Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
real_icebeast

Adrenaline Rush - Is it good now?

16 comments in this topic

[WOLF2]
Members
252 posts
9,970 battles

Before the latest update to the PTS, Adrenaline Rush (AR) offered a 0.1% bonus to RoF for all weapons for each 1% of HP lost.  This was pretty much trash for everyone.  Assuming maximum benefit (minimum health) it did the following: For a 30 second reload BB, it offered 4 additional shots per game at most.  For a 15 second reload CA/CL, 8 extra shots.  At 10 second reload, 12 additional shots.  Only fast firing ships would get a nice bonus of 20-40 shots depending on reload speed.  Of course, this required you to have basically no health.    If we consider the average case to be 50% health, meaning a 5% bonus, this skill looks really bad.  A 30 second BB would probably only get 1 additional shot per game since a 5% bonus is only 1 extra shot every 10 minutes. 

At 0.2%, however, I think this skill is quite good.  We'll stick with the 50% health case as I expect this to be the common case.  I still don't think this skill is great for most BBs.  I expect the average outcome for most BBs will be 2 extra shots per game.  That isn't nothing and could definitely save your life, but it isn't a lot.  Where this skill really shines is for fast firing ships.  USN and Russian destroyers should absolutely love this skill.  It's not uncommon to be at ~50% health in a destroyer.  If you're in a Benson with BFT, your reload speed goes down to a ludicrous 2.7 seconds. Gearing gets to drop to 2.4 seconds.  This is an additional shot ever 30 or 27 seconds respectively or 40+ extra shots per game.   Khaborvsk can drop her reload speed down to a terrifying 4 seconds.  This also effects torpedos (at least that is my understanding) which is a nice bonus.

The problem for DDs is that this competes with other tier 2 skills, mainly Last Stand and the new smoke screen skill.  However, I'd be very tempted to take this skill in a fast firing DD.

As a CA/CL, it's unclear if this is a good skill to take.  Perhaps with 2 left over points when reaching 18 or 19 skill captain, but I feel there are probably better skills and the benefit is not as great as it is in a DD.  Plus, being a 50% health in a CA is a significant detriment compared to a DD, since CAs can so easily get deleted by BBs and other CAs.  

Finally, let us return to BBs.  While I still don't think this skill is great for most BBs, as I said before, I do think this skill is ridiculously good for brawling BBs, mainly Bismarck.  Since the skill does effect the rate of fire of secondaries, you can make your already OP secondaries fire 10% faster.  Since brawlers are going to take damage as is their nature, this skill seems perfect for that role and acts as a second BFT.   I'd probably get this first over DE (not sure, really have to consider it) as a 16th point skill.  Definitely would be in my 19pt build for a Bismarck.

TLDR; Anyway, the answer is yes, I think it is good now.  OP or better than other skills, probably not but I expect to see it in several builds.

Supertest Coordinator
7,223 posts
14,434 battles

PS, if it works like how the T5 skill is, it also counts for secondaries, even those above 139mm, compared to BFT. It makes it significantly more practical to take it knowing you will take damage and saving 3pt for SI. Also, 20 second reloads for 406GK when at 20K HP.

[WOLF2]
Members
252 posts
9,970 battles

That's a really good point.  I hadn't considered the bonus to Bismarcks 150s which aren't benefited by BFT.  Unfortunately, those 150s don't get the range upgrade from AFT but it still a nice additional bonus.

[-FBS-]
Members
2,646 posts
4,290 battles

That's a really good point.  I hadn't considered the bonus to Bismarcks 150s which aren't benefited by BFT.  Unfortunately, those 150s don't get the range upgrade from AFT but it still a nice additional bonus.

AFT effects all secondary guns. 

[quote name=:

WOWS_Advanced_Firing_Training_2.png

Advanced Firing Training

4 Extends firing range of main guns with a caliber up to and including 139mm and all secondary battery guns. Also increases range of all AA guns. +20% to firing range of main battery guns with a caliber up to 139mm and all secondary battery guns.

+20% to AA defense firing range.

Edited by saagri

[WOLF2]
Members
252 posts
9,970 battles

Well I still think firing 12 406mm guns every 20 seconds is a good deal owo

I'm not complaining about the bonus you might get at effectively 1% health (~1K hp in a GK, < 1K hp in a Montana) which is really nice when you're about to die, but I don't think I you're going to live long there.  Thats why I spent most of my time analyzing the 50% health case.

