Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Ace_04

Torpedo Reload Booster - Kagero

13 comments in this topic

[-K-]
Members
8,491 posts
14,883 battles

Hello chaps,

I'm currently about 3/4 through the Kagero grind and somehow today just realized it has access to the Torpedo Reload Booster consumable.  Unlike the Shiratsuyu's 5 second reload, Kagero's is 30 seconds, but that's still a darn nice improvement than waiting for what seems like an eternity for the standard torp reload cycle.

Unfortunately, this consumable can only be equipped in exchange for the Smoke Generator option.  As DD's, we all know how valuable that is.  I do have CE and a detection range down to 5.4km, so I can evade a lot of detection.

My question is, is the trade-off for more of your main armament worth the risk of losing smoke?

[SWOLF]
Beta Testers
791 posts
7,621 battles

not really. shes just not fast enouph to get out if you screw up without smoke. if she were 1 or 2 knots faster maybe but as it is now, its just not quite worth it...

Alpha Tester
884 posts
3,403 battles

I leveled through the Kag back when it was still Tier 9.

I found smoke to be far more useful.

Being able to quicky reload the launchers once every 5 min (4 if you use premium) is in no way as useful as smoke.

I think WG understood this which is why the new ships can use both.

Members, Beta Testers
1,591 posts
2,659 battles

I think the smokes are more useful honestly.  The ability to smoke up for evasion or shooting is usually better than occasionally getting off some extra fish.

Members
5,417 posts
3,213 battles

Nope. Roll with smoke. Kagero is painfully slow, and torpedoes have been nerfed so hard and are so easy to detect. Why give up an almost guaranteed means of escape and means of providing cover for allies, for a reload booster that has a huge margin to still fail. All the enemy has to do is press the WASD keys, and your use of that charge that could have been smoke is now worthless.

[WSUND]
Members
1,494 posts
12,205 battles

If you enjoy playing IJN DD's then my recommendation would be:

1) Buy a Fujin/Kamikaze

2) Earn the Shinonome

3) Grind through the Mutsucky and the Hatsuhorible and unlock the Shiratsuyu (that has smoke and a 5 second torpedo reload boost)

4) Grind through to the Yugumo and ultimately the Shimakaze (because we all want 3x5 torps)

The permanent torpedo boats in your port would then be Fujin/Kamikaze T5, Shinonome T6, Shiratsuyu T7, Shimakaze T10.  Yeah, this leaves a hole at T8 (eventually I will play the T8 Kagero, but if I really need a T8 ship I'd probably look at my Takao or North Carolina) and at T9 you keep the USN Fletcher, which is a better torpedo boat than the Yugumo (2x5 torps vs 2x4, similar reload times, 2.5km more distance, and while the Fletcher torps are slower they have a much shorter detection range, better smoke, and much faster firing guns with incredible turret traverse so you are much better equipped for the inevitable knife fights.

to answer your question....I would never sacrifice smoke for a 30 second torpedo reload booster...in the Kagero, you need the smoke for survival.

Edited by Captain_Dilbert

[-K-]
Members
8,491 posts
14,883 battles

Nope. Roll with smoke. Kagero is painfully slow, and torpedoes have been nerfed so hard and are so easy to detect. Why give up an almost guaranteed means of escape and means of providing cover for allies, for a reload booster that has a huge margin to still fail. All the enemy has to do is press the WASD keys, and your use of that charge that could have been smoke is now worthless.

Good point.

It would be nice if it was restructured like the Shiratsuyu's consumables where you can have your cake and eat it too.  It'd at least help Kagero be more competitive at her tier.

Members
5,417 posts
3,213 battles

Good point.

It would be nice if it was restructured like the Shiratsuyu's consumables where you can have your cake and eat it too.  It'd at least help Kagero be more competitive at her tier.

Kagero and Yugumo both.

[WSUND]
Members
1,494 posts
12,205 battles

It is not uncommon for me to land 4 out of 6 torps on a single target while in my Fujin, and quite often these are much smaller BBs (573 ft for the NY vs ~900 ft for Iowa),  yet in my Yugumo it's rare to get more than 2 hits out of 8.  I understand that the over time BB captains actually learn WASD hacks, but I attribute more of it to the torpedo detection nerfs, hydro, fighter planes, vigilance, and target acquisition module.  

Beta Testers
1,136 posts
3,488 battles

Hello chaps,

I'm currently about 3/4 through the Kagero grind and somehow today just realized it has access to the Torpedo Reload Booster consumable.  Unlike the Shiratsuyu's 5 second reload, Kagero's is 30 seconds, but that's still a darn nice improvement than waiting for what seems like an eternity for the standard torp reload cycle.

Unfortunately, this consumable can only be equipped in exchange for the Smoke Generator option.  As DD's, we all know how valuable that is.  I do have CE and a detection range down to 5.4km, so I can evade a lot of detection.

My question is, is the trade-off for more of your main armament worth the risk of losing smoke?

Imo, no. With smoke is too useful; not only for yourself, but your team. @30 seconds, ive found the booster is almost never ready when you need it and it doesnt benefit your team in any way. Maybe at 5 seconds it would be a trade to consider, but 30 is laughable compared to the utility you give up. The entire situation has changed by the time booster brings the torps back up.

The only helpful advise i can offer is simply dont blow both salvos on one target. This way you can manage the rotation to be less excruciating.

[FAE]
Members
2,616 posts
3,631 battles

Tried it, but some was much better. 

Honestly, the line is all sorts of fk'ed.  While its cool to have a 5sec reload on Shira and Aki... why did they need it??  Why not the normal 30 secs. The one instance of OP IJN DDs... which are still hard to play and do dmg with.  

Why do the Kagero and Yugumo not get the reload in a separate slot, even for 30sec.??  Heck, the Shimakaze is lowest in every single stat, not just win rate at T10.  Fix this crap! 

Sign in to follow this