You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
SireneRacker

rant - Consumable combinations

16 comments in this topic

[WG-CC]
Privateers, Members
9,091 posts
7,978 battles

Okay usually I try to reduce the rant to a minimum but there is one thing that is just broken in this game.

To make it short, Belfast should not have Smoke, Radar AND Hydro at once. Let me explain why:

In most cases there is more than one enemy in front of you. As long as they are there and not behind me I have no problem with that. I also don't care when larger ships get smoke. It is a game mechanic and when someone spots them from the outside I know how to counter them: kill the spotter. No problem there. He may rain HE over me from his smokescreen but I know that this will not last forever so I also don't complain about that one. You will also not hear me complaining about Edinbourghs sitting in their smoke shooting at me while using their radar. If I angle myself I can also reduce the damage to a minimum. But when the worst of these things come together I find it just too much to deal with. A Belfast can create his own smokescreen to hide himself and then rain HE over me using his radar to keep me spotted. And since we are speaking about Cruiser HE in large quantities I can expect several fires. And that is too much.

Smokescreens are usually working both ways. I can't see him and the other way around. This combination of Smoke and Radar breaks this circle and the HE adds even more frustration. And to top that Belfast gets a Hydro Acoustic as a topping.

I am open to discuss this, and I have had my daily dose of salt, but spare me that 'git gud n00b' if possible.

The Sirene

Alpha Tester
884 posts
3,403 battles

If a Belfast is in smoke with no one to spot for it, and you are so close it can light you up with its own radar or hydro, just rush it.

Belfast is an easy kill for most ships at close range as it has no torps.

[WG-CC]
Privateers, Members
9,091 posts
7,978 battles

If a Belfast is in smoke with no one to spot for it, and you are so close it can light you up with its own radar or hydro, just rush it.

Belfast is an easy kill for most ships at close range as it has no torps.

We are speaking of 8.5km Radar range. That is not close enough for me to risk overextending
  • Cool 1

[NDA]
Supertester
3,926 posts
2,279 battles

Radar duration is what, 20 seconds?  About 4-5 salvos from Belfast?  I don't even bother using radar to shoot from my own smoke, because then it is always on cooldown when I really need it to shred a DD hiding in his smoke.

Now I'll grant that if you get 2-3 of them working together in a division, it is pretty hard to crack that nut.  But we are supposed to encourage team play.

I got curious so loaded into game and checked real quick.  Radar duration is 25 seconds.  Reload is 7.9 on mine with no captain aboard, so that's 3 salvos, maybe 4 if I get one off within a second of radar coming online and another one a second after it goes out.

Edited by kerensky914

Beta Testers
2,029 posts

It was a common complaint by community contributors even before the ship was released.  They annoyed me during the first week or so, but it's been a while since I've actually seen one.

Edited by AspiringCodger

[PLDN]
Alpha Tester
2,162 posts
6,682 battles

Belfast's fire rate is high enough and has a small enough smoke cloud that you can easily demolish it from outside the smoke. 

[WG-CC]
Privateers, Members
9,091 posts
7,978 battles

Radar duration is what, 20 seconds?  About 4-5 salvos from Belfast?  I don't even bother using radar to shoot from my own smoke, because then it is always on cooldown when I really need it to shred a DD hiding in his smoke.

Now I'll grant that if you get 2-3 of them working together in a division, it is pretty hard to crack that nut.  But we are supposed to encourage team play.

I got curious so loaded into game and checked real quick.  Radar duration is 25 seconds.  Reload is 7.9 on mine with no captain aboard, so that's 3 salvos, maybe 4 if I get one off within a second of radar coming online and another one a second after it goes out.

When each of these salvos can rip of ~7k and set some fires he can easily achieve 20k only using HE damage without getting anything in return.

Alpha Tester
884 posts
3,403 battles

What sort of ship are you taking about being the target in this situation?

Yeah, a Belfast can rip apart a DD in radar range during the duration of its radar. But then again the Belfast is pretty much purpose built to eat DD's at close range.

A Belfast will have trouble doing that much damage that fast to a BB though.

[WG-CC]
Privateers, Members
9,091 posts
7,978 battles

Yeah, a Belfast can rip apart a DD in radar range during the duration of its radar. But then again the Belfast is pretty much purpose built to eat DD's at close range.

