Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Hunter_Steel

Scharnhorst's Accuracy

25 comments in this topic

[-ARP-]
[-ARP-]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,178 posts
4,376 battles

So on the topic of Scharnhorst's accuracy, I remember a thread a while back showing Scharnhorst had poor accuracy. However, the image that showed this, showed that the OP was firing at a mountain and not a target. In this case, even Yamato's accuracy with MBM2 would have her shells look like Fusou's average dispersion.

However, due to game mechanics, when you aim at a target, the game will focus the guns on the target, causing the dispersion to tighten a bit. Instead of making it feel like your barrels are bent. fIzsHbY.jpg

This is just one, but one of many such salvos, that I have experienced, that seem to be pretty accurate. Also, I run my with SBM2. A max secondary build and I achieve pretty okay accuracy.

However, I do not deny, that there are times when Scharnhorst's accuracy is pretty wonky. Sometimes I get a salvo where the shells from my number 3 turret are all over the place. Like the gunnery crew in turret number 3 wants to be humanely put down or something of the sort:

5X36nX2.jpg

Notice the three shells that are in quite a vertical arc? Yeah, those are from turret number 3. I can tell you this, whenever I get weird dispersion from her, I get it from my number 3 turret. Honestly, that crew really is smoking something half the time when my forward turrets usually give me respectable shell dispersion patterns.

Anyone else noticed the same thing?

~Hunter

[HYD]
Members
7,105 posts
5,289 battles

In the Gneisenau, I always get one turret firing super accurately, and the other two firing all over the place. Or at least, that's how it feels. It must be a German thing. 

[PLPTV]
Members
1,457 posts
9,077 battles

The words "Sharnhorst" and "accuracy" shouldn't be used in the same sentence.

Beta Testers
5,082 posts
5,575 battles

If there's a pattern to it then I just can't find it. I've all but made peace with the fact that Scharnhorst is only good for dpm, not alpha.

Then sometimes you get matches like this one I had today where salvo after salvo everything bounces, shatters or (over)penetrates for zero damage regardless of point of impact. I swear the penetration/damage feels more random with this ship than the dispersion itself. You can always fire HE for 2k damage per salvo and a paltry fire chance, but that's lame when you have a theoretically viable broadside or superstructure shot.

[-ARP-]
[-ARP-]
4,178 posts
4,376 battles

If there's a pattern to it then I just can't find it. I've all but made peace with the fact that Scharnhorst is only good for dpm, not alpha.

Then sometimes you get matches like this one I had today where salvo after salvo everything bounces, shatters or (over)penetrates for zero damage regardless of point of impact. I swear the penetration/damage feels more random with this ship than the dispersion itself. You can always fire HE for 2k damage per salvo and a paltry fire chance, but that's lame when you have a theoretically viable broadside or superstructure shot.

I really think in cases like these, WG went and added RNG to literally every aspect of this ship lol

~Hunter

[-FBS-]
Members
2,646 posts
4,290 battles

Funny you mention turret 3. On my NC I notice on occasion that I fire turret 3 by itself and it had wonderful dispersion. A few times I shot at a cruiser and get 3 citadels. :ohmy:

[BASF]
[BASF]
Members
76 posts

I fired a full salvo at a broadside ship and a guy in chat replied, that looked like a shotgun pattern. lol

[HYD]
Members
7,105 posts
5,289 battles

I fired a full salvo at a broadside ship and a guy in chat replied, that looked like a shotgun pattern. lol

I don't think any German BB has good dispersion. Maybe Konig and G.K, but that's only because they have a lot of guns. 

Beta Testers
1,362 posts
4,392 battles

If u are having a hard time hitting targets with this awful rng. Then u need to get closer to your target.

Bbs camp way in back and then complain they cant hit anything.

There is less rng the closer u get to a target.

Imagine that.

Beta Testers
1,362 posts
4,392 battles

This is why adding upgrades that extend your reach is useless. Unless it also cuts down on dispersion.

I enjoy seeing scharns on the red team. Cause i know theres a good chance that hes gonna want to do some tanking and get close.

And 2 bbs 10km apart angling is fun times.

Members
2,246 posts

I'm yet to pilot the German BB with accurate guns and I'm at the Bismarck right now.

But they can take a hell of a beating. I think that makes up for it.

[KARP]
Beta Testers
204 posts
9,550 battles

German ship's gun, like the Scharnhorst, accuracy follow one motto: Accuracy by volume. :trollface:

[HYD]
Members
7,105 posts
5,289 battles

German ship's gun, like the Scharnhorst, accuracy follow one motto: Accuracy by volume. :trollface:

And then you have Gneisenau: Accuracy by........oh wait, what accuracy?? It has none! 

[-ARP-]
[-ARP-]
4,178 posts
4,376 battles

I'm yet to pilot the German BB with accurate guns and I'm at the Bismarck right now.

But they can take a hell of a beating. I think that makes up for it.

Problem with Scharnhorst, is that it's not just her accuracy that RNG dictates. Everything on her is wonky, even her protection. Sometimes you won't be able to bounce anything, sometimes you find yourself invincible because not even 16inch guns can kill you.

~Hunter

[-FBS-]
Members
2,646 posts
4,290 battles

And then you have Gneisenau: Accuracy by........oh wait, what accuracy?? It has none! 

It has secondaries and torpedoes :teethhappy:

[HYD]
Members
7,105 posts
5,289 battles

It has secondaries and torpedoes :teethhappy:

The secondaries are probably just as accurate as the main guns if you take MFCSA :D

[D2P]
Members
2,293 posts
6,976 battles

Dispersion is only a bad thing if you are shooting at someone sailing straight. If they are dodging your shots a little dispersion can actually be helpful. For example on tirpitz. Crusiers at 18 km are fair game - line it up on the water line and whether they turn towards or away from you - citadels are still in the picture.

[QAPLA]
[QAPLA]
Beta Testers
1,186 posts
4,123 battles

I find Sharny's Dispersion a mixed bag. Either the salvos are CA level accurate.. or Fuso Level Shotguns. And it changes from click to click. That being said, she get's the job done when I do my part as she fires so often (and an 11" shell is still beastly) that the accuracy really isn't that critical. 

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
28,244 posts
24,663 battles

In the Gneisenau, I always get one turret firing super accurately, and the other two firing all over the place. Or at least, that's how it feels. It must be a German thing. 

"Made in German"

... Warship optics, that is :trollface:

Beta Testers
1,022 posts
1,161 battles

For the life of me I do not know why the Gneisenau has 380mm, unless it was a WG "muh balance" decision.

Members
330 posts
4,046 battles

I find she is no more accurate at 4 km than at 15 km. I've yet to citadel while brawling another BB and I can't figure out if it's because the guns are too small or none of the shells are hitting where I'm aiming. Shooting at broadside CAs under 5 km is a complete roll of the dice. At 5-10 km it seems to be lucky that you hit them at all.

That being said I've fired at almost dead CAs at max range and have seen incredibly tightly grouped patterns?

[-ARP-]
[-ARP-]
4,178 posts
4,376 battles

I find she is no more accurate at 4 km than at 15 km. I've yet to citadel while brawling another BB and I can't figure out if it's because the guns are too small or none of the shells are hitting where I'm aiming. Shooting at broadside CAs under 5 km is a complete roll of the dice. At 5-10 km it seems to be lucky that you hit them at all.

That being said I've fired at almost dead CAs at max range and have seen incredibly tightly grouped patterns?

I've noticed Myoko tight dispersion numbers before.

~Hunter

Sign in to follow this