Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Thanos_Snap_

Struggling to deal damage, advice please?

9 comments in this topic

[LSNB]
[LSNB]
Members
291 posts
7,311 battles

I've made another post like this when I was around tier 5,6,7 gameplay and now I'm moving into 8,9,10 games and I'm seeming to have some issues with dealing good damage in games.

The ships I'm really focusing on are the Nagato, Tirpitz, Takao, and Mogami.

In the Nagato I feel like my armor is made of tissue paper (and I realize it is really thin.) It has a very high hp pool to make up for this, but I feel like any stray bb shell that is plunging can just erase large amounts of my hp with very little effort on the firers part. (Iowas and NC's I'm looking at you.) And yes I know what angling is and that it really can't help against plunging fire, but I feel that I take way too much damage even when angled. I don't really have much complaints about my gun's performance though, but I feel like I never get those ship deleting salvos from the ranges that other bb's seem to get.

With my tirpitz I have another set of problems. I've watched atsf's how to videos. And try to play aggressively. But I can't find that sweet spot between pushing and suiciding. I always seem to get focused down by multiple ships if I play aggressively. So I'm really at a loss at how to play this ship. I know it can't snipe well, but pushing seems to lead to disaster. So since I can't deliver damage effectively at range I just have to try to not die until late game when I can effectively 1v1 enemy bb's without getting focus fired by the enemy team. and that honestly doesn't sound too fun to me.

With the Mogami and Takao I have a little less problems, I actually like cruiser play as I can actually move and avoid torps and fire, but I have massive problems dealing significant damage. I can get maybe 30 or 40k with a decent battle, a little more if things get lucky. I seem to struggle with deciding to go with friendly cruisers at the start of a match or hang back with the bb's. In any case I think it all boils down to trying to get good positioning to fire on enemy ships without getting focus fired or deleted.

So yeah my stats are bad and I suck at positioning and dealing damage. I know, git gud right? So please any advice on these issues would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Alpha Tester, Members, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
12,401 posts

Do you have any replays we can see? It's really hard to give advice when we have no idea how you play your ships. Could be something as simple as taking shots you shouldnt be and missing. Your aim could be off. Theres a lot that could be going wrong.

• Cool 1

[SWOB]
[SWOB]
Alpha Tester
1,147 posts
6,651 battles

With my tirpitz I have another set of problems. I've watched atsf's how to videos. And try to play aggressively. But I can't find that sweet spot between pushing and suiciding. I always seem to get focused down by multiple ships if I play aggressively. So I'm really at a loss at how to play this ship. I know it can't snipe well, but pushing seems to lead to disaster. So since I can't deliver damage effectively at range I just have to try to not die until late game when I can effectively 1v1 enemy bb's without getting focus fired by the enemy team. and that honestly doesn't sound too fun to me.

As Macabe said it's hard to give specific advice without seeing what you're doing in detail, it's possible that you're making mistakes you don't realize, or that you're just incredibly unlucky!  But something to consider is that aggressive in Warships rarely means beelining at the enemy or simply wading into the middle of the battle.  You are pretty powerful in a Tirpitz, but at the same time you need to understand that you have a couple of really serious weaknesses that you need to always be protecting against.  The first is that you're long and relatively narrow, this means you don't turn very well.  So you're going to be a sitting duck for torpedoes and flankers if you're not constantly conscious of this fact.

The second point is that the difference between a successful push and a failed push is very often "are you alone?"  If you push as part of a group you're much less likely to get focused by the enemy and when you can spread the damage you can often survive much longer.  One of the big advantages of the Tirpitz in particular is that you are very resilient, unless you get burst damaged you can often survive encounters that would wreck other battleships.  Sometimes I'll tag along with another battleship that is going in my general direction simply to ensure that I don't get spotted all alone by the enemy.

Another thought: The main reason I like the Tirpitz (it's my most played ship and I actually prefer cruisers and destroyers) is because it's fast.  Don't be afraid to run when you need to, use your speed to open the engagement and to repair, in extreme cases you can even pull back from the battle and snipe a bit while waiting for your repair cooldown to come up a second time.  There is nothing more frustrating than bringing a Tirptiz down to 10% of it's HP only to see it come back 3 minutes later with 50%+ of it's HP recovered.

