You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Venac

Simple solution to the potato team issue.

21 comments in this topic

Members
2,855 posts
9,169 battles

I've been playing this game since March. We all try hard to do our best every battle. We love this game. We all have been "potatoes" and we have all been heroes. Treat your fellow shipmates the way you would want to be treated. That's all I have.

• Cool 8

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
24,689 posts
19,844 battles

I prefer this method of - ... handling potatoes.

JrM4Cc6.gif

• Cool 5

Members
3,679 posts
8,111 battles

I prefer this method of - ... handling potatoes.

JrM4Cc6.gif

*looks at gif*

*Checks recent WR*

:ohmy:

Have my upvote you savage beast!

Edited by The_first_harbinger

[PLPTV]
Members
1,457 posts
9,077 battles

I found it and i think we can make some money!!!!!

I have a better idea. Anyone who gets WTR score lower than 750 in any given match gets penalized according to the tier. The amount penalized is given to the top 3 players in the match. 

For example:

• In a tier VI game 2 people end up with WTR below 750 and are then penalized 15k silver (each) of which 5k is given to each of the 3 players than ended up on top.
  • In a tier X game 5 people end up with WTR below 750 and are then penalized 75k silver (each) of which 25k is given to each of the 3 players than ended up on top.

This wont ban all the ... "potatoes" ...  from high tier games but its a start ...

Edited by Ulthwey

Beta Testers
5,082 posts
5,575 battles

I have a better idea. Anyone who gets WTR score lower than 750 in any given match gets penalized according to the tier. The amount penalized is given to the top 3 players in the match. 

For example:

• In a tier VI game 2 people end up with WTR below 750 and are then penalized 15k silver (each) of which 5k is given to each of the 3 players than ended up on top.
  • In a tier X game 5 people end up with WTR below 750 and are then penalized 75k silver (each) of which 25k is given to each of the 3 players than ended up on top.

What a creative way to kill the game by alienating its population and increasing the toxicity tenfold :)

• Cool 1

[PLPTV]
Members
1,457 posts
9,077 battles

What a creative way to kill the game by alienating its population and increasing the toxicity tenfold :)

Pfffffft don't be so pessimistic ... I'd think of it more as a passive-aggressive filtration of high tier playerbase.

[OKAYU]
Beta Testers
105 posts
13,758 battles

Aaaaand now I want french fries. Thanks OP.

Jokes aside, I think Rounne said it best when it comes to dealing with below average players, and that is to just simply focus on how well you do.

Not that that's going to stop me from hurling a few profanities at my computer screen, but at least they won't go in the direction of other players. 

[SIM]
Members
5,368 posts
8,871 battles

I've been playing this game since March. We all try hard to do our best every battle. We love this game. We all have been "potatoes" and we have all been heroes. Treat your fellow shipmates the way you would want to be treated. That's all I have.

This is a great sentiment, and everything that the community should aspire to when it comes to combating toxicity. We all know that WoWs is currently lacking a skill-based mode, so the results of Random battles are going to be...wait for it...random. Some of them aren't going to be as good as you are, some are going to be better, but in the end, we're all pulling towards the same victory. 

For example:

This wont ban all the ... "potatoes" ...  from high tier games but its a start ...

And this is the kind of elitist garbage that this game can do without. 

• Cool 1

[BOTES]
Members
282 posts
6,624 battles

The easiest way would be to take WTRs, add them up between the 24 people, and then adjust the teams to make both sides have roughly equal WTR. Many games already do this. This would ensure that both teams get a mix of good and bad players.

• Cool 1

[ICOP]
Members
1,078 posts
4,301 battles

Whats wtr?

​WTR is Want To Rage, it is the co-efficient derived from a simplistic formula which measures a player's rage levels across many matches.    
Edited by Junostorm
  • Cool 1

Members
1,797 posts
5,635 battles

Whats wtr?

The easiest way would be to take WTRs, add them up between the 24 people, and then adjust the teams to make both sides have roughly equal WTR. Many games already do this. This would ensure that both teams get a mix of good and bad players.

