draknoid80

Does Graf Spee need preferential match maker?

• You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.

Spee buff   122 members have voted

1. 1. Should Admiral Graf Spee recieve preferential mm?

• Yes
    • No

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

28 posts in this topic

Admiral Graf Spee historically is an intriguing ship. Appropriately located at tier 6 the Graf Spee is crippled perhaps most by the sheer amount of tier 8 matches it sees. Designed to act as a raider that could smash cruisers but would disengage in the presence of battleships. Both to increase the historical accuracy of its targets and to give the cruiser the needed benefit to be an enjoyable ship both historically and in game.

Edited by draknoid80

Tier 6 as a whole would benefit from weighted MM (but not preferential) just so that they aren't uptierd quite so often. You can still citadel tier 8 BBs.

I tend to look at it as a challenge if I am bottom tier. I have more experience earning potential by doing damage to higher tier ships. The nice thing about WoWs, unlike the difficulties is WoT, is that you can still do damage no matter what tier you are. 

V and VI often finds itself primarily up tiered atm. I view it as an overall matchmaking issue and not just something related to the Graf Spee.

Nah, the only thing that really balances it is that it does see tier 8.  It's clearly supposed to be gimmicky and it's gimmick is that it trolls pre-WW2 ships and it gets chewed up by mid-war ships, just like it should.

Designed to act as a raider that could smash cruisers but would disengage in the presence of battleships.

Tell that to Langsdorff.  The first time he encountered three undergunned and underarmoured RN/RNZN cruisers he charged them down and wrecked his boat. :(  He probably would have rolled up the Exeter by herself, but the Graf Spee was a weird heavy cruiser, not a pocket battleship.  All myths aside, the Deutschland class cruisers were actually the Reichsmarine's attempt to squeeze as much ship as they could into 10,000(-ish) tons without provoking the French into war.  They were interesting ships when they were designed, but they were pretty well outclassed by 1939.

It think it's all kinds of fun, but I also think it's really well balanced considering the potential problems that having 28cm guns with a fast reload on a T6 cruiser could cause.

If it was only fighting tier 5-7 there would be a lot of complaints that it was crazy OP.  It's guns are just too good against other cruisers, especially when they're driven by new players still getting the hang of not showing their broadsides to the enemy.  It's frustrating to play it against tier 8 battleships for sure, but we could say that about a lot of tier 6 cruisers.  Even beasts like the Cleveland get knocked down more than a couple of notches when they're bottom tier, at least the Spee has the range to hit stuff and pretty good torps.

Graf Spee is a finesse ship. I have plenty of fun in mine so far, and her damage is higher than my Bayern's and approaches my Fuso's. She actually deals with the crappy T6 MM situation fairly well imo. :V

It's a challenging ship to play sometimes. My WR sucks in her but all my other stats are great. 

Graf Spee is fine in T8, just as good as any other T6 Cruiser.

Admiral Graf Spee historically is an intriguing ship. Appropriately located at tier 6 the Graf Spee is crippled perhaps most by the sheer amount of tier 8 matches it sees. Designed to act as a raider that could smash cruisers but would disengage in the presence of battleships. Both to increase the historical accuracy of its targets and to give the cruiser the needed benefit to be an enjoyable ship both historically and in game.

Wut?

Though I've observed others struggle with her in battle no what tier MM prescribes, IMO, Graf Spee can be quite powerful at all tiers it is matched at.

The Graf Spee out of all the T6 Cruisers can easily Punch above its weight. 

The only thing annoying about being Uptiered is that there's a lot more ships that you cannot run away from AND those ships are more likely to smack you a round. 

But if you aim well and Disperse lucky your as effective as a Bow On Scharnhorst albeit much more squishy. And Scharnhorst performs well when uptiered against T9s. 

In the Graf Spee when uptiered, you just have to remember against which ships you should start running / kiting earlier and which ships you've no chance of running against and which to charge against once they have 'caught' you. 

When being up-tiered, I would suggest not YOLO-ing off alone but stick with the group. While the reload is faster then a BBs, it's not cruiser reload speed. Being in a group will help fend off those higher tier invisible DDs and help with the AAA cover you lack.

I did fairly decent in my first battles in it by staying with the group, while another on our team went off alone and got focused on by the CV.

Honestly I find myself having an easier time killing Graf Spee's in tier 5 destroyers than I am in tier 7-8 cruisers. They are actually tough ships hit points wise and they repair. Please no prefferential matchmaking. Fighting ships of higher tier is just part of the game. Some ships don't do so well against higher tier ships, some do. I don't think the Graf Spee is bad at it - those guns can still hurt cruisers which is it's job.

V and VI often finds itself primarily up tiered atm. 

For the most part, the only tiers that can't say this atm are Tiers 1,4,9,10. Otherwise, "I'm always a victim of being uptiered". 

Point is,  yes more than likely at some point, a player playing a ship that isn't a Tier 10, will be on the low end of the totem pole. Any ship can help their team, no matter if they got queued +/- 0, +/- 1, +/- 2. How often getting uptiered actually happens though is purely speculation. Server population at the time, ships being played in queue, etc. all factor into the equation for the MM.

I tend to look at it as a challenge if I am bottom tier. I have more experience earning potential by doing damage to higher tier ships. The nice thing about WoWs, unlike the difficulties is WoT, is that you can still do damage no matter what tier you are. 

Unless you're the CV.

Honestly I find myself having an easier time killing Graf Spee's in tier 5 destroyers than I am in tier 7-8 cruisers. They are actually tough ships hit points wise and they repair. Please no prefferential matchmaking. Fighting ships of higher tier is just part of the game. Some ships don't do so well against higher tier ships, some do. I don't think the Graf Spee is bad at it - those guns can still hurt cruisers which is it's job.

​I agree. DDs of any tier are much more trouble for Spee than up-tiering against BBs and cruisers.

if i'm uptiered to t8 in my spee. i just change my role a little bit. i'll stick behind friendly BB's. until they engage targets and i will help out with HE or AP depending on range of the target and class. i will gladly set t8 BB's on fire. since the HE shells have such a high chance to set a fire

and ya pretty much DD's of any tier are dangerous to a SPEE, slow turrets, slow reload, only 2 turrets.

reality is, MM should be slightly fixed for everyone, instead of +2 tiers. like how WoT works too :/

V and VI often finds itself primarily up tiered atm. I view it as an overall matchmaking issue and not just something related to the Graf Spee.

​Agree. Every T5/T6 is screwed over by MM. Graf Spee at least has very good armor, guns( only 6 but stillgood ), and torps. Plus it has good speed. It can take seeing T8 far better than any other T6 CL no question.  Edited by AdmiralThunder

since she has a t9 heal and t8 hitpoints, she's already quite good at punching above her weight.

All of tier 6 suffers due to matchmaking changes. There are other tier 6 ships that uptier much more poorly than the Spee. Spee's guns, good armor for it's tier, and it's heal all help it scale up *reasonably* well (though obviously not great). I once brawled a full health North Carolina and came out on top due to Spee's ridonculous torpedo arcs ;)

i had a scarn, who didn't know torp range of spee. he got a surprise :D

someone else killed him. but was a lot easier with over half his health gone !

I don't believe I've played a ship that uptiers as well as Graf Spee. I can't even believe this was asked :child:

Edited by umpdump