Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Gene_Inari

What is the point of gunboating when. . .

17 comments in this topic

Members
219 posts
5,509 battles

I as a Blyskawica, catch a Yugumo at 6km, dead to rights on a 1v1 in a cap. And he can just crapout 20 torps on a wide spread and only need one hit on the very tip of my stern when several volleys of HE and a fire just end with me getting [edited] over and him running merrily back into stealth?

It's beyond [edited]terrible how torpedo damage works on destroyers compared to gun hits. Any brainless YOLO-ing IJN fuckwit can just spam out 6 salvos of torps in the span of 10 seconds on wide spread and just hope ONE hits, because that's all they ever need.

I have every advantage possible in a fight but it's all thrown out the [edited]window because of the fact that torps one shot other DDs. It's almost like IJN can just do whatever the [edited]they want and still take at least one person with them.

[NDA]
Supertester
3,926 posts
2,279 battles

Sounds like the Yugumo did a nice job of layering his torp spreads in a way that made it hard to dodge.  Some days you are the lawnmower, and some days you are the grass.

• Cool 3

[WOLF1]
Members
9,915 posts
14,369 battles

first of all , why are you THAT close to any ship???

THat is a polish Ninja you have there... possibly one of THE BEST stealth-fire HE spamming ninja's in the game....You should be running around shooting any and ALL stupid enough to be in your range having seen you int the Battle que and NOT hiding in the upper corner of the map.... BB, CV< CA, CL, DD.... it doesn't matter... you are a BLYSKAWICA FFS, stop getting that close to anyone....14.3 KM down  to 10.1KM.....

And shoot some of that polish sausage AP at those DDs... I find it works a tad better, when combined with HE....

Second of all.....

actually that IS ALL....

Dont get close.... and you might fall less to Germans.....

Edited by pmgaudio

[-KIA-]
Banned
9,382 posts
21,019 battles

You got hit by torpedoes in a DD.  Instead of crying how unfair this is, you should go castrate yourself out of shame.

Blyskawica plays a lot more like a Soviet DD with medium-range torpedoes than an American DD.  Being that close was your first mistake: the Soviet line sucks in close-quarters combat.  Even when IJN DDs have inferior HP and guns (somehow managing worse turret traverse than the Gnevny even), their torpedoes can actually be used in a knife-fight.

Edited by TenguBlade

[-VT-]
Members
738 posts
34,141 battles

Rant rant RANT...and...[edited].

Most IJN DDs are at a severe disadvantage in a knife fight.

On the other hand, the Blys is at a significant advantage in a gunfight at moderate range since it carries 7 guns.

Suggest you go back to tactical school and learn your craft a bit more.  Or change ship types.

Sabene

4200 battles in DDs and still steaming

Members
2,072 posts
2,712 battles

So...you fought a DD two tiers higher than you at supremely close range and expected to win just by virtue of being a "gunboat" DD. It sounds, to me, that you ended up running more into a situation where you grossly underestimated your opponent and received severe and humiliating punishment for it.

The torps slam that hard even against other DDs because if they miss, you would have had next-to-free reign over the battle at hand. Respect the IJN torpedo, even when you're a gunboat DD.

Members
331 posts
4,382 battles

Sounds like you caught yourself between a rock and a hard place. Truth be told, using the present mechanics, he did outplay you, so kudos to him. There are many things that can be taken away from this, you can either rage and cry, or you can learn from your mistake and his success. I'll leave what happens next up to you.

[WOLF1]
Members
9,915 posts
14,369 battles

Geesh, you guys.....I was being nice.... LOL....My new year resolution is to start sugar coating my "Opinion" and not be like I was....(I only have  a few strikes left, LOLZ!!!!)

but yeah.... you are right....

Edited by pmgaudio

[FAE]
Members
2,616 posts
3,631 battles

... Just so you know, the one GOOD thing about the IJN reworks was how much faster DD guns reload for consistent damage against UNARMORED target. *Cough, make the DDs kill each other.  That way bB classes don't even have to worry about DDs anymore.  Rework IJN DD guns are redacted worthless against anything other than DDs though.  

So at close range to a t9 vs t7, he has very good reload AND can use torps against you to wipe you out.  Ive seen you post another forum, I thought you were an experienced player, this is noob whine like quality wine.  Go be ashamed. 

• Cool 1

[0O0O0]
Members
16,315 posts
12,187 battles

A Torpedo hit should ruin your day in a DD, it should be nearly catastrophic.

[HINON]
Privateers, Privateers
6,800 posts
5,017 battles

A Torpedo hit should ruin your day in a DD, it should be nearly catastrophic.

Especially a Japanese torpedo. Those torps can do more damage than the destroyer has health.

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
24,687 posts
19,824 battles

Please educate me on how a Yugumo launches 20 torps.

2x4 launchers = 8 fish, with the 30 second reload torpedo booster = 16, but with thirty seconds between the first and the second 8.

At wide spread with that time you should have enough time to dodge weave between them if you're not too close and not broadside. Even that close you should expect torpedoes in the water and not be broadside.

You fought him on his terms, and lost.

[-K-]
Members
589 posts
12,843 battles

I as a Blyskawica, catch a Yugumo at 6km, dead to rights on a 1v1 in a cap. And he can just crapout 20 torps on a wide spread and only need one hit on the very tip of my stern when several volleys of HE and a fire just end with me getting [edited] over and him running merrily back into stealth?

It's beyond [edited]terrible how torpedo damage works on destroyers compared to gun hits. Any brainless YOLO-ing IJN fuckwit can just spam out 6 salvos of torps in the span of 10 seconds on wide spread and just hope ONE hits, because that's all they ever need.

I have every advantage possible in a fight but it's all thrown out the [edited]window because of the fact that torps one shot other DDs. It's almost like IJN can just do whatever the [edited]they want and still take at least one person with them.

First off, doesn't only the Shiratsuyu and Akizuki get the insta-reload consumable? Don't think a Yũgumo can do a 20-torp volley.

Second, that ship has better guns than you think. "Dead to rights" might be overstating it a bit, even against a very good tier-VII DD like the Błyskawica.

[AFW-]
[AFW-]
Members
296 posts
14,565 battles

OP u got killed....move on. do you want DD guns to shoot shells that do 20k per shell or would you rather torps do fractional damage depending on the target? Why do you think you deserved the kill?

[BOSS]
Beta Testers
2,757 posts
13,696 battles

I find this thread from a fairly high stat player kind of odd.  I'm kind of wondering if it's a troll thread to be honest.

You play enough DD, you eat torps from time to time duking it out.  It's just the way it is.

Members
909 posts

Why were you that close? 

[SWL]
Beta Testers
63 posts
5,865 battles

Please educate me on how a Yugumo launches 20 torps.

2x4 launchers = 8 fish, with the 30 second reload torpedo booster = 16, but with thirty seconds between the first and the second 8.

At wide spread with that time you should have enough time to dodge weave between them if you're not too close and not broadside. Even that close you should expect torpedoes in the water and not be broadside.

You fought him on his terms, and lost.

This ^

The Yugumo actually has decent guns. It can't go toe-to-toe with a similar tier DD with a high chance of winning, but with a decent captain it *can* win sometimes ... let alone fighting a lower-tier DD.  Of course, sometimes luck plays a part, especially with torps against another DD when in close.  A fraction of a second too long in reaction in order to turn, or the enemy luckily anticipating the direction of your juke.  It happens in DD knife-fights.  

Sign in to follow this