Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
jetda

manual fire control for AA

20 comments in this topic

[7TH]
Beta Testers
3 posts
3,143 battles

I couldn't find any definite answers, but my question is this. If i get this on my battleship will my secondary artillery fire as an AA weapon, thus increasing my AA damage and survivability? I'v never seen my 128mm guns on my Gneisenau fire at enemy aircraft will that ability point make it so they will if i manually target a plane group?

Members
5,417 posts
3,213 battles

Secondary guns only animate when firing on ships, rest assured they are working. The secondary guns have an AA aura, just like every other AA gun. So as soon as planes come in range, they start taking DPS, though the guns don't animate.

But manual AA only works for the higher caliber AA guns. I wouldn't recommend it on German BBs, since full secondary build is indisputably the meta build.

Edited by goldeagle1123
  • Cool 3

[BEARS]
[BEARS]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,191 posts
12,704 battles

If your secondary guns are Dual Purpose and so show up under the AA tab , then they shoot at enemy planes with-in their range . The graphics for AAA fire are not that specific as to show which guns are firing . Also the DP guns will fire at planes and ships at the same time . Manual AA will just increase the amount of DPM of the guns it effects when you click on and select a target .

This is my understanding of how it works .   :honoring:

EDIT : ninja'd

Edited by Chien_Lu_Anderman

Beta Testers
1,451 posts
10,822 battles

As far as I know, MFCAA only applies to EXISTING AA guns. Some secondary guns and main battery guns are dual-purpose, some are not.

If the secondary guns in question are not listed as AA guns in your ship statistics, they won't suddenly become AA guns when you use MFCAA as far as I know. 

From the Wiki:

"+100% to average damage per second of AA guns with a caliber exceeding 85mm against a designated target."

"This doesn't mean manual aim. It improves the damage per second of AA guns larger than 85 mm, but requires the player to manually select a target by holding down CTRL and left-clicking on it. With this skill, AA larger than 85 mm will not fire at all without manual target selection. AA of 85 mm or less will operate normally, and without this accuracy bonus. In practice, this means the player controls the dual-purpose guns."

• Cool 2

[7TH]
Beta Testers
3 posts
3,143 battles

thank you all for the calrification

• Cool 1

[BEARS]
[BEARS]
4,191 posts
12,704 battles

AA larger than 85 mm will not fire at all without manual target selection

^^^^^  I doubt this is true as the DP main guns of my Atlanta will fire when an enemy plane gets in range (this is the only ship I have manual AA skill for the Captain) .

As far as I know, MFCAA only applies to EXISTING AA guns. Some secondary guns and main battery guns are dual-purpose, some are not. If they secondary guns in question are not listed as AA guns on your ship statistics, they won't suddenly beomce AA guns when you use MFCAA as far as I know.

From the Wiki:

"+100% to average damage per second of AA guns with a caliber exceeding 85mm against a designated target."

"This doesn't mean manual aim. It improves the damage per second of AA guns larger than 85 mm, but requires the player to manually select a target by holding down CTRL and left-clicking on it. With this skill, AA larger than 85 mm will not fire at all without manual target selection. AA of 85 mm or less will operate normally, and without this accuracy bonus. In practice, this means the player controls the dual-purpose guns."

[-FBS-]
Members
2,646 posts
4,290 battles

Secondary guns only animate when firing on ships, rest assured they are working. The secondary guns have an AA aura, just like every other AA gun. So as soon as planes come in range, they start taking DPS, though the guns don't animate.

But manual AA only works for the higher caliber AA guns. I wouldn't recommend it on German BBs, since full secondary build is indisputably the meta build.

While Secondary Builds are very good on German BB's, German BB's benefit the most from the Manual AA skill since most of their AA is in the 85mm+ range.

[-FBS-]
Members
2,646 posts
4,290 battles

As far as I know, MFCAA only applies to EXISTING AA guns. Some secondary guns and main battery guns are dual-purpose, some are not.

If the secondary guns in question are not listed as AA guns in your ship statistics, they won't suddenly become AA guns when you use MFCAA as far as I know. 

