Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
KrapMaster

Tashkent/Akizuki

6 comments in this topic

[R-A-W]
Beta Testers
285 posts

I've been playing my Akizuki a fair amount and I like the little ship. I have very little to complain about except the steering. I have the SGM2 to bring down rudder shift time to 3.7s but it still turns like a battleship having a turning radius of 730m. Now I also have the Tashkent which also has a 730m turning radius and I also have the SGM2 mod on it to bring it's rudder shift time down to 4.8s and to me the Tashkent seems to turn sharper and quicker than the Akizuki. It's almost like the Tashkent has a smaller turning radius than whats posted in game. I know speed may play a little on this but even at slower speeds the Tashkent seems more nimble despite have same radius and slower shift time. Has anyone else noticed this?

[SWOB]
[SWOB]
Alpha Tester
1,147 posts
6,651 battles

Akizuki is not what I would call a maneuverable ship, it's huge and it's not especially well powered for its size.  It's very much a small AA cruiser than a large destroyer.  Tashkent has a lot of juice and a lot of acceleration which makes it a lot easier to maneuver in general, it feels peppy even when it is using half the map to make a turn.

I haven't played Tashkent since supertest so I can't comment directly on the comparison today, but your observations seem pretty consistent with what I remember.

Members
1,326 posts
95 battles

I've been playing my Akizuki a fair amount and I like the little ship. I have very little to complain about except the steering. I have the SGM2 to bring down rudder shift time to 3.7s but it still turns like a battleship having a turning radius of 730m. Now I also have the Tashkent which also has a 730m turning radius and I also have the SGM2 mod on it to bring it's rudder shift time down to 4.8s and to me the Tashkent seems to turn sharper and quicker than the Akizuki. It's almost like the Tashkent has a smaller turning radius than whats posted in game. I know speed may play a little on this but even at slower speeds the Tashkent seems more nimble despite have same radius and slower shift time. Has anyone else noticed this?

It's not that Tashkent has better turning, it's just the speed difference that makes you feel so. Moving at 30-something knots as Akizuki does it takes a fair amount of time to travel 700 meters, but at 45 knots it's obviously faster. Tashkent is not nimble at all, try going to 3/4 speed and turning. You'll have the same feel as Akizuki does.
  • Cool 1

[R-A-W]
Beta Testers
285 posts

It's not that Tashkent has better turning, it's just the speed difference that makes you feel so. Moving at 30-something knots as Akizuki does it takes a fair amount of time to travel 700 meters, but at 45 knots it's obviously faster. Tashkent is not nimble at all, try going to 3/4 speed and turning. You'll have the same feel as Akizuki does.

I have and that's what I mean, I went from a stand still at the beginning of a game started speeding up and turning and the Tashkent turned better than the Akizuki did. I guess because they have the same turning radius I am expecting almost the same kind of handling. Even with the Akizuki's 1s better shift time it still seems less nimble than the Tashkent. It might be just because of Tashkents speed and power that makes it more maneuverable but still I would think there wouldn't be that much of a difference.

Members
1,326 posts
95 battles

I have and that's what I mean, I went from a stand still at the beginning of a game started speeding up and turning and the Tashkent turned better than the Akizuki did.

AFAIK Tashkent has better acceleration from standstill
Edited by geser98

[R-A-W]
Beta Testers
285 posts

Well I went and got the training room enabled and took both ships out for a little spin. Indeed there doesn't appear to be any difference in the turning radius and there is about a 9 knot difference while going around a constant turn. The Tashkent just dives right into the corner while the Akizuki chugs around like a tugboat. That speed makes all the difference in the world. At least I can dodge shots better in the Tashkent than I can in the Akizuki. If only slightly. No more complaining about Tashkents maneuverability, there's a new king.

Sign in to follow this