Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
TTK_Aegis

So I was comparing stats with a loud person in chat...

29 comments in this topic

[NERO]
Members
3,630 posts

The other night this fellow in chat stood out for the amount of yelling and complaining he was doing about torpedoes being unfair. I decided to have a look at his stats compared to mine and while they were fairly similar (His accuracy is slightly ahead of mine, but his win rate is slightly below... etc etc) something stood out.

He's played 400 more games than I have and traveled 10,000 fewer miles. 

He plays mostly BBs so I got to thinking, could camping explain this? Do we have a case of someone lamenting torps because they never move to avoid them? I'm surprised that with that many more games he'd have moved that much less. 

• Cool 1

Alpha Tester
884 posts
3,403 battles

Thats only 25 miles per game.

If you spend most of your time in DD's and he spends most of his in BB's (especially slow BB's) that could easily be the difference.

If you both play the same mix of ships, yeah, camping could be his issue.

Since he's complaining about torps, he also might be sailing line straight lines and dying early.

If you live longer that would let you put on more miles.

[NERO]
Members
3,630 posts

ning about torps, he also might be sailing line straight lines and dying early.

If you live longer that would let you put on more miles.

We're both primarily BB players looks like. 

Good point on the living longer though. I don't tend to die early match. More often than not I take a beating in the first push, withdraw to heal, and push a second time. 

[BARF]
Beta Testers
5,816 posts
5,484 battles

We're both primarily BB players looks like. 

Good point on the living longer though. I don't tend to die early match. More often than not I take a beating in the first push, withdraw to heal, and push a second time. 

Withdrawal is but a cowards tactic. 

I keep, I keed

[NERO]
Members
3,630 posts

10k fewer than what? There's a difference between "10k fewer than my 50k" and "10k fewer than my 500k".

Him: 40K miles and 1150 games.

Me: 50K miles and 750 games. 

Members
3,959 posts
7,738 battles

Him: 40K miles and 1150 games.

Me: 50K miles and 750 games. 

Mine is sort of between you and him - comes to roughly 50 miles per game. I don't think it's easy to draw any conclusions from that stat though, because ship speed (and by extension its tier) would play a big role.

Alpha Tester
884 posts
3,403 battles

I don't recall, did they always track miles sailed or was that something they added after the game went live?

If they added it later that would have an impact on the distance shown.

[RST]
Members
835 posts
21,818 battles

I don't recall, did they always track miles sailed or was that something they added after the game went live?

If they added it later that would have an impact on the distance shown.

I've been here over a year and in that time it's always been here.

I've travelled 226,326 miles so far - that's almost the distance from the earth to the moon.

[HC]
[HC]
Beta Testers
3,298 posts
12,976 battles

Interesting food for thought, I also appear to average 50 miles per game. I wonder what the average actually is.

Members
2,255 posts

You made me look at my stats... I wanted to see how far I traveled... 58 miles per battle. Holy cow. I know usually am full throttle most of the game. I hate camping, I move as much as I can.

stats_zpso9zmygaf.png

I have a 59% *51%* survival rate too. :trollface: (less troll face)

Edited by MorbidGamer

[5IN]
Members
1,371 posts
28,979 battles

i move a lot but i also get torped a lot. i dont curse the DDs, I curse myself for being predictable.

[-_W_-]
Members
1,089 posts
2,418 battles

I've got 55,691 miles traveled over 1,623 battles for ~34 miles/game (roughly the same as the other player in your anecdote), and outside of very specific situations (i.e. lying in wait just around an island for a BB so I can torp it) I despise sitting still. I don't think camping explains it.

Edit: Could be related to survival rate (because obviously, lives longer = travels farther). I've got only 21% survival rate, while Tengu averages 46 miles with his 47% survival rate.

Edited by Izolyn

[GSKUL]
Alpha Tester
340 posts

i move a lot but i also get torped a lot. i dont curse the DDs, I curse myself for being predictable.

random side note: I only really curse DDs when they get stupidly lucky and drop torps in a random direction but still hit me. I had a benson derp into a mountain, stay lit the entire time, and still land 5 torps on my freddie because he just torped randomly and managed to catch me just as I turned around (after he died). Stupid lucky timing (i could just as easily have turned the other way at a different time).

