Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Wyatt_DERP85

Kamikaze - is it worth the money?

36 comments in this topic

Members
323 posts
5,699 battles

I've been playing German destroyers some. This looks like it has good torps and is very stealthy compared to the T-22. Do you think it's worth money for? Looks like it would be fun to play.

[DEV_X]
Alpha Tester
2,493 posts
24,837 battles

Yes it's worth it if you're a Destroyer player. It's a great ship. I have the R variant from some cam pain thing way back in the day. 

You can always check the ship stats and see what the averages are for a bit better of an idea.

[CVA16]
Members
5,678 posts
17,497 battles

It will give you a taste of what the IJN used to be before the Great Nerf and its not very expensive. The game is getting crowded with them lately. Play style is different. Depend on stealth most of the time relying on torpedoes. The guns are mostly ornamental although there are cases where you will want/need to shoot things. The gun bloom makes you visible, but is minor by German standards. The guns are better than the nerfed Minekaze and way better than the Mutsuki. You will lose most prolonged gun battles to other ships of your tier or higher (and you see a lot of higher as a tier 5)

Edited by Sabot_100

[INTEL]
[INTEL]
Members
7,679 posts
35,879 battles

If you do not already have a Fujin or a Kamikaze R, the answer is emphatically Yes!

f you have the sisters, then there is no need for it, unless you are a collector.

Edited by alexf24
  • Cool 2

Members
6,168 posts
7,861 battles

Yes, it's worth the money, especially since the rumor going around is that this is the last sale of the Kamikaze. Supposedly, the Kamikaze and clones are going the way of Gremyaschy and Imperitor Nikolai I, in that it's been deemed too strong to ever sell again, and thus will be virtually unobtainable after this sale ends.

[GWG]
Members
7,224 posts
14,028 battles

It has a play style that must be learned.

German DDs have good guns and good torps.

The IJN line, for the most part, has excellent, long range torps and crappy guns. (except Akizuki).

The 3x2 torpedo arrangement allows you to fire 4 at the target, and have two left for 'suicide' range in case you missed.

The guns are weak at best.  I've had 12 hits for zero damage quite a few times.  They are there to make noise, tell everyone where you are, and get you erased quickly.

It's clearly a stealth torpedo boat.  The torpedoes are like a long range moving mine-field you sprinkle into the path of enemy ships.  Fire enough torps, you'll get a hit.

Even though you might not feel it's what you want, it's going away....  FOREVER.  And like the Gremmyashchy and the Imperator Nikolai once was ...  better grab it while you can.

[NERO]
Members
3,630 posts

Definitely worth it. It's basically a Minekaze that'll never be nerfed/balanced. If you like torp boats and the tier range she's in, do it. Do it now. 

[CVA16]
Members
5,678 posts
17,497 battles

But it was "common knowledge" that WG wasn't going to sell it again after the Great Nerf, but I guess they saw a great money making opportunity and realized it really isn't as OP as the Gremmy, so here it is again.

[SYN]
Members
8,256 posts
14,111 battles

If you do not already have a Fujin or a Kamikaze R, the answer is emphatically Yes!

f you have the sisters, then there is no need for it, unless you are a collector.

:great: This.
  • Cool 1

[5IN]
Members
2,106 posts
10,138 battles

Definitely worth it. It's basically a Minekaze that'll never be nerfed/balanced. If you like torp boats and the tier range she's in, do it. Do it now. 

LOL... the way things have been going, never say never... :hiding:

That said, she is a great ship and worth the $13.  While I joke in a post from Zoup (where he was touting them) that they must not be selling well, I bought it anyway and find her to be very fun to play... 

b

Members
323 posts
5,699 battles

I picked her up, I could always use a fun credit grinder to seal club with. I read the reviews, it was overwhelmingly a "this is a fun torpedo boat" so even if I do poorly I'm sure it'll be fun. I'm only at tier 4 with IJN DD's but I've loved both I played so far.

Thanks for the feedback!

Edited by Wyatt_DERP85

[GWG]
Members
7,224 posts
14,028 battles

But it was "common knowledge" that WG wasn't going to sell it again after the Great Nerf, but I guess they saw a great money making opportunity and realized it really isn't as OP as the Gremmy, so here it is again.

