You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Mahrs

How to citadel Atlanta?

39 comments in this topic

Members
1,797 posts
5,635 battles

My last match this happened:

2 kiils

Iowa - 54k damage, 12 AP hits

Atlanta - 26k damage, 19 (!) AP hits

According to this match, Atlanta is actually tankier than an Iowa.  OK, I joke...but...I DO want to know how to citadel this little guy.  He was a PERFECT target.  The first four salvos I fired were en route to the Iowa - he was STATIONARY.  Not exactly hard to hit.  I started shooting the Iowa...he got narrow for a moment so I go back to shooting Atlanta (still stationary)...he goes broadside again, I finish him...back to shooting Atlanta who is now slowly reversing.  Distance is between 6 and 12km for ALL of this.  

I tried shooting under the turrets, I tried shooting underneath the smoke stacks...nothing!  I am not sure if RNG trolled me or if I'm just not aiming in the right spot...thus my original question: how do you citadel an Atlanta?

As an aside, let me just say how happy I am to have actually won a match...Good Lord...it's another tough day on the waves!

[SYN]
[SYN]
Alpha Tester, Beta Testers
30,523 posts
5,705 battles

Easy, aim center mass waterline, watch her pop like a zit.

• Cool 1

[D-H-O]
[D-H-O]
Members
176 posts
10,545 battles

I love my Atlanta, but she is easy to citadel.  Target her...  Nothing else, just put the reticule over it and target her.  Not as bad as the Molotov, but still. :)

But, you do have a point, now that you mention it, The number of cits I get seem to have dropped off...  I'll have to look at it further.

[CDOGZ]
Beta Testers
702 posts
3,338 battles

*Waves finger around sporadically" - literally... aim at it.

Seemingly anywhere you hit it should cit it. I've shot them, and taken hits in mine from just about everywhere and it's always the same "Show me your citties!" :yes_cap:

Beta Testers
5,082 posts
5,575 battles

The citadel is unprotected but relatively small because the ship is small. You need to get a little bit lucky with the dispersion, especially if your guns are battleship caliber. Atlantas that angle tend to take a ton of 33% AP damage, so I aim for that and consider citadels a bonus.

Members
2,246 posts

While in my Atlanta, my XO was walking out on deck to have a smoke yesterday, dropped his zippo and citadeled the ship.

Edited by Gomez_Adams
  • Cool 5

Beta Testers
2,855 posts
9,043 battles

At close range she is hard to citadel, you have to pretty much aim below the waterline and get lucky. A lot of people don't know how much her armor trolls BBs at close range and you can really use that to your advantage.

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
24,714 posts
19,912 battles

Shoot here:

CLBifP6.jpg

While in my Atlanta, my XO was walking out on deck to have a smoke yesterday, dropped his zippo and citadeled the ship.

Basically, yeah.

• Cool 1

[SYN]
[SYN]
30,523 posts
5,705 battles

:teethhappy:. Yeah well, when I had a Nurnberg, Gunnery officer stepped on the deck and the deck snapped in half.
  • Cool 2

Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,026 posts
27,504 battles

:teethhappy:. Yeah well, when I had a Nurnberg, Gunnery officer stepped on the deck and the deck snapped in half.

Stepping on the deck of a KM CL is strictly forbidden!

Edit: should have written in it German ofc: Das Betreten des Decks eines leichten Kreuzers ist VERBOTEN!

[SYN]
[SYN]
30,523 posts
5,705 battles

Stepping on the deck of a KM CL is strictly forbidden!

yeah, my gunnery officer learned that the hard way. Had him shot for stupidity.

Members
248 posts
13,316 battles

I've had some terrible luck with cit'ing those things lately myself, shouldn't be hard but my shots either splash short or overpen. Just some bad dispersion I guess.

Members
2,246 posts

What a [edited]! Didn't he realize that's what the rope bridge was for?

Members
1,797 posts
5,635 battles

At a guess you got lots of saturation and module damage.

Unfortunately, no.  0 damaged modules, I say again: ZERO.  Hell, I got 3 AA mounts on Iowa at least.  So...seems to be confirmed...RNG trolled me hard.  Oh, and some of my shots were mis-aimed (too far forward) after I started to adjust.  I guess I should be thankful.  If RNG had just let me exterminate the little bugger I would not have received my Fireproof award.  Slightly hilarious cit-penning an Iowa to death and not being able to get even one on the Atlanta...but...well...there you have it.
Edited by Mahrs

[SYN]
[SYN]
30,523 posts
5,705 battles

What a [edited]! Didn't he realize that's what the rope bridge was for?

Guy was a rookie.

resize?url=https%3A%2F%2Fcdn.meme.am%2Fi

Edited by TalonV
  • Cool 1

Members
1,797 posts
5,635 battles

Try harsh language or threatening letters.  

Ah, the UN approach...

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
24,800 posts
3,895 battles

If my Shiratsuyu can citadel an Atlanta to death, your big fat stupid battleship sure as hell can.

[KMS]
[KMS]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,663 posts
12,138 battles

RNG crap that is.

Edited by Nachoo31

Members
4,546 posts

Ah yes, the CA which you can't seem to do any damage to.  Seems like there is always one every day which this happens to me in.  Doesn't matter how I hit it, with what, or where, but I barely do any damage to it.  Even more frustrating when you fire a broadside in a BB, watch as you get maybe 900 of damage while his shots are producing 1k of damage every couple of seconds (doesn't matter the angle) and you're waiting for a 30 sec reload.

Beta Testers
3 posts
1,619 battles

I have had my citadel hit by some sneaky destroyers and I'm pretty sure a secondary from a cruiser sent my Atlanta to the bottom before. As a BB captain you might end up over penning her hull, especially with AP. I treat the Atlanta as a large DD and use HE.