You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
davehenrie

How to defend against upper tier Torpedo Bombers?

6 comments in this topic

[CTTDS]
Members
45 posts
23,903 battles

Since graduating to tier VI and VII,  I have been mugged repeated by torp bombers.  I used to keep the bow pointed at them, but now they seem to mill around and then swoop in lay a half dozen fish right in my lap.  I haven't escaped once even with my DD.

[HYD]
Members
7,105 posts
5,289 battles

-Stay with your teammates. 

-Keep wiggling. This will make the carrier readjust his attack angle, and this might buy you enough time to shoot down a few more planes (if you're in a battleship or cruiser) or cause him to make a bad drop. 

-Take AA skills (unless you have no AA like the mid-tier IJN DDs). Everyone says "Oh, AA skills are not worth it because you only see CVs in every once in a while", but I disagree. Even if you don't drop 4 points for Manual AA, you might use that spare point you have left over to get BFT. 

-Ask for fighter support from your own CV. Ping the enemy bombers on the minimap to let him know where they are. A CV player can become distracted with his own bombers and not notice the enemy bombers until it's too late, so this can help occasionally. 

Just a few things that have worked for me in the past. 

[RLGN]
Members
19,152 posts
35,188 battles

Lots and lots of practice helps. Remember also that going fast isn't always the answer; if you've dodged torps and they're now running beside you; consider slowing down to let them pass.

Beta Testers
1,821 posts
10,838 battles

Keeping the bow pointed at them is actually not the best thing. It's a pretty decent angle for IJN planes to come at you from. It reduces the time they spend on your AA bubble and a crossdrop from your how is near impossible to dodge.

What you should do is to turn INTO the plans after the player has committed to a run. This will allow you minimize or nullify the damage taken. You might take half or less of the toros depending on angle if you're in a BB. Point blank drops that are turned into will not arm.

But to be honest unless you're in a CA you cannot prevent a CV strike on your own. The best defense is to stick with teammates (which ironically also helps you fight surface ships)

Members
1,614 posts
10,688 battles
If they feint dropping on an allied ship then turn them around and drop on you, wait for the bombers to 1km-.9 and then rip the rudder hard into them. It's hard to describe but I hope you get the point.  If the bombers flip a 180 and suddenly come for you at your board side the good CV will come in and try to make you turn hard so you bleed speed. Try and manage your speed as best you can. It's almost like a game of chicken if that makes any sense.
Edited by Vekta408

[CTTDS]
Members
45 posts
23,903 battles

Lots and lots of practice helps. Remember also that going fast isn't always the answer; if you've dodged torps and they're now running beside you; consider slowing down to let them pass.

Thanks all,  trust me,  with the carrier air-crews I've been running into lately,  dodging is not an option by the time I spot the fish.  I think I got acclimated to the Tier 4 Mutt in the IJN DD class.  I could knock down just about any attacking group with that ship.  But my Tier VI Akatsuki isn't as capable against the higher tier aircraft.  Long slow grind to VII.