Final point: never give up.  The Tirpitz is tough and it has really strong secondaries, the number of times I've been saved by a 150mm gunner trying to win an Iron Cross is amazing and your armour is just troll enough to pull off some amazing bounces or even to eat a torpedo that you are certain should kill you.

None of these are specific to your problem, but they are some general rules that I use when I'm in the Tirpitz that don't necessarily apply to all T8 battleships.

Members
1,326 posts
95 battles

As always, push with the team mates, don't push alone. If you find yourself overextended in KM BBs turning and fleeing is a fair game, unlike some other nations BBs, where you'll lose 3/4 of HP pool just negotiating a U-turn.

With the Mogami and Takao I have a little less problems, I actually like cruiser play as I can actually move and avoid torps and fire, but I have massive problems dealing significant damage. I can get maybe 30 or 40k with a decent battle, a little more if things get lucky. I seem to struggle with deciding to go with friendly cruisers at the start of a match or hang back with the bb's. In any case I think it all boils down to trying to get good positioning to fire on enemy ships without getting focus fired or deleted.

With Mogami are you using 155 or 203mm? If you use 155s you probably need to go forward with your DDs in the beginning and support them in capping and fighting enemy DDs. The sheer amount of shells you can output makes it impossible for a DD to avoid. One other advantage of 155mm guns is that they don't turn all that well (yeah it's an advantage in my books :) ) and you have to wiggle your boat all the time to bring them to bear and then back into angled position after the salvo, basically like one should play Warspite. Makes it a bit safer.

Take every opportunity to burn enemy BBs. You fire chance even with 155mm is great and you output lots of shells. Set them on fire, watch them burn. Stay very steeply angled and see battleship shells bounce... yeah they can do that sometimes :teethhappy: 

And with Nagato... just sail broadside like a potato. It's always IJN BBs that are sailing broadside at the far end of the map, but if at low tiers you can pump out shells with impunity, at high tier games everyone can punish you. Keep angled.

[LSNB]
[LSNB]
Members
291 posts
7,311 battles

I do have some replays and am willing to share them, but I don't know how to post them on the forum as it says they are too large.

[MPIRE]
[MPIRE]
Beta Testers
1,821 posts
10,838 battles

A little tip for BBs. If you feel your aim is a bit off, tap the z key after you fire to switch to the chase cam. Tap z shortly before the shells hit and you should get a much better view of where they're hitting!

Members
158 posts

Looking at your stats your survival is below average but you seem to be hitting the target ok.

Your survival in the Fuso is 30% whereas the average is 46% so it looks like you are pushing too hard or getting isolated and then killed.

So maybe don't push so much and don't get isolated.

[SWL]
Beta Testers
63 posts
5,865 battles

The longer that you stay alive, the more time you have to deal damage and the higher your damage numbers will be. Knowing when to fall back and when to advance becomes very important. Also keep in mind the value of HE and AP and when to use them.  Don't always use AP.  A salvo that ricochets because you used AP on a highly angled BB does nothing, while if you used HE you probably would have done decent damage and possibly set them on fire.  Similarly (but this is usually obvious) AP salvos on broadsides of cruisers/BBs can reward with huge amounts of damage (as opposed to an HE salvo on a broadside).  So, as a BB, don't shy from mixing up your selected ammo to match the situation.

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
876 posts

More of a statement than advice.

This was the hardest thing for me to learn, and I'm still trying.  I'm getting better at it, but still have a tendency to want to be too aggressive. I was either rushing in first, trying to get in the fight too quickly, or I was getting isolated without realizing it half the time because I was so engrossed with the enemy I was forgetting to check my overhead and position and would stray too far afield, or awater.  Staying patient, concentration on team play, how the group is performing is key.  Don't isolate yourself if you can help it, and try to stick with others that will compliment whatever you are driving.  Carefully Pick the times you are aggressive and know the other ships.  I've been away from the game a few months and now there are ships I have no clue about, if it does or doesn't have torps being the main thing, and firing ranges.  Like anything, the more you know the better off you are.  Study the ships in harbor, learn them as best you can.  That will help for sure.

Also agree, the YouTube videos are a wonderful tool.  Wish more would use them.

Sign in to follow this