You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
TheDreadnought

HE Penetration Skill?

20 comments in this topic

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
4,701 posts

So help me understand this skill.  Who is the target audience that will really benefit from it.  Aren't all the HE spammers hoping for fires all the time.  How does this help them?

[O7]
Alpha Tester, Alpha Tester
11,906 posts
8,763 battles

Mogami and Akizuki are the only ships I would consider it on because both get the ability to penetrate more significant amounts of ships they face. 

Members
5,202 posts

British cruisers

JOKING

IT'S A JOKE

JK

Edited by Kombat_W0MBAT
  • Cool 1

[NERO]
Members
3,630 posts

I've seen videos of this skill making BB HE absolutely devastating to DDs and CLs. As in much more damage than normal BB HE or AP vs a DD. Plus BB fire chance is so high anyway the reduction hardly matters. 

[-K-]
Beta Testers
1,804 posts
11,598 battles

British cruisers

JOKING

IT'S A JOKE

JK

I think you're lying

[KNTAI]
Members
3,133 posts
8,754 battles

Mogami and Akizuki are the only ships I would consider it on because both get the ability to penetrate more significant amounts of ships they face. 

Mogami if you're using the 155's. The 203's are fine, and is the one most people use anyway.

Members
2,255 posts

Going to be an anti cruiser skill more then anything. Since most of their armor is right around shatter thickness. So you can pretty much melt them even if they are bow on. I don't see any reason for a BB to take. 1 because of dispersion and 2 they already have large amount of HE pen. 

[TBCIC]
Members
587 posts
7,407 battles

Not always, but in a BB & being chased by 1+ DDs, isn't the sight of a burnin' Tin can a wonderful sight?

[HINON]
Members
13,743 posts

It does effect secondaries so might have some utility but I know most BB players go for fires from them but raw damage might be nice.

[O7]
Alpha Tester, Alpha Tester
11,906 posts
8,763 battles

Mogami if you're using the 155's. The 203's are fine, and is the one most people use anyway.

There was a recent Q&A where the devs indicated that the 155s are still heavily used. 

[SYN]
[SYN]
Alpha Tester, Beta Testers
30,523 posts
5,705 battles

I could see it on the KM ships since their HE sucks and their fire chances are garbage anyways.

[BOTES]
[BOTES]
Members
198 posts
12,201 battles

There was a recent Q&A where the devs indicated that the 155s are still heavily used. 

The 155mm are better than the 203mm. WG should buff the range to 16.5km and maybe lower the reload only for the 203s while reducing the rotation of the 155mm turrets to 35s and standarize the nerf penalties while shooting by the caliber and not by Stock/Top hull.
Edited by GFischer

[-K-]
[-K-]
Beta Testers
389 posts
7,159 battles

I had already been musing the idea of IFHE on my german battleships to myself. The point isn't for the main guns, it is for the secondaries. With +30% pen the 105mm guns go from no damage hits against all BB armor and all DD armor except superstructure to direct damage on BB superstructure and all DD armor. There may be some benefits vs cruisers as well, but they're a secondary concern.

Previously at 6% fire reduction I was very torn on the practicality of this. At 3% however, I think it is a done deal. With the KM 105mm they already had an unusually high 8% fire chance, after the reduction that's 5% but with more shells successfully dealing direct damage you get the full fire chance instead of a shell shattered penalty.

The major benefit here is against DDs, instead of 6/14 broadside secondary guns being capable of direct damage vs DDs you go to 14/14. Not to mention the 105's fire way faster than the 150's and often are the ones hitting successfully.

[KNTAI]
Members
3,133 posts
8,754 battles

The 155mm are better than the 203mm. WG should buff the range to 16.5km and maybe lower the reload only for the 203s while reducing the rotation of the 155mm turrets to 35s and standarize the nerf penalties while shooting by the caliber and not by Stock/Top hull.

Well, by nerfing the turret turn rate on the 155's, and invisifre unless you were on hull A, WG wanted to discourage people from sticking with the 155's. Basically, they don't want people to use 155's on their Mogami, and would rather want they upgrade to 203's. That said, due to ROF, the 155's are more potent, due to their fire staring capabilities. So if it weren't for the turret rotation nerf, 155's would be superior to their intended upgrade, the 203's.

[BOTES]
[BOTES]
Members
198 posts
12,201 battles

Well, by nerfing the turret turn rate on the 155's, and invisifre unless you were on hull A, WG wanted to discourage people from sticking with the 155's. Basically, they don't want people to use 155's on their Mogami, and would rather want they upgrade to 203's. That said, due to ROF, the 155's are more potent, due to their fire staring capabilities. So if it weren't for the turret rotation nerf, 155's would be superior to their intended upgrade, the 203's.

Thats why i said buff the reload & range of the 203mm and only the rotation of the 155mm to be competitive. But we know that WG doesn't do that just because they want Atagos and Kutuzovs to be better....

[13TH]
Members
4,898 posts
8,895 battles

The new HE rounds are somthing that needs to be tried out , I play mostly Cruisers so now with the lowering of fire with DE you can make it up with flags however lowering fire even further with the new rounds is an unknown may times my 152mm rounds do nothing when shooting at BBs at distance,my thinking is because Cruiser AFT was taken away for to much fire a while ago this might be a slight buff for Cruisers BBs rarely fire HE at me

Members
499 posts
7,185 battles

I've seen videos of this skill making BB HE absolutely devastating to DDs and CLs. As in much more damage than normal BB HE or AP vs a DD. Plus BB fire chance is so high anyway the reduction hardly matters. 

It has absolutely no effect on BBs shooting at DDs, except lowering your fire change, with the one exception of a Scharnhort in a fail division in a T10 match facing a Khabarovsk.

Currently 283mm HE will pen 47mm of armour, that's all DDs with exception of the Khabs belt, and all CA hull and superstructure.   You could potentially pen poorly armored cruisers belts with 406s with IFHE, but you may as well shoot AP at them for better affect, as it will over match the bow/hull plating regardless.

Edited by Veasel