Warships Today Rating.  You can find them here: https://na.warships.today/ 

The problem with this idea, of course, is that not all WTR are equal.  Lets simplify things to show and example.  In this case, we're looking at a 6 man team/group.  

Group A - 2x BB, WTR of 1500 each, 3000 total, 2x DD, WTR of 1500 each, 3000 total, 2x cruiser, WTR of 500 each, 1000 total.  - team total, 7000

Group B - 2x BB, WTR of 1000 each, 2000 total, 2x DD WTR of 750 each, 1500 total, 2x cruiser WTR of 1750 each, 3500 total - team total, 7000

How do these teams match up?  The strengths of the team are incredibly uneven in their distribution...which boats are more influential, inherently?  What about map selection?  That's assuming everyone there is same tier!  What happens when you bottom tier guy is a 1500 WTR dude and your top tier guy is a 500 WTR dude?  (FYI - around 1000 is considered to be average)  How does that work?  Can a unicum dude carry a top tier BB in, say, a bottom tier cruiser?  

Interesting thought though, just from the stand point of intellectual exercise.

[YORHA]
Members
5,134 posts
10,306 battles

Warships Today Rating.  You can find them here: https://na.warships.today/ 

The problem with this idea, of course, is that not all WTR are equal.  Lets simplify things to show and example.  In this case, we're looking at a 6 man team/group.  

Group A - 2x BB, WTR of 1500 each, 3000 total, 2x DD, WTR of 1500 each, 3000 total, 2x cruiser, WTR of 500 each, 1000 total.  - team total, 7000

Group B - 2x BB, WTR of 1000 each, 2000 total, 2x DD WTR of 750 each, 1500 total, 2x cruiser WTR of 1750 each, 3500 total - team total, 7000

How do these teams match up?  The strengths of the team are incredibly uneven in their distribution...which boats are more influential, inherently?  What about map selection?  That's assuming everyone there is same tier!  What happens when you bottom tier guy is a 1500 WTR dude and your top tier guy is a 500 WTR dude?  (FYI - around 1000 is considered to be average)  How does that work?  Can a unicum dude carry a top tier BB in, say, a bottom tier cruiser?  

Interesting thought though, just from the stand point of intellectual exercise.

Also WTR does not award anything for spotting, providing smoke for teammates, tanking damage for the team and all of the other things that we want to actually encourage.  It is based primarily on kills and damage.

It's about the worst metric you could use if you want to encourage team play.

Members
1,797 posts
5,635 battles

While we're talking about match maker balance, WoWS needs to move to a post-class system. The reality is that with the diverse array of ships now in the game, one for one class parity is not inherently balanced. The situation where MM attempts balance by adding/subtracting a BB/DD when 1:1 doesn't happen is even more fraught.

Here are some very basic examples:

Colorado and Gneisenau - hugely different play styles, not inherently balanced against one another because they bring such different capabilities.

Shchors and Fiji - again, vastly different capability set. One is essentially an overgrown DD that engages at close range and relies on vision control for survival and is dependent on teammates to spot targets. The other is a high speed, open water boat that can light fires and harass from long range.

Kiev and Shiratsuyu - Kiev is basically a small cruiser with self defense only torpedoes. Shiratsuyu is slower, stealthier and puts lots of more potent fish in the water.

The point here is that simply assigning one of each of the above to opposite teams doesn't result in balance because the capabilities are so different. There's a far more basic issue here than even player skill. An example in action:

Yesterday, in a match I played, one team received a division with a Benson and two Lo Yang. The other team received an Akitzuki and a Kiev plus an extra Tier VI BB. It was a domination map. This is the whole collection of problems in one spot. Three cap contesting knife fighters versus one same tier torpedo boat and one down tier VMF gunboat - is that balanced? Arguably, that division gives a significant advantage to their team before any skill or teamwork is accounted for. The only corrective effort MM undertook was to give the other team one additional bottom tier BB - which, arguably, the extra top tier DD is the perfect counter to.

Edited by Mahrs