Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Chrifister

A big HELLO from MM lol

7 comments in this topic

Members
330 posts
4,046 battles

Wow I have never felt so useless in a BB.

Got a Scharnhorst from a santa crate and since she's my only German premium I'm using her to train a captain and farm credits at the same time. First thoughts is her guns are woefully inaccurate and grossly under-powered. The quicker reload is nice giving you 3 salvos to other BB's 2 but when you compare the damage from each salvo you still lose out. I've watched 8k salvos hit me and I think the most I've hit them for is 5k but usually around 2-4k. So 2 x 8k vs 3 x 3k is not even close to being equal. I hear she's a brawler though because of the torpedoes and that's fine but you usually lose half your HP getting into torpedo range, if you're not burned to death in the process. Is it even possible to citadel any other BB from under 4 km? I haven't done it yet but I've been trying. It may be the dispersion because she is incredibly inaccurate at such close ranges. I've learned that no matter how close a CA is, a citadel is not a guarantee like other BBs and it is more likely you are only going to have a couple of shells hit for over-pens. This has burned me a couple of times.

So anyway, got to play a few games today and 3 losses in a row, but not for the sake of trying. Finished first place the first 2 games with 4 kills in each game. Both times I dominated my side of the map but my team collapsed on the other side so I couldn't have done any more. Nothing feels greater than thinking you've done good and look at the map and see nothing but red ships with no green ships left on the other side.

So last match was the kicker for me. For some reason, MM decides that maybe I've been playing too well and let's up-tier him like crazy. First of all, it's difficult enough going up against the same-tier BBs that can lolpen me and I can only scratch their paint. But hey let's fill the game with BBs and put me low tier. On top of that, let's add a CV that's also a higher tier. So what exactly am I supposed to do in this matchup? I don't have the range to return fire at any of these BBs. There's only 3 CAs for me to shoot at but unfortunately they were on the other side of the map. MM also started me far in the east with another DD so who do you think gets targeted by the CV right off the bat? My battle lasted all of 3 minutes. Slammed by torpedo bombers, focus fired from multiple BBs way outside of my range, then lit on fire by the numerous DDs in smoke in the cap in front of me, then finished off by the CV and more torpedo bombers. I just barely had time to get behind an island right off the bat but it didn't matter.

The fact I didn't finish last place is curious because I did very little damage to the 1 DD that showed up long enough to fire at and the Tirpitz that came sailing through some islands. Everyone else was out of range.

badMM.jpg

Beta Testers
1,974 posts

I got a scharnhorst in a santa sack as well it she is my new favorite ship not named Tripitz..that ship is a beast 

[AAA]
Members
127 posts
28,708 battles

Finished first place the first 2 games with 4 kills in each game. Both times I dominated my side of the map but my team collapsed on the other side so I couldn't have done any more. Nothing feels greater than thinking you've done good and look at the map and see nothing but red ships with no green ships left on the other side.

So, let that be a lesson to anyone paying attention, don't divide your forces if you can help it. Mutual support, man.

Members
1,326 posts
95 battles

If you saw there is a higher tier CV in the match it would've been a good idea to stick with your team mate Myoko or Baltimore. As far as the range is concerned you outrange Ololado and have a couple hundred meters shorter range than Tirpitz. Mighty Mo has some 3 km range longer than you, but frankly she needds that, because you can actually citadel her relatively easy.

When I play my Scharn and I'm top tier I find a gang of cruisers or DDs and go gung-ho on them, but when I'm bottom tier it's a lot of sneaking around islands and picking opportune moment to strike. Plus you're wrong, other BBs can't easily lolpen you. You have up to 350mm of belt armor and you should present a slightly angled profile to the enemy guns so they shoot into your angled side, rather than your bow. Yes, they can all pen you through the bow, but you can bounce anything from your angled side.

Edited by geser98

[KOHAI]
Members
84 posts
3,403 battles

I got blapped by a Lexington in my Warspite today and it was bad. He hit me with all his bombers and his Torp planes. Those 1k lb bombs were hitting me for over 10k a pass. I knew MM had it in for me when I saw my CV was also a strike Lex.

Members
330 posts
4,046 battles

So, let that be a lesson to anyone paying attention, don't divide your forces if you can help it. Mutual support, man.

In that game I could have regrouped but it would have left the few ships that spawned next to me missing a BB and the other side fell so quickly that I would have been alone by the time I got there. Not that it mattered because the ones beside me all rushed ahead of me and a Tirpitz and died long before we were in a position to support them. 

In the last game there was literally nothing I could have done differently. I spawned so far East with 1 little DD that I was too far away from any AA support to have stopped being targeted by the CV. Then once the CV lit me up I noticed I was well within the firing range of all but one of the enemy BBs judging by the amount of shells incoming. I don't mind being outgunned or outnumbered but I hate it when I'm purposely handicapped before the game starts. 3 minutes in and I've lost 60% of my HP without firing a shot because there's nothing in range to shoot at.

I have some suggestions after that failure of a matchup:

-If MM decides on a 2 tier split, there should be more lower tier ships than higher tier. This match was a good example of too many high tier ships making it impossible for the few lower tiers to compete. If anything this should at least be applied to the BBs. A tier VII BB is simply too outranged and outgunned by tier IX BBs, ignoring the fact the Scharnhorst has pellet guns in comparison. 

-If there are CVs in the game, don't put ships with little to no AA on their own on the other side of the map. I almost feel like I was purposely set aside as a target for the CV but that would be silly right?

-I play all classes evenly and I feel gun ranges increase to ridiculous levels. Torpedo range was nerfed so why don't we have gun ranges reduced by say 20% across the board? All other stats would have to be adjusted to accommodate the change. For example in this last match those tier IX BBs on both sides were able to hit almost everywhere on the map so they didn't actually move out of their start positions and bow tanked all game. Of course all the CAs were the first to go and the game was reduced to a few DDs brawling in the middle and those BBs sniping at each other.

Members
330 posts
4,046 battles

If you saw there is a higher tier CV in the match it would've been a good idea to stick with your team mate Myoko or Baltimore. As far as the range is concerned you outrange Ololado and have a couple hundred meters shorter range than Tirpitz. Mighty Mo has some 3 km range longer than you, but frankly she needds that, because you can actually citadel her relatively easy.

When I play my Scharn and I'm top tier I find a gang of cruisers or DDs and go gung-ho on them, but when I'm bottom tier it's a lot of sneaking around islands and picking opportune moment to strike. Plus you're wrong, other BBs can't easily lolpen you. You have up to 350mm of belt armor and you should present a slightly angled profile to the enemy guns so they shoot into your angled side, rather than your bow. Yes, they can all pen you through the bow, but you can bounce anything from your angled side.

I was over 1/3 of the map away from any other ship besides the little DD that started beside me. Forget the name of the map but there's an East and West string of islands in the middle with no other cover.

While the Scharnhorst doesn't seem to take citadels it does seem to take consistent pen damage instead of over pens. This results in a consistent 6-8k of damage per salvo. Sometimes you can completely tank shells? At the range I was getting hit at the shells were coming down more vertically so they were falling on my deck.

Sign in to follow this