Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
ArIskandir

Advice request on Farragut's gameplay

13 comments in this topic

[SALVO]
Members
5,220 posts
4,504 battles

Greetings,

I'm sucking very badly with this ship, I just can't click on how to play it. First tried as a Nick-like dogfighter but I feel her too fat on the wheel to reliably dodge torps at short range, too slow to run away, too big to avoid being hit at close range or trying to go black. I just lack the survability to go close range, I don't know if it is I've the bad luck of constantly running into people that knows how to shoot, but anything closer than 8 km and I'm taking a truckload of damage. Next tried a more "russian" approach to it, but I've found I'm not the rainbow kind of person, At 10km+ I can't reliably hit anything but BBs, and the shells have a high chance of just doing no dmg at all, also fires are very unreliable (not running DE). Unless I use torps, I find it hard to do more than 10-15k dmg on guns alone.

Some tips would be great, thank you. 

[SYN]
[SYN]
Alpha Tester, Beta Testers
30,523 posts
5,697 battles

Greetings,

I'm sucking very badly with this ship, I just can't click on how to play it. First tried as a Nick-like dogfighter but I feel her too fat on the wheel to reliably dodge torps at short range, too slow to run away, too big to avoid being hit at close range or trying to go black. I just lack the survability to go close range, I don't know if it is I've the bad luck of constantly running into people that knows how to shoot, but anything closer than 8 km and I'm taking a truckload of damage. Next tried a more "russian" approach to it, but I've found I'm not the rainbow kind of person, At 10km+ I can't reliably hit anything but BBs, and the shells have a high chance of just doing no dmg at all, also fires are very unreliable (not running DE). Unless I use torps, I find it hard to do more than 10-15k dmg on guns alone.

Some tips would be great, thank you. 

You get the B hull, rudder shift mod, BFT and you use your 5 guns to DPM everything to death at 6-7km. Or you can pull the orbital bombardment of BBs at max range.

But Farragut is actually an excellent knife fighter, just the A hull is too slow. B-C hulls are a lot faster on the rudder.

And if you think Farragut is slow, wait till you get the Mahan.

• Cool 1

[SALVO]
Members
5,220 posts
4,504 battles

You get the B hull, rudder shift mod, BFT and you use your 5 guns to DPM everything to death at 6-7km. Or you can pull the orbital bombardment of BBs at max range.

But Farragut is actually an excellent knife fighter, just the A hull is too slow. B-C hulls are a lot faster on the rudder.

And if you think Farragut is slow, wait till you get the Mahan.

Got B hull, rudder and BFT, and yeah DPM is monster but I end up getting a lot of punishment form the rest of enemy team. Avoiding torps usually means draining speed, so I get more punishment from red fire. By now I'm very reluctant to go into cap contest early in game. How do you plan your match with this guy? Thank you

[-KIA-]
Banned
9,382 posts
21,035 battles

Don't be firing at enemy ships from max range.  That's a Soviet DD's job, and despite your RoF your arcs suck too much for you to keep up.  Stay around islands in the no-man's-land between the two fleets and as much towards the middle as possible: this allows you to control battlefield visibility while at the same time putting you in a position where you can quickly shift to ambushing people brave/stupid enough to push.  By attacking at close range where your DPM and torpedoes will overwhelm them, you also have the best chance at taking them down.  Fire at any chance you get, but don't attack any targets that aren't already shooting at someone else or have gotten in your spotting range, otherwise there will be retribution.

If people insist on shooting at a maneuvering DD, use your smoke and fire from within it - do not stand still or stay on the same heading within the smoke, as there are players smart enough to guess your movements, as long as they remain linear.  Equip the premium version of the consumable: with it, you have 30 seconds minimum between when your smoke disappears and when you can lay a new batch, which is hilariously broken.  4 smokescreens also gives you a lot more options in the endgame where DDs can singlehandedly turn the tide.

Edited by TenguBlade
  • Cool 1

[HINON]
Privateers, In AlfaTesters
7,775 posts
2,137 battles

Get B-hull, get close to stuff, ambush, and generally kill the crap out of everything.

I love mine, have yet to move on to Mahan because I don't want to say good-bye.

All you need with this thing is BFT, LS, and SI.

If you've got those skills, you're set

• Cool 1

[SALVO]
Members
5,220 posts
4,504 battles

Stay around islands in the no-man's-land between the two fleets and as much towards the middle as possible: this allows you to control battlefield visibility while at the same time putting you in a position where you can quickly shift to ambushing people brave/stupid enough to push.  By attacking at close range where your DPM and torpedoes will overwhelm them, you also have the best chance at taking them down.  Fire at any chance you get, but don't attack any targets that aren't already shooting at someone else or have gotten in your spotting range, otherwise there will be retribution.

I'll try deploying in this way, ty

[UDEAD]
-Members-
417 posts
14,069 battles

I tend to use this like a gun boat in the 8-11 km range (depending on what I am engaging) and harass larger ships... try not to be the centre of attention (only engage when heavier targets are around or your have the element of surprise), wiggle alot and light as many fires as possible with a bit of AP thrown in at the superstructures of heavy targets that are basically flat broadside. If you start to draw attention, stop firing turn tail and run until your not detected. Rinse and repeat as needed.

The torpedoes are too short ranged to allow for stealth torping so to employ them you going to have to set-up island ambushes for heavy targets. Cant help much with that but you usually want to wait until the heavy enters your arc, drop a spread slightly and head and largely behind the lead indicator, throttle to max and run like stink so you don't eat heavy shells.

