Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Hunter_Steel

Pubbie Behavior on Fault Line

29 comments in this topic

[-ARP-]
[-ARP-]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,178 posts
4,376 battles

Sometimes I see things that completely irk me when I play this map.

eKZ9zxC.jpg

This is especially true on Domination.

What irks me the most on this map, is when I see Battleships charging C cap. And not just on my team, but the enemy team too. I affectionately call this place Torpedo alley. Then there are times when teams completely abandon A to go ahead and be pounded at C and B, only to lose.

In the image I showed how team deployments generally go. Usually when I at least tell some to go to A cap, especially if I am in a Battleship. What usually happens when I see the map collapse for a team, is that A gets overtaken by superior firepower, while B and C are being occupied. Then the now isolated B cap has the chance of being surrounded, only to be murdered by forces that broke off from the main force that usually heads for C cap.

On a personal note, I really hate C cap on this map if I am not in a DD, and a torpedo DD at that. That space is just too small, and if you are cornered here, you can easily find yourself being pounded in there, as if you were using an old fashioned grain crusher to make some flour. Can you imagine how a Battleship should try to survive if my team or the enemy team were to setup a proper torpedo ambush in there? And if you're one of two Battleships, you are depriving your team of half their total Battleship firepower. This would mean that if the enemy team sent two Battleships to A cap, while your ally is sailing there, it is likely he'll be outgunned but he can still win.

So in effect, I usually try to push our Battleships to A and B cap. Because B cap is a good place for slow Battleships like USN and stock German BBs to go. I usually trundle my Nagato through A cap though. Except one time I scored 100k damage by holding off an enemy advance at A cap; My secondaries had never fired so much before :D

Proved to people why you NEVER underestimate Nagato's 16s or her authority at Tier 7.

Anyone else think similarly?

~Hunter

• Cool 1

[HYD]
Members
7,105 posts
5,289 battles

That strait used to be a lot smaller, and back when it was, it was a inaccessible by BBs. But now that it's been widened, I feel fairly comfortable with going in there with a BB, because there's enough room to turn around. It probably isn't the BEST place for a BB, but i still think it's a viable choice to go there, especially if you have spawned on that side of the map. 

Members
707 posts
4,742 battles

I like to go C in my British cruisers if I have a DD or two to support. Having a BB who can get into position at D9 quickly enough to support our push is nice to have so they can delete any cruisers we run into. Once we've capped, the BB can turn and focus on B instead of pushing into C with us.

I think BB's like to go A so that they have cover, moving into B leaves you terribly exposed to enemies who have islands they can hide behind. The alternative is to camp behind B, which is useless if you don't have a friendly DD inside B spotting for you.

Members
5,202 posts
3,461 battles

Had a game there a few days ago where 2 BB decided to "hide" at the southern tip of the large island at C and our other 3 BB did the same ambush style wait behind the circle island south of B.

With our BB taking both their DPS and HP/Armour out of the fight we got rolled bad.

How do people just not see this as being poor play?

[POP]
Members
1,294 posts
10,144 battles

I've had generally good success taking BBs into the slot at C. IF (and only if) I have some kind of backup. Usually a cruiser or two.

I won't do it if there are a lot of DDs on the other team, because it is very dangerous. But, like the OP, most of the time no BBs go that route and a single BB with a cruiser against a couple of cruisers means overwhelming superiority. The plan is to crush that flank, then roll them up from the side.

I've done it from both south and north sides. 

Again, it's highly situational and you have to judge when it's a viable option. But it is a viable option. 

Alpha Tester
884 posts
3,403 battles

I agree that most BB's have no business being at C for most of the reasons you stated, plus they are cut off from the rest of the map.

This is especially true of mid tier USN BB's as it takes them forever to clear those islands.

There are some exceptions though.

A BB at C can be useful since most tend to stay away from it.

I'll take something fast like the Dunkerque or Scharnhorst to C as they are quite good at deleting CA's and have the speed to get out from behind those islands quickly and get back into battle.

That said, they should not be there alone. CA & DD support needs to be there as well.

Members
1,091 posts
4,681 battles

I, personally, cannot fathom why people flock to C. 

• If you run into a superior force, it's difficult to get away
  • Even if you don't run into a superior force, a single enemy destroyer can make capping difficult. It's too high risk for too little gain.
  • Even if you manage to cap it, you're isolated from the rest of the team. The average pub player doesn't have the courage to steer directly to B from C. Instead, they tend to take the long way around, keeping their guns out of the fight for even longer periods of time.

