Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
saagri

New Captain Skill: Evasive Maneuver Buff on PTS

29 comments in this topic

[-FBS-]
Members
2,646 posts
4,290 battles

From the News:

[quote name=:

Evasive Maneuver: concealment bonus was reduced from -40% to -20%. Survivability bonus was increased from +15% to 75%. We decided to shift the focus of this skill to survivability in order to make it more general-purpose and exclude some concealment abuse scenarios.

Seems like the "revenge killing" of planes as they finished their run and head back to the CV will be less. 

Theory: Rear gunner + Evasive Maneuver = More Fighters Shot Down.

Edited by saagri

[-KIA-]
Banned
9,382 posts
21,083 battles

But this skill is somehow worth less than Expert Rear Gunner?:sceptic:

Edited by TenguBlade

[-FBS-]
Members
2,646 posts
4,290 battles

But this skill is somehow worth less than Expert Rear Gunner?:sceptic:

Rear Gunners OP.

[KMS]
[KMS]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,662 posts
12,138 battles

Saipan's dive bombers just a lot stronger.  :popcorn:

Members
93 posts
3,750 battles

Does it still slow planes down ?

If so that's a big no for me as it will severly hamper your DPS

Plus what's the big deal of making sure to program a 'safe return' run after you bomb ?

[HINON]
Members
4,020 posts
4,800 battles

Does it still slow planes down ?

If so that's a big no for me as it will severly hamper your DPS

Plus what's the big deal of making sure to program a 'safe return' run after you bomb ?

Reserves.

People will tell you that AS is all about preventing damage to allied ships. They are wrong. Playing AS is all about depleting the opponent CV's Reserve pool, the logic being that the player who depletes the other player's Reserves prevents their CV from doing damage means that (supposedly) they win the game.

A late-game USN Strike CV with full squads and a squad or two of each in reserve is a terrifying spectacle to behold, as they can then strike with near impunity, because most of the opponent's AA guns have already been broken, their health has been worn-down, and formations have been broken or stretched, meaning that there is less AA umbrella coverage. This is why some people refer to the USN Strike as "OP." In fact, the real difficulty in USN Strike is to survive and maintain your squads AND somehow contribute to your team during the match, something that is incredibly difficult against USN AS (or IJN anything), because having a Strike CV who is just waiting to strike once the game is half-way through is like having an AFK BB in the first part of the match.

This is also why the strafe mechanic is currently able to be so abused, because you can just strafe empty, returning aircraft while your opponent tries to micro the ones that are still armed to ensure hits.

Edited by Raze_3

Members
363 posts
11,774 battles

The concealment of plane is whatever, but 75% is a fairly large amount.  I mean the 75% increase means that the Shokaku TBs(with ASE) go from 1806 HP to 3160 HP.  3160 HP is about where the T10 planes are with ship mods and captain skills.  So in a way, if you ever played a T8 CV against a T10 CV, it would be something close to that, at least when the planes are returning to the CV.  I mean the NC has a DPS of roughly 600 with cap skills.  That means that instead of losing a plane once every 3 seconds you will lose a plane once every 5 seconds or so.  You would probably save at most 1 or 2 bombers per squadron.  That does add up, but there are other viable skills for the same cost.

[KOOKS]
Alpha Tester
2,861 posts
4,861 battles

Played a match with it...ordering the planes back the way they came as opposed to giving them return order does not seem to slow them down.

Which means, you can waypoint their way back at full speed and give them return order...or give them return order if flying through AA is unavoidable, then resume waypointing once safe. While this render concealment increase a moot point, it may worth considering...

Need more testing...

• Cool 1

[HINON]
Members
4,020 posts
4,800 battles

The concealment of plane is whatever, but 75% is a fairly large amount.  I mean the 75% increase means that the Shokaku TBs(with ASE) go from 1806 HP to 3160 HP.  3160 HP is about where the T10 planes are with ship mods and captain skills.  So in a way, if you ever played a T8 CV against a T10 CV, it would be something close to that, at least when the planes are returning to the CV.  I mean the NC has a DPS of roughly 600 with cap skills.  That means that instead of losing a plane once every 3 seconds you will lose a plane once every 5 seconds or so.  You would probably save at most 1 or 2 bombers per squadron.  That does add up, but there are other viable skills for the same cost.

However, for the USN, it's pretty important. You could probably save 3 or 4 bombers per squadron, and even more dive bombers, which is almost a full-health squadron. So, for every squad destroyed, you now save (let's make a conservative estimate) 3 planes. That means that your reserves would supposedly last twice as long as before.

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
28,244 posts
24,663 battles

Slow planes = Easy to intercept with fighters

Fighter strafes don't care about your Rear Gunners and slow flying bombers.