AFT effects all secondary guns. 

Yes, I need to spend less time in DDs where I focus too heavily on the 139 number.  For Bismarck, AFT, BFT, AR and Manual Control is really going to be a beast.

Edited by real_icebeast

Supertest Coordinator
7,223 posts
14,434 battles

You'd have approx 20s reload at 30K health. You would actually hit 19 at death if you were brave.

[WOLF2]
Members
252 posts
9,970 battles

You'd have approx 20s reload at 30K health. You would actually hit 19 at death if you were brave.

I'm not sure how you got there.  The GK has a default reload of 29s.  AR offers a 0.2% speed reduction for every 1% of health lost.  That 2% for 10% health lost and 20% for 100% health lost.  That is 29s * 0.8 = 23.2s reload (really good imo but not 19 seconds).  The only other way I know of to reduce reload time is MBM3 which reduces a further 12% so it would be 29 * 0.8 * 0.88 = 20.4 (also really good). 

If I'm missing something please tell me but I don't know of any other way to reduce reload time of a Main Battery with 406mm guns.

Supertest Coordinator
7,223 posts
14,434 battles

I'm not sure how you got there.  The GK has a default reload of 29s.  AR offers a 0.2% speed reduction for every 1% of health lost.  That 2% for 10% health lost and 20% for 100% health lost.  That is 29s * 0.8 = 23.2s reload (really good imo but not 19 seconds).  The only other way I know of to reduce reload time is MBM3 which reduces a further 12% so it would be 29 * 0.8 * 0.88 = 20.4 (also really good). 

If I'm missing something please tell me but I don't know of any other way to reduce reload time of a Main Battery with 406mm guns.

mistyped 29 to 28 in math Reload speed IIRC should be additive and not multiplicative as it is a decrease.

[WOLF2]
Members
252 posts
9,970 battles

mistyped 29 to 28 in math Reload speed IIRC should be additive and not multiplicative as it is a decrease.

I don't know the answer to the question of additive vs multiplicative.  I know that concealment is multiplicative.  This is how my Benson gets to 5.8 km concealment: 7.4*0.9*0.9*0.97 = 5.81.  If  it was additive it would be 7.4*(0.77) = 5.698.  So concealment is multiplicative. 

From the wiki, it looks like RoF is also multiplicative but its not as clear.  According to the wiki, a Gearing with BFT and MBM3 has a reload speed of 2.4 seconds.  If multiplicative, this is 3 * 0.9 * 0.88 = 2.376.  If additive, it is 3 * 0.78 = 2.34 which I would not list as 2.4 but as 2.3 myself.  However, I could see someone saying 2.4 on the wiki so its not clear.  This could only be settled by loading up the game and getting the exact reload speed of a Gearing with BFT and MBM3.  

MBM3 does make a Gearing a RoF beast with a reload speed of 2.1 seconds with BFT and AR at 50% as well.  With just a sliver of health, Gearing drops to 1.9s reload.  Fingers hurt much?

[WOLFD]
[WOLFD]
Beta Testers
5,072 posts
1,514 battles

By my math Minnie at near zero could get down to silly low numbers too.

I still think it's a marginal skill that you'd only pick up if you had 2 points to spare or none of the other T2's appealed to you, but it's not trash anymore. go to 0.3% and it would be solid.

Edited by Carl

[WOLF2]
Members
252 posts
9,970 battles

By my math Minnie at near zero could get down to silly low numbers too.

I still think it's a marginal skill that you'd only pick up if you had 2 points to spare or none of the other T2's appealed to you, but it's not trash anymore. go to 0.3% and it would be solid.

I think at 0.3 it would be overpowered, mainly for battleships.  A Bismarck secondary build would be ludicrous, but let's consider the GK.  A GK at 50% health (52,900 HP) would have a rate of fire (with MBM3) of 21.5 seconds.  Would I rather have a cruiser with the same HP (all the T10 cruisers except Moskva have about 50k hp) with less armor and 10-14 second reloads (ignoring DM) or a BB with significantly higher caliber guns, higher armor and a 21.5 second reload?

[-K--]
Members
589 posts
14,693 battles

At 0.2 instead of 0.1 this is now a viable skill, especially for battleships. I'm glad they adjusted the numbers because it was an interesting idea, but not worth it at the previous 0.1 per 1% hp.

Look forward to trying it out on e.g. a Bismarck.

Sign in to follow this