I would have thought that C was an obvious choice of last resort. Instead, I've seen more than one pub player express a preference for going to C. I just don't get it.

[-ARP-]
[-ARP-]
4,178 posts
4,376 battles

I'm not shy of taking Nagato or Scharnhorst into there, their secondaries eat things quickly. But I don't usually do it, mostly only when I spawn on the C side of the map.

However, even then, I'm more likely to take them to A cap. There have been times when I was able to save A from falling by going there. If I see I'm not needed, I head into B cap.

~Hunter

Members, Beta Testers
1,591 posts
2,659 battles

At least Fault Line forces them to funnel towards the objectives.  Try Hot Spot Domination Mode and watch as players ignore the capture points in order to fight protracted pointless battles and die on the 1 and 10 lines.

If I had an in game credit for every skipper that insists on not fighting the objectives on Hot Spot I could buy an entire tech tree line.

1nzjg9.jpg

[-ARP-]
[-ARP-]
4,178 posts
4,376 battles

At least Fault Line forces them to funnel towards the objectives.  Try Hot Spot Domination Mode and watch as players ignore the capture points in order to fight protracted pointless battles and die on the 1 and 10 lines.

If I had an in game credit for every skipper that insists on not fighting the objectives on Hot Spot I could buy an entire tech tree line.

1nzjg9.jpg

Don't remind me about Hotspot. That map's been cancerous since it was added to the game, and I remember this apocalyptic event.

~Hunter

[NEIN]
Beta Testers
583 posts
7,092 battles

C on this map can be easily defended by a few threatening DD's, and can simply create a stalling action there holding up half your fleet.  Either that, or I see BBs, and half your fleet go C, and then just take the scenic route while the other half is dying to 3/4 of the enemy team.  It takes too long to travel the route from your cap to C, to their cap, which is the unfortunate trip people tend to make regardless of the situation at hand.

The other issue with C, even if your team decides to go straight to B from it; the movement is easily predictable, and units come out one at a time stretching out the battle line making it more vulnerable to concentrated fire.

[RLGN]
Members
14,949 posts
26,483 battles

C cap on Hotspot can straight up go to :red_button:

I don't much care if destroyers need to fight for it or not, every time I go in there I die, so screw that place.

Fighting on the 1 and 10 lines? Won't go in the middle of the maps? Isn't called 'Evey time I do I get blown to hell' trauma?

Wargamming and some players can want people to charge and fight for the middle of maps all the want; (Shards being one example of that,) but when for most that means nothing more that a quick trip back to port; why would anyone but a complete idiot keep doing that?

It doesn't matter if the same thing happens in an outside cap; the perception is that they have at least 'some' cover, and so that choice is better.

Most annoying thing I personally witnessed recently was nearly all the heavy cruisers and battleships on both teams flocking to C cap on Warrior's Path, and all camping there like idiots, blasting away at each othe like a bunch of Heavy Tanks at a corner in WoT; while a few other ships contested A and B and decided the game.

240px-Warrior%27s_Path.png

[SALVO]
Members
5,354 posts
4,575 battles

I only think about going C in a BB if there are 4+ BBs per team and I'm riding a fast BB. If you take C quickly, you can push beyond and have some nice cross fire over B.

Retired WoWS Community Contributors
151 posts
10,259 battles

I love this map and charging C cause action abounds!!!  

I don't mind taking my BB into C as the enemy, especially DD's, are well within my anti-DD range in a BB.  I love taking my Warspite in there especially as she's kitted out for secondaries.  :playing:

I do agree that BB's can and often do park/hide there a lot....  but the CQB in C is outstanding!

All-in-all, I love this map :great:

[-KIA-]
Banned
9,382 posts
21,098 battles

Whenever I'm in a T6+ BB on this map, I just bow-tank at the entrance to torpedo alley on C.  So many people expose themselves to try and get free damage on me, and instead get stomped by allied CAs and DDs who are hiding like cowards lurking behind cover. Once they're dead, roll into C unopposed and clean house.  It's so stupidly effective that I'm stumped as to how.