Funny thought:  Are you willing to slow down your bombers at Tier VII so Saipan's fighters can more easily catch up with them? :trollface:

WG has no idea what they're doing in these traits for CVs.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

Members
3,256 posts
4,322 battles

No you use the skill when in AA or caught by those Saipan fighters then when they run out of ammo then you set a waypoint right next to your carrier and fly at normal speed. Get close and then hot F

[HINON]
Members
4,020 posts
4,800 battles

Funny thought:  Are you willing to slow down your bombers at Tier VII so Saipan's fighters can more easily catch up with them? :trollface:

No, I'm willing to slow down my bombers at Tier VIII so that Iowa AA doesn't shred them as much on the return.

[KOOKS]
Alpha Tester
2,861 posts
4,861 battles

I think you can pull outta AA by giving return order if you happen to run into one...also probably useful to duck out of Defensive Fire...

Members
2,646 posts
4,301 battles

On the approach is still going to be the same.  75% is a significant increase though,  might actually make it worth the speed decrease.  That will also help mitigate some of the damage from strafes though...not sure by how much since strafe is stupidly broken.  Problem is...the main thing with a CV is getting that approach.  Getting things out of there alive is a bonus and obviously being able to maintain planes is important,  but eventually plane reserves get to the point where you can afford to wipe several times and it won't adversely affect your strike power.

Really just sorta feels like a filler skill.

[-FBS-]
Members
2,646 posts
4,290 battles

On the approach is still going to be the same.  75% is a significant increase though,  might actually make it worth the speed decrease.  That will also help mitigate some of the damage from strafes though...not sure by how much since strafe is stupidly broken.  Problem is...the main thing with a CV is getting that approach.  Getting things out of there alive is a bonus and obviously being able to maintain planes is important,  but eventually plane reserves get to the point where you can afford to wipe several times and it won't adversely affect your strike power.

Really just sorta feels like a filler skill.

It will probably prevent planes from getting insta deleted on a strafe. Still don't want to get hit by one though. 

Even at T10 it would still be a good idea to try to keep planes alive, especially IJN CV's. 

[NG-NL]
Members
6,266 posts
10,102 battles

As I recall, empty bombers fly nearly as fast as fighters after dropping their ordinance. Still the case?

My impression is Evasive is the go-to for resisting ship AA while leaving, then order the bombers to location near your CV to undo the speed nerf, then finally order rearm. Sounds it'll make flight times a bit longer, which is a slight nerf to CV, but the 75% HP buff is an excellent choice for stopping AA knocking down so many planes.

It is kind of a pity WG did not simply flat-out plane HP, but this seems an acceptable medium. Taiho will get more battles if quick in-and-out means my planes are much hardier after dropping.

• Cool 1

Members
2,646 posts
4,301 battles

It will probably prevent planes from getting insta deleted on a strafe. Still don't want to get hit by one though. 

Even at T10 it would still be a good idea to try to keep planes alive, especially IJN CV's. 

Oh yes,  with the rearm time being so high if you can get your planes back alive then you need to.  A fully wiped out squadron is going to take longer to come back then a plane that comes back 30% slower.  As for surviving strafe,  I think this will allow USN planes to survive one with losses.  They really need to spread out strafe damage in the same manner as AA fire and have a cap on that.  But that is neither here nor there.
  • Cool 1

[NG-NL]
Members
6,266 posts
10,102 battles

Oh yes,  with the rearm time being so high if you can get your planes back alive then you need to.  A fully wiped out squadron is going to take longer to come back then a plane that comes back 30% slower.  As for surviving strafe,  I think this will allow USN planes to survive one with losses.  They really need to spread out strafe damage in the same manner as AA fire and have a cap on that.  But that is neither here nor there.

Only change strafe needs is to damage or temporarily disable AA, but people will complain about CV OP if a fighter strafe disables their AA and they're stuck trying to dodge and they can't shoot down any bombers.

[HINON]
Members
4,020 posts
4,800 battles

Only change strafe needs is to damage or temporarily disable AA, but people will complain about CV OP if a fighter strafe disables their AA and they're stuck trying to dodge and they can't shoot down any bombers.

Either that, or they could make Strafes be disabled by Defensive fire, and make Fighters not able to pursue aircraft in a DF field.

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
28,244 posts
24,663 battles

No, I'm willing to slow down my bombers at Tier VIII so that Iowa AA doesn't shred them as much on the return.

Your planes are flying slower and staying in that AA umbrella longer.  Non-IJN BBs Tier VIII+ can do a number on your planes, extra HP be damn*d.  Lord help your planes when it's also caught on the return in the AA range of something like DM, Neptune, Minotaur.
Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

Sign in to follow this