Edit: 43 miles per battle, and I don't bow camp at all. I'm generally at full speed the entire game, not sure how much you can glean from this info. 

Edited by Aloeus

[BWC]
Beta Testers
1,839 posts
7,532 battles

I personally think trying to argue stats in chat is proof the conversation has ceased to have any meaningful chance of being productive, since it means one or both sides have nothing else better to back up their position (and stats are too much the product of many factors to be used as a basis for proving anything substantive...even the number of battles played can be misleading if the player spent the majority of those games afk or just dropping until they found a match where they had a marked advantage).

As to the miles travelled vrs games played, it is plain the other player doesn't move around as much, but that doesn't mean they sit in one place a lot.  It could be, as I touched on above, that they had a lot of disconnect matches where they never bothered to reconnect, or they spend a lot of their time with their engines at half speed.  Unless you had direct evidence of their playstyle, it's probably very hard to use it as grounds for proving they do a specific thing, and I'd go with what I actually saw the player doing and saying instead of trying to pull proof from stats that aren't direct facts (i.e. you could say the other player doesn't move around in their battles as much as you do, but you couldn't say they never use more than half speed on their ships from those numbers).

Edited by Jakob_Knight

[UDEAD]
Beta Testers
994 posts
12,359 battles

You need to factor in average tier difference, lower tiers means smaller maps and slower ships which will result in less distance covered. The stat for distance covered is also not segregated between PVP, Coop, Ranked and team battles like other stats are so you need to make sure you count those as well in order to make an apples to apples comparison. 

Edited by NCC81701

Beta Testers
2,317 posts
5,270 battles

I personally think trying to argue stats in chat is proof the conversation has ceased to have any meaningful chance of being productive, since it means one or both sides have nothing else better to back up their position (and stats are too much the product of many factors to be used as a basis for proving anything substantive...even the number of battles played can be misleading if the player spent the majority of those games afk or just dropping until they found a match where they had a marked advantage).

As to the miles travelled vrs games played, it is plain the other player doesn't move around as much, but that doesn't mean they sit in one place a lot.  It could be, as I touched on above, that they had a lot of disconnect matches where they never bothered to reconnect, or they spend a lot of their time with their engines at half speed.  Unless you had direct evidence of their playstyle, it's probably very hard to use it as grounds for proving they do a specific thing, and I'd go with what I actually saw the player doing and saying instead of trying to pull proof from stats that aren't direct facts (i.e. you could say the other player doesn't move around in their battles as much as you do, but you couldn't say they never use more than half speed on their ships from those numbers).

He was not bring up stats in chat. There was a loud complainer in chat and he looked the guy up after the battle.

Personally I think the stat is more influenced by survival rate more than anything. That can be for good or for bad. He could be reacting and shifting flanks while surviving or he could be running away from fights the entire match. Amazes me how the last couple ships will run away in a loosing battle instead of going out in a blaze of glory and at least attempt a miracle save.

[PVE]
Members
563 posts
10,581 battles

You need to factor in average tier difference, lower tiers means smaller maps and slower ships which will result in less distance covered. The stat for distance covered is also not segregated between PVP, Coop, Ranked and team battles like other stats are so you need to make sure you count those as well in order to make an apples to apples comparison. 

37000 miles in (1500 coop+100 random) games. Mostly tier 2/3 CL/BB, and I usually go full speed.

[DERE]
Members
212 posts
1,804 battles

Being that I don't have a go-to ship (I'm fine with em all really... decent.... ok...... ... ..................)

welp. 1109 battles and 42134 miles travelled... Is this bad..........................

this is about 38 miles per battle.

[DOOP]
Members
856 posts
2,442 battles

Dang, I'm on my phone and WG ain't showing my milage, and I'm dang curious. Can someone look it up for me?

Sign in to follow this