• Cool 1

[SALVO]
Members
5,354 posts
4,575 battles

Whenever I'm in a T6+ BB on this map, I just bow-tank at the entrance to torpedo alley on C.  So many people expose themselves to try and get free damage on me, and instead get stomped by allied CAs and DDs who are hiding like cowards lurking behind cover. Once they're dead, roll into C unopposed and clean house.  It's so stupidly effective that I'm stumped as to how.

nice tip

[O7]
Alpha Tester, Alpha Tester
11,905 posts
8,745 battles

My buddy and I like taking torpedo alley however we almost never spawn over there. The games that we do are always rofl stomps though because who expects a strong push with lots of momentum coming out of C? You kill off the 1-2 CAs that drive in and whatever DDs and then its normally a clean shot into the enemy spawn and any slow BBs that may have been left behind or a CV that thinks its an airfield. 

[UDEAD]
Beta Testers
994 posts
12,366 battles

C on fault line in general is a terrible cap to take becase taking it doesn't give you any control over the rest of the map. All the pathways leading out of C is a bottle neck.  So as long as a team that is concentrating on A-B doesn't go full potateo, anyone coming out of C will come out in piecemeal and get hammered. A is a much better cap to take because it gives you sight lines to B and better sight lines to both north and south spawns. 

This is the same reason why D cap is worthless on the map North. 

160px-North.png

Edited by NCC81701

[NEIN]
Beta Testers
583 posts
7,092 battles

C on fault line in general is a terrible cap to take becase taking it doesn't give you any control over the rest of the map. All the pathways leading out of C is a bottle neck, so as long as a team that is concentrating on A-B doesn't go full potate anyone coming out of C will come out in piecemeal and get hammered. A is a much better cap to take because it gives you sight lines to B and better sightlines to both north and south spawns. 

This is the same reason why D cap is worthless on the map North. 

Agreed, any map where BB's go to a location where their LOS is limited by tall mountains, and they have the potential to get stymied due to confined waters; I avoid like the plague.  What good are you doing if you cannot provide fire support, take half the game to get there, and have a less than stellar chance of leaving in a timely manner?

[-_W_-]
Members
1,089 posts
2,418 battles

C is basically my favorite spot for Fault Line. It gives me a very clear direction to go that isn't likely to leave me facing ridiculous numbers of enemies, provides a clear advantage to my team by taking a cap relatively early, and also tends to be the most fun. Torpedo alley is best alley, especially when it's your torpedoes.

I mean, sure, if I'm in Fusou, I won't bother; I'd never get there in time. But in a cruiser? AHEAD FULL LET'S DO THIS.

Members
104 posts
2,032 battles

Having BBs and CAs hit C can work if you have them watch columns 6 through 8 to guard the area around the point while DDs and very specific CLs actually contest the cap. Assuming you take it, you're in a very good position to take B, which is usually suicidal for anything other than a DD to try and push otherwise.

Really, one of the map's biggest flaws is that the optimal choice for BBs is point A, so that's where everyone goes. B should really have some extra cover to keep it from being a no man's land.

Beta Testers
5,082 posts
5,575 battles

Fault Line makes it quite obvious where to go and not to go as a given ship type. I think people learn quickly enough that most matches revolve around A and reflexively go there for the initial brawl. The smart ones then opportunistically charge B while others may choose to flank the enemy rear. As far as team tactics go, this one is difficult enough to screw up that I don't see it happen very often.

[-KIA-]
Banned
9,382 posts
21,098 battles

nice tip

Well the caveat is that there's enough people to push the cap so that their deaths can offset whatever happens on the other side of the map.  The problem is that it doesn't always work that way, especially if an enemy DD nabs B.

[5IN]
Members
1,371 posts
28,999 battles

fault line is all about the flanks. Win the flanks win the game. A and C caps are equally vital, almost. Getting those allows unrestricted access behind the reds for flank shots to any position. C is arguably more vital that A because it's harder to access and once it's gained is very unlikely to be lost due to how long a ship has to take themselves away from the fight to to take it away.

B is pointless. even later in the match going for that cap is an invitation to deletion. When the match is well under way B is surrounded by everyone who is now morelikely to be in a better defensive position than at spawn periods early. DDs will help their teams far more smoking and screening the flanks killing ships than what little points u could get from B cap. Those DDs can also completely neuter the reds from gaining the flank caps as well. 

With a CV in the match B cap is suicide. Nobody can help u with AA cuz they will just die going centre and if DDs smoke to evade DBs, red DDs can waltz in for blind torps all the while the flanks have less torps and smoke to win those arenas.

It's a good map for the tiers that see it. It's a chess match or a rugby game depending but its an easy loss if u make the single biggest mistake just like neighbors with going A cap. There are no lock wins in this game but there are a handful of near cemented losses unless the reds are terribad or playa's carry super hard.

Sign in to follow this