Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Gully_Foyle_AS128127006

Two Brothers is a Potato Magnet

20 comments in this topic

Members
325 posts
12,504 battles

tldr:  Enemy chuckleheads ensure predictable outcome - so limit Two Brothers Channel to DDs only.

It was the enemy team this time.  So, no rage here.

Battle starts and the enemy all chats with a, "Are you all going to run thru the channel?"

This is met with the typical snark normal for such a question amongst smart aleck gamers with nothing to shoot at yet.

Battle "progresses."

Our west and east sides deploy and begin to drive back two very thin flanks.

Lo, and behold.  about half the enemy team in fits and bunches, but mostly singly, is in the channel or in the bay steering at the channel.

The trailing portions of our two flanks peel back for the slaughter while the forward halves begin to press against their resultingly thin resistance.

Total laugher.

By the time I pressed around in Warspite and had a bead on the enemy bay, it was just an enemy Omaha and Furutaka backing out of the channel back into their bay, side on, while what had to be a very frustrated enemy Nagato, sniping from way far back, was trying to counter our two advancing wings.

The furutaka backed into the shore in a futile attempt to angle and the Omaha was simply vaporized in the first volley.  The Furutaka went back to port soon after. 

Would have loved to have heard the comments on the enemy channel.

Just a note:  on the loading screen for Two Brothers it shows a ship in a channel.  Get rid of it.  Too many very unimaginative players see that thing and it tends to make their buzzing light bulb flicker orange a few times enough for them to form their "plan."

I get it, fun's fun - it was sorta fun from our side, but mostly just an eye rolling, stupid and bullying, kind of fun - but how fun is yoloing down the channel as the battle begins and losing after about ten minutes of futility, not to mention not sinking anything (except yourself basically)?

I've had some good battles on this map but I would not be too sad if it were relegated to co op only, because there's almost always a few people who find themselves on that map who should be in co op.

Potential Solution:  Make it so shallow that only DDs can run it.  Even though it's a usual fail, DDs running the channel, even early on - as long as there are no cvs - can cause mayhem and, for that matter, it's a gamble given the tactical pros and cons of DDs scouting the flanks and/or grabbing caps on those flanks.  Further, just the possibility of DDs, and only DDs, doing this creates the counter tactic of having a cruiser being heads up enough to head back if the channel has been run.

Just a thought to chew on because given the sheer amount of just remarkable stupid that channel tends to bring out, it's pretty rare that you get an actual well fought battle - too many "geniuses" with their "cunning plan that the enemy will never expect," or just the unimaginative and bored "leeroyjenkins" sector of players who should be in co op, instead of, you know, actually trying to do damage, earn exp, and get the win bonus.

Edited by Gully_Foyle_AS128127006

[KNTAI]
Members
3,133 posts
8,678 battles

Eh. Sometimes, it's a good strat to go middle, LATER on the match. I can remember several matches that I've won by going thru middle when the points are tight. MAYBE, add a dynamic depth level on that canal, that gradually raises the tide after a certain amount of time, allowing passage for cruisers and larger vessels.

• Cool 3

Members
1,326 posts
95 battles

Potential Solution:  Make it so shallow that only DDs can run it.  Even though it's a usual fail, DDs running the channel, even early on - as long as there are no cvs - can cause mayhem and, for that matter, it's a gamble given the tactical pros and cons of DDs scouting the flanks and/or grabbing caps on those flanks.  Further, just the possibility of DDs, and only DDs, doing this creates the counter tactic of having a cruiser being heads up enough to head back if the channel has been run.

Why making a solution for what works fine already? the channel is used mostly by DDs anyway to cap enemy flag, in my over 1k battles I've actually never seen any large ships trying to push through. Not a single time. Although I mostly play on Asia server and it seems like most people there realise the futility of such an attempt. But if they choose to push - let them. On the plus size you can get an amazing replay, like one IChase posted like a month ago when 4 top-tier batteships went charging through the channel with obvious results.

Let potatoes be entertaining for once :trollface:

Edited by geser98

Members
5,417 posts
3,213 battles

I really hate this map. I always get the potato team where 2-3 cruisers think they're geniuses going down the middle channel, only to get spotted and deleted.

Members
1,326 posts
95 battles

I really hate this map. I always get the potato team where 2-3 cruisers think they're geniuses going down the middle channel, only to get spotted and deleted.

OMG! Where do you get all these people! I want to see idiots too! :trollface:

Members
325 posts
12,504 battles

I've seen every ship type, including CVs try to run the channel first thing.  And they get slaughtered and lose - every time.  Sure, it's amusing if it's the enemy and just a big, far waste of effort for anyone else on their team left with trying to carry their dead weight.  And I'll take a replay of a well fought battle over a potato parade every time.  But that's just me.  

