Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
BIuelce

Lo Yang Vs. Benson for T8 ranked.

Which Ship For T8 Ranked?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Benson or Lo Yang?

25 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
3 posts
2,047 battles

I am almost to the Fletcher and i was wondering if i should keep then Benson for T8 ranked if i have the Lo Yang.

Beta Testers
5,082 posts
5,575 battles

The extra turret and the possibility to mount a 15+ pt captain tips the scales in Benson's favor. Hydro is good but ultimately situational.

[HYD]
Members
7,105 posts
5,289 battles

Benson has one more gun, more HP, and better torps. All Lo Yang has is extremely short ranged hydro. 

I haven't played the Lo Yang though, so maybe she's not as bad as she looks. 

Beta Testers
5,082 posts
5,575 battles

Benson has one more gun, more HP, and better torps. All Lo Yang has is extremely short ranged hydro. 

She's exactly what she looks like. Good but not as good as Benson.

[HYD]
Members
7,105 posts
5,289 battles

I recently got Lo Yang, she's pretty good. But I don't see how she could be more competitive than the Benson.

Lo Yang's Hydro probably needs a buff. 
  • Cool 1

[INTEL]
[INTEL]
Members
7,680 posts
35,905 battles

Lo Yang is a good ship. I used it with good results in Ranked. That said, Benson's extra gun is a better choice.

[DOW]
[DOW]
Members
988 posts
33,424 battles

I like my Lo Yang but her hydro is mostly defensive; if you try to bum rush a smoke and they have any back up, as in ranked for example, you will be 86-ed quickly. While CE would greatly help with the detection to hydro range (5.8-3.5 vs 6.4-3.5) buffer that is at the core of Lo Yang tactics, her hydro has gotten me killed as often as not. If you have terrain that allows you to absolutely ambush a DD then it becomes a real strength, but with the number of ships having beyond visual sensors multiplying, Lo Yang offensive hydro use is extremely risky.

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
6,725 posts
12,933 battles

5 gun Benson is the wrong option IMHO. The 5-guns rudder shift will screw you until you take the C-hull so you can dodge torpedoes and gunfire.

[RG]
Members
2,894 posts
7,198 battles

Whaaat? The rudder shift in Benson is just fine. I've got both, use Benson in Ranked.

• Cool 1

[D2P]
Members
2,293 posts
6,976 battles

Lo Yangs roll will be taken by the T8 german DD - which has much better sonar. - better torps - better HP - It will be the go to DD in ranked next seasons. As far as last season - Benson and lo yangs dominated the scene.

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
6,725 posts
12,933 battles

Whaaat? The rudder shift in Benson is just fine. I've got both, use Benson in Ranked.

2.7 second vs 4.0 second rudder shift is not an insignificant diffrence. My winrate went up when I made the switch.

[ANZ4C]
Alpha Tester
325 posts
7,593 battles

Lo Yang is more manouverable than most Bensons due to being a C hull, however her hydro has lost its niche thanks to the KM DDs. I have had no issues obliterating them in t8 ranked (I use a Benson B Hull), though I lose less health than when fighting another Benson. She can be a much safer ship to play though, as her hydro can spot torpedoes quicker - something of great benefit in ranked when you or your teammates are hiding in smoke.

I would say the answer to which you should play depends on these questions:

1. ​Do you prefer playing an offensive DD, aggresively pushing caps and hunting enemy ships? -> Get Benson
  2. Do you play a support DD, smoking allied ships and spotting for them? Shooting from smoke when opportunities present themselves? -> Get Lo Yang

[RG]
Members
2,894 posts
7,198 battles

2.7 second vs 4.0 second rudder shift is not an insignificant diffrence. My winrate went up when I made the switch.As for the German T8 DD...

​Rudder shift isn't the end all be all. I didn't say 2.7 wasn't better than 4.0. But 4.0 is good enough, especially when you can lower it with upgrades. Your personal success while interesting is anecdotal and not conclusive. :unsure:.

As for the German T8...yes, it's got some things going for it, but it'll have to win that Cap knife fight before it gets to use all those abilities. Turret rotation and DPM matter most. If you don't survive the cap fight, the rest doesn't matter. A Benson/Lo Yang isn't going to hide in smoke against a German DD, so Hydro's not much help.

[RG]
Members
2,894 posts
7,198 battles

5 gun Benson is the wrong option IMHO. The 5-guns rudder shift will screw you until you take the C-hull so you can dodge torpedoes and gunfire.

​Excuse me...BBs with 11+ second rudder shifts can dodge torps. You aren't GOING TO dodge much gunfire in a cap fight (unless your opponent has been drinking or is completely new), which is why SE is important. As I said, your first job is to contest the cap. No cap, no win. Win that fight, survive to the end game. THAT is the recipe for success. The goal is to win. No bonus for lots of damage or style points.

[G0ATS]
Members
517 posts
9,131 battles

I don't even use the rudder shift mod on my benson, i use B hull and the acceleration mod, had a 65% winrate in ranked so i think that is good enough.

Btw do we know it will be T8 next season? Im thinking it could be T6 since they give out so many free T6 ships now.

[WOLF3]
Members
28,279 posts
24,681 battles

Lo Yang's hydro is the shortest range for any ship at high tier.  It's suicidally short.  You may as well zip in for proximity detection instead.

[D2P]
Members
2,293 posts
6,976 battles

​Rudder shift isn't the end all be all. I didn't say 2.7 wasn't better than 4.0. But 4.0 is good enough, especially when you can lower it with upgrades. Your personal success while interesting is anecdotal and not conclusive. :unsure:.

As for the German T8...yes, it's got some things going for it, but it'll have to win that Cap knife fight before it gets to use all those abilities. Turret rotation and DPM matter most. If you don't survive the cap fight, the rest doesn't matter. A Benson/Lo Yang isn't going to hide in smoke against a German DD, so Hydro's not much help.

The idea for hydro smoke combo is you don't lost the knife fight - because you can't (unless spotted by radar or sonar yourself). You take 0 damage while they are forced to run away or charge you. Loyang hydro is pretty weak but German hydro is freaking amazing. Not to mention the best torps in the teir as well. Getting my German DD exp now so I can ranked with them. Benson will fall off pretty quick.

[RG]
Members
2,894 posts
7,198 battles

The idea for hydro smoke combo is you don't lost the knife fight - because you can't (unless spotted by radar or sonar yourself). You take 0 damage while they are forced to run away or charge you. Loyang hydro is pretty weak but German hydro is freaking amazing. Not to mention the best torps in the teir as well. Getting my German DD exp now so I can ranked with them. Benson will fall off pretty quick.

​This just isn't what I am seeing, either in Randoms or on the test server. I've done it both ways, in the V-22 and the Benson. The Hydro is still too short range and doesn't help you see a ship not in smoke if you are. A DD in smoke in a cap circle gets waited out, torp'd or - my favorite - charged behind a wall of torps. I'll stick with the Benson.

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
6,725 posts
12,933 battles

​Excuse me...BBs with 11+ second rudder shifts can dodge torps. 

Not at DD knife fight ranges they dont.

[RG]
Members
2,894 posts
7,198 battles

Not at DD knife fight ranges they dont.

​At T8, you don't GET to knife fight range to launch torps on a BB unless you're suicidal.

<This is the part where you tell me that of course, you can do it all the time, no problem>

Edited by Thornir

[RG]
Members
2,894 posts
7,198 battles

So is the Akizuki not even in the discussion?

there are some really good drivers out there that can make it work. I question whether or not the majority of those that might use it would fare well against a Benson. 
Edited by Thornir

Sign in to follow this