other cruisers are better. Where is the American supremacy? Before this I was ought to believe Americans got nice ships.

Developer is based in St. Petersburg, Russia. I'll let you draw you own conclusions.

[HYD]
Members
7,105 posts
5,289 battles

Let's not forget the stalinium rounds of Moskva.......It can citadel pretty much any BB starting at 10km. 

Members
62 posts
2,420 battles

Okay thanks for the Information. I have another question though. Should i spend money on the Hull B and the Turret improvement? I mean, are they really worth it?

Edited by Josh_Alexander

[AR15]
[AR15]
Members
62 posts
9,507 battles

Turret, not really. B Hull is an essential 

And I forgot about WG's make-believe T10 Soviet nonsense

US AP is still excellent

Edited by mkcp40
  • Cool 1

[-K_P-]
Members
545 posts
3,882 battles

Let's not forget the stalinium rounds of Moskva.......It can citadel pretty much any BB starting at 10km. 

Yeah but the ROF and flexibility of the Des Moines as well as the DPM means that in the right hands, she should never lose to a Moskva, especially since with her beautiful concealment range she can choose the engagement range more often than not

[-KIA-]
Banned
9,382 posts
21,065 battles

Ik, the Pensacola is a terrible ship.

This right here is your problems with the New Orleans in a nutshell.  You didn't learn how to play the line properly when you were given the Pensacola, and subsequent USN CAs will make you feel that failure magnitudes harder.

Anyone who takes time to master the Pensacola will tell you that she's not by any means a terrible ship - annoying, demanding, mediocre, all of those have been applied to her with valid reasoning, but she is by no means bad.  The atrocious detection is only as bad a problem as you let it be; they can spot you all you want but it makes no difference whether you're spotted or not if they can't hit you.  Start with that advice and try not to have too much of a headache teaching yourself how to play this line in a far more unforgiving environment than T7.

Edited by TenguBlade

Members
65 posts
5,719 battles

Here's the thing about the New Orleans compared to the Pensacola: It's an objectively better ship -- but tier 8 is incredibly unforgiving for cruisers. Pensacola has the benefit of going up against tier 5/6 fairly often, which can mitigate the ship's profound weaknesses to a large extent.

I personally had a far better time in the Pensacola. But mileage varies -- both ships are very challenging.  

Edited by AureliusIII

[SWL]
Beta Testers
63 posts
5,865 battles

I agree with just about everything that above posters have said.  The issue is that T7 and T8 cruisers (not just American ones) have a tough time in general.  American cruisers then get it a little more rough because they cannot rely on torps and/or smoke if they get in a tight spot, and their guns are primarily forward-mounted, so are less favorable firing while moving away.

The NO has some great AP rounds.  Even if you don't citadel, you are going to do a lot more damage than you would with HE ... but this depends on your target.  Simply put, the NO is not designed to shoot DDs nor BBs, although it can do both if it needs to.  It is designed to kill cruisers.  The ROF isn't really good enough to take on a DD, nor is it good enough to light a BB on fire constantly.  The AP *is* good enough to pen enemy BBs that show you a broadside, but in all other situations other CAs will probably outperform you against either of those ship types.  So, this means that as a NO you really want to prioritize shooting other cruisers.  Also, having 2 forward firing guns, you'll want to start learning to try to keep bow-on (or close to it) the majority of the time if you can. It reduces your profile, increases the chance of ricochets, etc.

Edited by dvang

Members
62 posts
2,420 battles

This right here is your problems with the New Orleans in a nutshell.  You didn't learn how to play the line properly when you were given the Pensacola, and subsequent USN CAs will make you feel that failure magnitudes harder.

Anyone who takes time to master the Pensacola will tell you that she's not by any means a terrible ship - annoying, demanding, mediocre, all of those have been applied to her with valid reasoning, but she is by no means bad.  The atrocious detection is only as bad a problem as you let it be; they can spot you all you want but it makes no difference whether you're spotted or not if they can't hit you.  Start with that advice and try not to have too much of a headache teaching yourself how to play this line in a far more unforgiving environment than T7.

Nope, I did manage to use the Pensacola properly. I think it is a great ship. But it is bad when compared to the Cleveland. And yes overall it is bad. The time required to master the Pensa is quite long. The issue i got with the Orleans was that i didn't know how to play it. I've begun to use the AP more as mkcp40 said, which has improved my battle results! I think my bad experience with the Orleans got more to do with the tier. I mean, at that level tier 8 BBs are unforgiving. But thanks.

Members
62 posts
2,420 battles

Thanks everyone for their posts, i am really applying many of your advises. I got another question however related with torps. Why American Cruisers don't have torps? I mean, did they really didn't have torpedos in real life? All american Cruisers T6 and above didn't have torpedos in real life or what?

[KUMA]
Members
30 posts
5,084 battles

Thanks everyone for their posts, i am really applying many of your advises. I got another question however related with torps. Why American Cruisers don't have torps? I mean, did they really didn't have torpedos in real life? All american Cruisers T6 and above didn't have torpedos in real life or what?

They just did not have torps because USN saw that torps are great hazard for detonation (IRL torp tubes detonate a lot) so they removed it from WWII cruisers. 

[-XXX-]
Members
20 posts
2,906 battles

My 2 cents:

Hull B - Required

All of the advice above about the challenges of running cruisers at T8 is true, I am seeing them in Hipper also.  Really hard to counter T9-10 ships.

But, I was able to CAP on a game last night in my N.O., by not firing and slipping between islands.  Was not spotted until I fired at curious red DD. 

You could never, ever, ever do that with a Pensacola.

Sign in to follow this