Beta Testers
303 posts
8,267 battles

NA server. Join a battle and behold ...

Members
5,417 posts
3,213 battles

I'm not even exaggerating. And every now and then you'll get a BB that'll tag along for their potato adventure. 

Beta Testers
1,165 posts
10,896 battles

Today in a tier 8 match, the enemy sent a Bismarck, Atago and a Kutuzov down mid 1 min into the game.

At the time (as a tier 6 DD), this was a gift, and 1 of the few wins I had today.

It made me think of this 

The 3 boats did minor damage.... the most damage caused in this incidence was by me.   I am sad to say I was target focused.... lost situational awareness... and our Atago collected some team damage.

:(

Edited by madgiecool

Beta Testers
271 posts
10,664 battles

Going up the cut works in certain specific situations. The drunken/wake-n-bake tactics are hilarious but futile.

1. NO CVs

2. DD advantage to your team.

3. WAIT at least 3-4 minutes.

4. Red team MUST be spotted to gauge positions. Abort if more than 1 guard is left behind.

5. Non-tater division with 1 DD for smoke to go up the cut.

Full speed boosted straight smoke out of the cut into the enemy bay with firepower following. The DD usually takes fire due to staying out of the smoke to spot. The guns behind do damage and cap.

IJN CAs excel at coming out of the cut firing guns and dropping torps.

Edited by BlueWaterWolf
  • Cool 2

Members
325 posts
12,504 battles

tldr:  Just a bump because I got Two Brothers again for the first time since the battle described originally - and, whadya know - pretty much the same stupid scenario

Two Brothers.  Battle starts.  Our Bayern annonces on team chat (not all) he is going to run the channel.  I ask him not to because we have a better chance of victory if he doesn't throw his ship away and that I like victory bonuses.  Graf Spee says he is too, but they don't they were only joking.  But enough ships do move into the mouth of our bay thinking there MIGHT be hot sweaty channel zerg action to catch the enemy Konigsberg and Atlanta who were coming through from the other side.  

About half our force had pushed one of the side caps and pressed into the enemy bay.  The other half either defending the opposite flank (and falling back) or clamoring to kill the enemy Konigsberg and Atlanta.

The enemy entire enemy force pushed the other side except for the two morons who went the channel and an ARP Kongo sniping badly from max range in the back.  

I ended up killing the Atlanta as he was turning around in channel.  I was in Murmansk.

Once again, I would have loved to hear the enemy chat, but I can well imagine how it went.

The map is a potato magnet.

Edited by Gully_Foyle_AS128127006

Members
543 posts
6,806 battles

I will use the channel late in the game as a short cut but that's about it.  Defending CA's aren't amused with a Bismarck appearing in their cap at 7km range behind them.

[BOTES]
Members
2,217 posts
8,428 battles

I don't know what to call it, but Two Brothers is the kind of map that has a high skill ceiling. The channel is deceptively "bad" because of suicidal players, but when used at the right time with adequate map awareness, it changes the outcome of the game. I don't like playing Two Brothers most of the time because people play the map wrong in Standard Battle, but at the same time, some of the most memorable displays of teamwork happen there.

The channel also causes a lot of controversy when you use it because everyone assumes you're terrible. The channel's reputation is that bad. Even if it helps your team win by splitting caps, flanking, etc. may people attribute your success to dumb luck. I guess the channel is a paradox. People know it's useful, but if the channel has such a reputation, more people will use it incorrectly. Channel secret club for uniscum only :^)

Edited by awildseaking

[SYN]
Members
5,877 posts
13,296 battles

Two Brothers is one of the better maps.

Now Shards, that is a potato magnet.

• Cool 1

[WOLFG]
Members
30,577 posts
9,216 battles

Not sure why but this map reminds me of lakeville.

Similar idea. The valley is almost always a bad idea, but if you rush it with enough fast tanks and don't stop, you can end up getting past the defenders, trapping them between you and your fellow attackers still climbing the hill. (arty support is very helpful too)

It's one of those strats that, those rare times when enough pubbies are on the same page, it works like gangbusters lol.

Members
3,929 posts
14,213 battles

Similar idea. The valley is almost always a bad idea, but if you rush it with enough fast tanks and don't stop, you can end up getting past the defenders, trapping them between you and your fellow attackers still climbing the hill. (arty support is very helpful too)

It's one of those strats that, those rare times when enough pubbies are on the same page, it works like gangbusters lol.

Sounds right. 

Members
104 posts
2,032 battles

A channel push basically never happens to me, what tends to happen in potato rounds is that my team always farts around just short of leaving home base and everyone just kind of dies one by one. Make it domination for extra frustration.

Sign in to follow this