Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
SireneRacker

Manipulating the MM - is it possible?

18 comments in this topic

[WG-CC]
Privateers, Members
9,091 posts
7,978 battles

I have a hypothetical situation (or even two) and I would like to know if they would work out:

Situation A:

I sail in my Kami R and a friend of mine uses a Hosho and of course we form up a Division. Now we enter the queue. Is it now impossible for me to face T6 ships? In theory the Hosho needs a counterpart, or a T4 CV if you want it that way, and thereby it will have to face another T4 CV. With that other CV that should not get affected by a fail platoon we would have to get into a T4-5 match. Does it work out that way?

Situation B:

Same as A, but now I sail my (not existent yet) Graf Spee and my friend takes a Zuiho. Will I never face T8 that way?

The Sirene

[HINON]
Members
13,716 posts

Nope, it will drag a low tier carrier to match your division mate but you can still see T6 ships.

[SALVO]
Members
5,257 posts
4,510 battles

As far as I've understood, unless you face another fail platoon like yours (and it wouldn't be so bad cuz = tier CV) you pretty much can get away with murder.

[SALVO]
Members
5,257 posts
4,510 battles

Nope, it will drag a low tier carrier to match your division mate but you can still see T6 ships.

As far as I understand, that other carrier can't be dragged outside its regular MM tiering.

Beta Testers
2,029 posts

Everything I'm seeing supports this.  Kind of unfortunate that some poor guy gets screwed over for a match, but it beats the alternative.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
27,119 posts
14,728 battles

Everything I'm seeing supports this.  Kind of unfortunate that some poor guy gets screwed over for a match, but it beats the alternative.

Actually since CV's are not under the five minute rule you would be waiting for another fail division with a tier 4 CV.

[WG-CC]
Privateers, Members
9,091 posts
7,978 battles

If you want to see if this is true, why not actually try it out?

Do you have a T4 CV? If yes then let's do it

[YIKES]
WoWS Community Contributors, In AlfaTesters
1,090 posts
20,776 battles

I've used this multiple times, actually. Can confirm it does work. Unless you find another division trying the same thing, MM will always match your CV divmate with an equal tier CV, and normal MM rules apply to them if they aren't also in a division - therefore ensuring that you will be top tier.

[90THD]
Beta Testers
145 posts
2,176 battles

If you division with a 1 tier spread like V + IV you will potentially pull the IV into a tier VII match.. Match maker works off the division members highest tier not the ship class your playing.

[SALVO]
Members
5,257 posts
4,510 battles

I've used this multiple times, actually. Can confirm it does work. Unless you find another division trying the same thing, MM will always match your CV divmate with an equal tier CV, and normal MM rules apply to them if they aren't also in a division - therefore ensuring that you will be top tier.

lol, I'm looking for a Zuiho captain for rent.

[YIKES]
WoWS Community Contributors, In AlfaTesters
1,090 posts
20,776 battles

If you division with a 1 tier spread like V + IV you will potentially pull the IV into a tier VII match.. Match maker works off the division members highest tier not the ship class your playing.

The whole point of this is that CVs must be matched with an equal tier CV. If there isn't another division trying the same thing in queue, then MM will have to match your division with an equal-tier carrier - one tier lower than your other ships, essentially ensuring preferential matchmaking.

[SWOLF]
Beta Testers
791 posts
7,620 battles

CV's are the exception to this rule, unless you run into another fail div when you are using t4 CV no matter what u bring you can only see a t4 CV, been doing it for months cause some of my freinds only had T4 for a long time.

[GWG]
Members
7,215 posts
13,981 battles

If you do this in Co-Op..  You will be EXTERMINATED.

After your Kamikaze R gets nuked by super-accurate bot gunfire, your team will be wiped out by the bot Kamikaze R.

Your long-range torpedoes will be ineffective.  You will need to get within VMF DD torp range to score any hits.

But yes, the Hosho will do OK.

Random is another story.  The enemy CV will be able to scout you out and light you up.  One press of their F3 button and the shells will rain down like... rain.

Maybe you'd do better divisioning up with a cruiser to a CV so you can clobber attacking DDs and shoot down planes.

[-K-]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,300 posts
9,645 battles

I sail in my Kami R and a friend of mine uses a Hosho and of course we form up a Division. Now we enter the queue. Is it now impossible for me to face T6 ships? In theory the Hosho needs a counterpart, or a T4 CV if you want it that way, and thereby it will have to face another T4 CV. With that other CV that should not get affected by a fail platoon we would have to get into a T4-5 match. Does it work out that way?

Situation B:

Same as A, but now I sail my (not existent yet) Graf Spee and my friend takes a Zuiho. Will I never face T8 that way?

The Sirene

Both hypotheticals seems reasonable. Unless there is a mirror fail platoon on the other side, you should not end up as bottom tier.

Members
104 posts
2,032 battles

I have a hypothetical situation (or even two) and I would like to know if they would work out:

Situation A:

Situation B:

The Sirene

A buddy and I have tested situation A and it seems to work perfectly. Going off of that, it seems perfectly reasonable that Situation B would work as well.

lol, I'm looking for a Zuiho captain for rent.

Why would you willingly play the Zuiho?

[WG-CC]
Privateers, Members
9,091 posts
7,978 battles

I would play the Zuiho if my friend returns the offer. A win-win situation.

[SALVO]
Members
5,257 posts
4,510 battles

I wouldn't hence the offer to pay (joke)

Sign in to follow this