From the Wiki:

^^^^^  I doubt this is true as the DP main guns of my Atlanta will fire when an enemy plane gets in range (this is the only ship I have manual AA skill for the Captain) .

Manual AA still fires without a target selected.

Unlike manual secondaries.

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
1,451 posts
10,822 battles

Not totally rebutting this, because it does bring up valid doubt on the subject. The excerpt I posted was taken directly from the wiki. I'm at work atm, so I can't test this in a training room. I do know, however, that with manual secondaries, they will not fire unless you have selected a target with control+click. I'm not sure why it would be any different with AA. Again, unless the wiki is outright wrong, more testing is required to confirm/deny. 

[BEARS]
[BEARS]
4,191 posts
12,704 battles

Not totally rebutting this, because it does bring up valid doubt on the subject. The excerpt I posted was taken directly from the wiki. I'm at work atm, so I can't test this in a training room. I do know, however, that with manual secondaries, they will not fire unless you have selected a target with control+click. I'm not sure why it would be any different with AA. Again, unless the wiki is outright wrong, more testing is required to confirm/deny.

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
3,985 posts
2,106 battles

That's what I thought as well, since the in-game description doesn't suggest otherwise.

If no one else can confirm it in the next 9 hours or so, my AA spec'd Montana will be visiting some Hosho's in a training room after work.  Won't Ctrl+click any planes, and if any of them disappear while still in the outermost AA ring of the minimap, we'll know the wiki needs to be edited.

Beta Testers
1,451 posts
10,822 battles

:)      :honoring:

I only use manual AA on perhaps 2 builds and play neither of those ships very often so thanks for the clarification @saagri.

Looks like somebody needs to fix that Wiki! The last thing we need is more bad information floating around, there's enough of that on the forums. :teethhappy:

edited: "secondaries" > "AA" (typo)

Edited by DOCTOR_CITADEL
  • Cool 1

[-FBS-]
Members
2,646 posts
4,290 battles

Weird. I know it has to be wrong since I run Manual AA on Moskva and I shoot down planes at 8km without selecting targets. 

Ran Manual AA on Akizuki as well and hear the guns go off too. 

Edited by saagri

[HINON]
Members
13,717 posts

I only use manual AA on perhaps 2 builds and play neither of ships very often so thanks for the clarification @saagri.

Looks like somebody needs to fix that Wiki! The last thing we need is more bad information floating around, there's enough of that on the forums. :teethhappy:

edited: "secondaries" > "AA" (typo)

Yeah this has been brought up a couple times in the last few months as others have noticed the error. I guess the wiki people havent gotten to it yet.

[HYD]
Members
7,105 posts
5,289 battles

I couldn't find any definite answers, but my question is this. If i get this on my battleship will my secondary artillery fire as an AA weapon, thus increasing my AA damage and survivability? I'v never seen my 128mm guns on my Gneisenau fire at enemy aircraft will that ability point make it so they will if i manually target a plane group?

As people have said already, yes, they will fire as they always have, and the damage will be doubled against selected aircraft. Also, MFCAA is a very good skill to take on the Gneisenau because its DP guns have a nice DPS and range. 

This is true as of now, but with 0.6.0, you can take a 4x3 build to take BOTH MFCSA and MFCAA (if you have a 18 point captain). This is what I'm going to be taking on my Gneisenau. 

Edited by Aduial

Beta Testers
63 posts
1,596 battles

While Secondary Builds are very good on German BB's, German BB's benefit the most from the Manual AA skill since most of their AA is in the 85mm+ range.

Though I won't argue that point, the requirement for AA is less than the use of your Secondaries. If you do a full dedicated Secondary build, you'll be hitting targets 10-11-12kms out on the tier 10 German BB.

I remember sailing beside a Bismarck once and racking up 70k Secondary damage alone.  

Beta Testers
1,451 posts
10,822 battles

Though I won't argue that point, the requirement for AA is less than the use of your Secondaries. If you do a full dedicated Secondary build, you'll be hitting targets 10-11-12kms out on the tier 10 German BB.

I remember sailing beside a Bismarck once and racking up 70k Secondary damage alone.  

10.6 km is the furthest you can get secondaries out to. 12 km would be fun, but broken. 

Sign in to follow this