Last game where a Belfast took away half of my health with one radar I was in an Eugen at ~7km and I could not get closer.

[FOXEH]
Banned
14,364 posts
19,991 battles

3 or 4 unreturned salvo's from a Belfast, especially when you're in a DD, can absolutely ruin your day.

[TSF_1]
Members
3,301 posts
7,732 battles

Belfast is OP, and there's no denying it. It's honestly the bane of my existence in anything but carriers. Just prioritize torps into the smoke and punish them for spending money.

IMHO everyone should focus them for taking it out. Call me crazy...

Members
249 posts
15,553 battles

if yout hink thats bad, get a 15 point concealment expert captain inside it and your radar range almost matches yor radar range exactly you get spotted, pop smoke/hydro and then radar and kill the DD and youre done. bonus for dodging any torps... but with that said. shes still a tin can british CL. so she needs a little help.. it is T7 aswell... more and more ships are being equipped with Radar...

Beta Testers
113 posts
9,297 battles

Considering how easy the belfast dies to anyone but a potato captain...no shes not OP and imho flamu is wrong about that..,he is overpowered as a player not the ship ^^....back to topic ..if u really want to see debatable consumable choices or LACK of such. Look at IJN Shimakaze. A Tier 10 DD with only the basic smoke and engine boost, for a ship that is already the worst DD at high tier. Next YUGOMO... A mediocre GUNBOAT (in the torpedo boat line!!!)  that gets only Smoke OR a torpedo booster for its TERRIBLE torpedos which u hardly ever use....for wich u have to sacrifice Smoke Screen (so who on earth would chose that!?!) and as 2nd consumable also useless Speed Boost. Allthough not as squishy this boat excels at NOTHING. Weak. Furthermore a bunch of ships with horrible AA which doesnt shoot down anything get Defensive Fire as a choice. Yeah...right..useless.

On the other hand u have ships like Bismarck, Zao , Minotaur, Missouri,Khabarovsk, Fletcher,Gearing,Lo Yang, Flint, etc etc ...we dont evne have to discuss what really is overpowered in this game yes? The game has the 2ndary mechanics for low maintenance cow clicker BB players who dont evne have to AIM at something to get damage done in a ridicolous way with fire chance that is just an insult to anyone who puts 60-80 shots manually on target without getting a fire.....talking about Overpowered..might have a look at these builds.

Edited by S4breh4wk

Members
34 posts
2,536 battles

Tell that to my IFHE Belfast. 4.5K salvos every 6 seconds on any BB, virtually no shatters. Works on cruisers too.

And I don't understand the premise of "Just charge the smoke" - That doesn't work if the player is any good. Focus down the enemy ship charging, if it's a cruiser it almost ALWAYS will turn broadside at one point if it has torpedoes, which means good citadels. Or rain IFHE rain down upon the target until they die. I've never been chased from my smoke, because if your THAT close to the enemy to be chased away, your too close. Let the team spot, choose an optimal position, keep hydro up, and fire away while being mindful of avoiding incoming fire into the cloud. Being close-ish to the team helps too, I only ever pop my smoke if it's a good place to do it, otherwise I silence my guns and creep around with my 8.7km detection range until the right moment. I haven't tried specifically targeting torpedo launchers with my guns, but I figure that could work too. Belfast is just as deadly to cruisers and BBs as it is to DDs, and I would never charge a Belfast smoke blindly if I knew that player was better than me when it comes to skill.

It's like an IFHE Atlanta, but better. Absolutely glorious. I have a WR of 62% over 100 battles in my Belfast, and climbing now that I've gotten better in and gotten IFHE. Definitely a very, very strong ship if your not a total potato.

Edited by Myobu

[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts

I have considered Putting out the cash for the Belfast for the very reasons people think it is OP but in reality I need a British Premium to train my British Fleet Captains. The Fact it has HE and is very maneuverable with Great Accuracy. Why Not?

[BAD_]
Members
344 posts
19,091 battles

I think EVERY ship should have radar and hydro it would level the playing field especially when dealing with invisible ships. I quit ranked battles because of all the invisible ships launching torps and firing main batteries and even being on fire and invisible.