As for knife fighting with other DDs... do try and get all your guns on target or your make yourself easy food for torps. Personally I usually only use my bow guns until i know where their torp spread is going or if they have been launched at another target already. Usually I am aiming for their rudder/prop to knock the module out and then I take advantage for the few seconds (or more) that I have while they are hitting their repair/panicking to beat on them.

I found DD play to be a bit of a tricky skill (I like to think I have the hang of it...). Keep at it... you'll get there. The rest of the USN line is glorious. 

Good hunting :honoring:

Edited by Xenostryker
  • Cool 1

Members
16 posts
42 battles

Check MM. Does enemy have a IJN DD? (i.e. you'll be spotted first), How many of them are there?

Get caps at the beginning of match. No enemy DD contesting? Good for you. If there's one, and they have better concealment (again, which means they are IJN and has bad guns), use engine boost and close range with him, and hammer. him with DPM. Keep shifting rudder irregularly but stay bow-on with enemy destroyer so you can dodge enemy torps rather easily.

Mid to late game, get a good spot, deploy smoke, and spam HE on nearby enemy capital ships and burn the crap out of them. Keep in mind USN DDs' gun have high trajectory which allows you to shoot over island.

• Cool 1

[RLGN]
Members
14,868 posts
26,411 battles

Generally have done well with Farragut, also the highest tier USN DD that's been worth a dang for me.. (Mahan was meh... everything higher has sucked, with Fletcher being a situational exception.)

Try to cap early, but stink at knife-fighting, and tend to pull out if I can't ambush an enemy DD. After that concentrate on spotting, area denial and trying to force broadsides, and torpedo ambushes; with capping/re-capping coming as the herd thins.

Edited by Estimated_Prophet

[SALVO]
Members
5,220 posts
4,504 battles

As for knife fighting with other DDs... do try and get all your guns on target or your make yourself easy food for torps. Personally I usually only use my bow guns until i know where their torp spread is going or if they have been launched at another target already. Usually I am aiming for their rudder/prop to knock the module out and then I take advantage for the few seconds (or more) that I have while they are hitting their repair/panicking to beat on them.

Keep shifting rudder irregularly but stay bow-on with enemy destroyer so you can dodge enemy torps rather easily.

very good tips for knife fighting, I'll try it.

Thank you all for your input, I just ran out of +1, doesn't mean I'm not reading the posts

Members
557 posts

Get B-hull, get close to stuff, ambush, and generally kill the crap out of everything.

I love mine, have yet to move on to Mahan because I don't want to say good-bye.

All you need with this thing is BFT, LS, and SI.

If you've got those skills, you're set

You WILL want to move on. If you like the Farragut, you will be head-over-heels for the Benson.

I did not do well in the Farragut because, like the OP, I did not know how to play her. Requires a more experienced hand than the Clemson and Nicolas, as your opponents are generally stronger against you at tier VI.

DId fine in the Mahan. Not a great ship, but still good enough to make a difference in battle.

Generally have done well with Farragut, also the highest tier USN DD that's been worth a dang for me.. (Mahan was meh... everything higher has sucked, with Fletcher being a situational exception.)

But the Benson. Oh my! There is a reason the Benson is used in ranked and competitive play. The Benson is a wreaking ball when fighting for caps. With upgraded torps with 9.2 km range, well, you do the math. She is stealth torping machine that even IJN dd's envy.

I recently got the Benson and am loving the ever-loving bejebus out of it. Guns. Torps. Maneuverability. Survivability. She wants for nothing. Even in tier X matches I feel I am a threat.

And the Fletcher is arguably THE best tier IX dd, better then the Gearing at tier X.

OP, watch some vids on Farragut play and you get better. I did and reached rank 15 last season only dropping 3 games along the way using the Farragut exclusively.

Good luck and fair seas. 

[WOLF4]
Members
895 posts
12,330 battles

The Farragut  is a cap contesting gun-boat - and should be played that way.

Early game - grab your team a cap in domination - or scout a flank in standard battle.  Engage red DDs - T6 is generally where you should be working on the knife fighting skills that will stand you in good stead in the higher tier US DDs.

Don't worry about the knife fights you lose - you are working on the skill - keep engaging those red DDs and you will get better and better at it.

Once you have your cap secure - its time to harvest the damage.

Work out the maximum range you are comfortable with engaging cruisers and battleships - and get stuck in.

Be sure to take the DE skill as soon as you can.  It will substantially increase the amount of damage the Farragut is capable of putting out - and that has a very direct impact on your team's likelihood of winning the match - and is by far the most useful fourth level captain's skill available (in the current skill system).

Doubt it?

Witness the Farragut lighting 26 fires in a ranked match.

Witness it!

Kidding aside - play the Farragut as you would any other US DD - scout, cap, knife fight, and light fires on BBs.

[RLGN]
Members
14,868 posts
26,411 battles

But the Benson. Oh my! There is a reason the Benson is used in ranked and competitive play. The Benson is a wreaking ball when fighting for caps. With upgraded torps with 9.2 km range, well, you do the math. She is stealth torping machine that even IJN dd's envy.

Whatever else it has been for others, Benson has been a collosal disappointment for me, no matter how I play it. (20% WR worst of all my DDs.) I've done statistically better in Farragut; and for tier 8, in Akizuki, which is bizzare; because Akizuki turns like a paniced cow, and only has one torpedo rack. Actually beat a Gearing in a gunfight with it. Do so with a Benson? Nope; wouldn't happen.

Sign in to follow this