I recently got the Gremyashchy in a box.  Tell you what...   I just don't get it.  I get deleted rather quickly.

It's like everybody immediately HATES me.

And I'd have to admit, before I got one -- I would immediately focus fire on the Gremmy too.

It's kind of like a tier 5 Leningrad.  Has good guns, but if you touch that rudder -- gotta wait for the turrets to catch up.

And EVERY match is a tier 7.

I have a Kiev and Ognevoy...  I do better in them than the Gremmy/Leningrad.

Edited by AVR_Project

Members
323 posts
5,699 battles

Ha first game and I did well - a Gremyaschy killed me, I brought him down to 46 health before I died with a split second left on my reload. My mistake was spending too much time trying to initially get a torp on him. We lost 996 to 1000 on cap so if I killed him we woulda won (and I would have continued torpedoing their battleships with impunity).

Anyway, my initial thoughts stealthy torpedo ninja. Since you are stealth firing torps, you can do the same thing at higher tier, the only thing I'd imagine that Kiev and Mahan will rip you apart quite easily. I found myself stealth firing torps and punishing battleships for sailing in a straight line. I only fired my guns when I was already detected or in smoke. I don't think I did any damage to anything except the Gremyaschy.

70kjNTR.jpg

Edited by Wyatt_DERP85

[DOOP]
Members
856 posts
2,442 battles

Don't get in knife fights with her. Sure, you can out manoeuvre a gremy's guns when she's close, but any U.S. gunboat will absolutely paste you to the wall. If you've got anything other than another IJN dd contesting your little area of the map, its best to didi out of there, and regain concealment.

Of course, you did say the points were ticking up. In that case, it's Katey bar the door. Screw lining up the torps. Those slow firing guns can pack a punch on a low health DD.

Members
323 posts
5,699 battles

I was trying to avoid getting close to anything but a wild Gremyaschy appeared and the range was too close to break the distance. I would have been happy to evade instead of fight but I didn't have that option. Either way win/lose this ship looks fun.

Members
24 posts
2,406 battles

To answer your question, yes--absolutely.  I bought one.  I only have a few games in it, but won every one.  A ton of fun.

Edited by The_Mighty_Rabbit

Members
342 posts
6,004 battles

How do you play this ship? I'm doing quite bad. I'm trying the Umikaze playstyle but in this Tier people are more aware about torpedoes and dodge better. I was trying the gunboat russian dd playstyle and Kamikaze is not bad at all but has a short range of only 7.6 km. Any advice would be appreciated.

Edited by Avrova1904

[FOXEH]
Banned
14,364 posts
20,006 battles

How do you play this ship? I'm doing quite bad. I'm trying the Umikaze playstyle but in this Tier people are more aware about torpedoes and dodge better. I was trying the gunboat russian dd playstyle and Kamikaze is not bad at all but has a short range of only 7.6 km. Any advice would be appreciated.

Work with BB's/CA's so you are firing on ships which are distracted and not expecting torps.

Aim for the not obvious ship, like the second one; people never suspect that.

Shoot for BB's first, CV's second, CA's third, CL's fourth, and DD's last.

Use your guns only in emergencies, like when that little voice in your head says "Oh, crap!!"; your guns suck and have a horrific detection penalty.

You have 3 launchers, don't be afraid to "spook" someone with one to see which way he jumps, then let him have the other 2.

As soon as you are spotted, LEAVE! NOW! Your guns suck.

Look for places where red ships "have" to go and put torpedoes there.

Embrace stealth like it was a thousand dollar a night hooker on your worst enemy's credit card, cuz it's all you got.

Members
342 posts
6,004 battles

Thank you for your advice. Working with BBs and CAs and firing torps while the enemy ships are distracted and nor expecting torps seem to be a great strategy, the only drawback is being very careful to not torp my allies. According to your advice, I understand I have to avoid enemy destroyers since Kamikaze guns are inferior and I will loose every 1 vs 1 destroyer combat unless I do great with guns (which is not the case). I think that the Kamikaze torps are great in range, damage and speed (68 knots, really fast) but the reloading time of 43 seconds with captain skills forces you to think twice about when to use them.

Members
323 posts
5,699 battles

This is my favorite ship tier 5 and below now. Glad I picked it up. Only regret was not having enough time to play it more!

Sign in to follow this