You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Rath_

Tier 8-10

16 comments in this topic

Members
50 posts

I just find it hard to understand how players can make it to tier 8+ and still have no clue about the basics of the game. They still sail broadside, yolo, can't hit the side of a barn...etc. You would think by tier 8 they would have learned something even if they do not want to read the forums, watch youtube videos for help...etc, but no they still do the same stuff that gets them killed or makes them useless to the team. The Dunning Kruger effect does not even explain this. A box of rocks would somehow figure out in the long run not to sail broadside. I am beginning to wonder if these people are insane... you know the old saying..doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results is a sign of insanity. 

/rant off

Members
1,465 posts
7,121 battles

This has been a question in many games. WoT, WoWs, WoW and many more. If anyone ever figures this out PLEASE tell the rest of us. Inquiring minds want to know. 

Members
3,014 posts

Sometimes I've caught myself in a 'zone-out' moment.

Things just go foggy. My concentration flies straight out the window.

Focus becomes a faded memory.

I call it burn out....take my punishment, return to port and exit the program.

A few games while driving the Neptune made me look like super noob.

Edited by OnTheHouse

Members
1,326 posts
95 battles

I just find it hard to understand how players can make it to tier 8+ and still have no clue about the basics of the game. They still sail broadside, yolo, can't hit the side of a barn...etc. You would think by tier 8 they would have learned something even if they do not want to read the forums, watch youtube videos for help...etc, but no they still do the same stuff that gets them killed or makes them useless to the team. The Dunning Kruger effect does not even explain this. A box of rocks would somehow figure out in the long run not to sail broadside. I am beginning to wonder if these people are insane... you know the old saying..doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results is a sign of insanity. 

/rant off

Getting to T8 or even T10 doesn't specifically require any skill, just a lot of patience. So I'm pretty certain that there are some total potatoes playing in T10 matches, who only managed to get that far because they were patiently racking 500 XP per match :trollface:

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
24,712 posts
19,904 battles

Games played does not equate to skill. People have a skill ceiling, some higher, some lower. And one only learns if one is open to learning, if one wants to improve and can see their own mistakes.

[KMS2]
Members
10,919 posts
3,695 battles

This has been a question in many games. WoT, WoWs, WoW and many more. If anyone ever figures this out PLEASE tell the rest of us. Inquiring minds want to know. 

​"i play the game for fun" :trollface:

[NEMO]
Members
815 posts
8,771 battles

Games played does not equate to skill. People have a skill ceiling, some higher, some lower. And one only learns if one is open to learning, if one wants to improve and can see their own mistakes.

Unfortunately, some of those that never learn from their mistakes hamper the progress of those who do....

Members
2,855 posts
9,178 battles

Well said Lert. When you get to 8 you are tiered many times. You will never get better unless you play others that are better. I have the Iowa and Montana but I know I'm not really good enough to go into random. I know my skills and work at them.

[SYN]
Members
336 posts
14,434 battles

Most games teach you mechanics as part of the game, this one doesn't so most people don't learn.

Members
409 posts

I agree.

As for OP examples:

- YOLO is a pretty noob move with few exceptions.

- Some days I have trouble getting hits, especially if driving different ships with differing gun characteristics.  It happens.

- When ships have 18km+ range chances are you'll be "broadside" to one or more ships many times throughout the game.  If you're doing it often your ship HP tells you.

I'd add to that list players, especially above T5, who still have not learned getting caps wins games.  They still think it's all about getting kills, or their ship surviving until the end of the game.  Selfishness and lack of team play frustrates me more than anything else.  Just today, we had an ally ship leave the enemy cap to chase down a DD seconds before we capped for the win.  We lost due to the enemy capping us instead.  The player wanted the personal kill.  That was a frustrating loss.

Edited by nhf

[BARF]
Beta Testers
5,816 posts
5,484 battles

However, frequency of games played does have an effect on skill. 

For months, I was only able to fit 1-2 games per day in a 13-15 hour, 7 day a week job. 

When I quit that job and got my new one, suddenly 2 hours a day can be played. Over the weekend, over 80-90 games, I held a near purple win rate for 2 glorious days.  This happened after 2 weeks of hard failing as I was not quite able to hit anything. I was always a slightly bad read on targets speed, either a second travel time too fast or slow. Even now, the Missouri guns test me with my timing, but then again I never got along with the Iowas guns at mid range

[HINON]
Members
3,268 posts
27,679 battles

^^ nuff respect. I know you are a hard working man with limited time. I'm sure you won't recall but I've been on your team a few times and in those matches you dominated.