You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
AhosChaos

Explain to me the NC

28 comments in this topic

Members
363 posts
11,757 battles

For the most part I get the armor angling and bow on stuff, but explain to me these guns.

These guns seem to let me down more than the entire CO did.  

For example, 11km away broadside Arizona.  The Arizona isn't the biggest ship, but when it is broadside and that close it doesn't really matter.  Fire the front 2 turrets, and all whiffs.  The salvo, 2 cits which were extremely lucky because the two shells barely reached the Arizona while the other 4 went clean over.  I understand that RNG is a thing and these things happen.

Another game, a broadside Montana at 16km.  16km is reasonably far, but the Montana is a pretty big ship.  Fire all 3 turrets, hit 4 shots, 2 shatter 1 ricochet 1 overpen.  I'm fine with the overpen and ricochet as that's normal in a BB, but 2 shells shatter?  Do not have penetration?  Next salvo 1 cit 2 shatter 1 overpen.  I know detailed ribbons are a little bugged, but you hear ricochets and see damage.  The second salvo I heard no ricochets and had the damage matching 1 cit and 1 overpen.

It just feels like there is no sigma.  As soon as I fire the shells just drift farther apart and I don't hit things.  Granted it hasn't been many games, but I like to take pride in the fact that I can generally hit things consistently.  Tiers 5-7 US BBs for me sat all sat around 30% accuracy, and most of my IJN BB's sit around the 25-30% accuracy range.  

It is also kinda annoying how this ship also seems to have much more vertical dispersion than the previous ships

[HYD]
Members
7,105 posts
5,289 battles

For example, 11km away broadside Arizona.  The Arizona isn't the biggest ship, but when it is broadside and that close it doesn't really matter.  Fire the front 2 turrets, and all whiffs.  The salvo, 2 cits which were extremely lucky because the two shells barely reached the Arizona while the other 4 went clean over.  I understand that RNG is a thing and these things happen.

Another game, a broadside Montana at 16km.  16km is reasonably far, but the Montana is a pretty big ship.  Fire all 3 turrets, hit 4 shots, 2 shatter 1 ricochet 1 overpen.  I'm fine with the overpen and ricochet as that's normal in a BB, but 2 shells shatter?  Do not have penetration?  Next salvo 1 cit 2 shatter 1 overpen.  I know detailed ribbons are a little bugged, but you hear ricochets and see damage.  The second salvo I heard no ricochets and had the damage matching 1 cit and 1 overpen.

About the Montana, since its belt is really thick at 409mm, if he has just the slightest bit of angle you will not pen. So I'm guessing what happened was he had a tiny bit of angle on the first salvo, but the others he was completely broadside. You might have also shattered your shells on the turret armour. 

Edited by Aduial

Members
363 posts
11,757 battles

About the Montana, since its belt is really thick at 409mm, if he has just the slightest bit of angle you will not pen. So I'm guessing what happened was he had a tiny bit of angle on the first salvo, but the others he was completely broadside. 

Does the NC not have the enough pen?  I know the Iowa and for the most part the IJN BB's can pen that belt at about those ranges so does the NC just weaker pen?

[-KIA-]
Members
5,193 posts
13,724 battles

How about Wargaming explains why North Carolina has a 19% torpedo bulge when every single battleship before her is higher.

• Cool 3

Alpha Tester
6,513 posts
3,304 battles

I'd kind of like to know as well. I can't citadel any ships that aren't standing perfectly still for the life of me.

Members
672 posts
2,946 battles

NC's AP penetration is just fine.  The guns are mildly derpy, just keep practicing.

[PLDN]
Alpha Tester
2,156 posts
6,653 battles

NC is very accurate inside 15km and has some of the most reliable penetration damage in my experience. Try aiming higher for normal penetrations until you get a feel for the guns, and watch the minimap for the red's angle.

Members
3,679 posts
8,111 battles

Keep in mind sigma value only works if your aim is true. NC have a noticeably higher shell arc and slower shell speed than Colorado. Aim a bit too forward intentionally will have surprising results.

Members
363 posts
11,757 battles

the

At 15km the NC has 479 mm of pen.  That explains how I was able to get the cit, but not so much the non pens.  Maybe I hit turret faces or sides, but normally hits in turrets will ricochet so that's a little unusual.  Are there any like live model viewers to see how thick armor is at an angle.

Also at 15 km I cannot it a thing.  My shots are a little behind, but not nearly as bad as the first game.  Rather than righty under the funnels I hit a few meters behind the funnel, but before the rear turrets.  That is if I hit.  Horizontal dispersion is fine and I can handle it for the most part, but it feels like there is just so much more vertical dispersion.  I mean like when I fire my shells stack on top of each then spread up and down or they will form a 45/45 right triangle where two shells are short and one is long.

The saddest thing about me in this ship is the fact that one of my best games is me just charging forward and fighting an Iowa at less than a km broadside then sailing on the fight an MO in a similar situation only to be torped before I could fight another Iowa in a similar situation

Edited by AhosChaos

Members
1,725 posts
8,556 battles

NC is very accurate inside 15km and has some of the most reliable penetration damage in my experience. Try aiming higher for normal penetrations until you get a feel for the guns, and watch the minimap for the red's angle.

This.

Also, at the tiers where the NC fights, BBs tend to be better protected, and their drivers tend to angle a lot more often. At lower tiers you can often pen ships that are angled a bit, and enemies are a lot more likely to go broadside, so with the NC you need to get used to doing damage even when you can't get citadels. As a rule, you can do good damage to everything if you hit at deck level, right below the superstructure.

You should still get a couple of citadels in every match, but they aren't the main way you kill enemy BBs.

Members
2,997 posts
1,449 battles

Yeah, the guns on the North Carolina I have to admit are literally the only thing that are disappointing on it.  I play Coops, so, dont have any issue hitting, sitting at 43%, but it seems like no matter, the guns just dont do anything. 

They dont citadel even broadside CRUISERS.  Its kapow, 4km broadside, 3 overpens, 3 ricochets and maybe 8000 damage......hit a BB and its 3 ricochets, 3 shatters, 1 light pen and 1 miss.....and its just constant with that ships guns.  For 16 inchers, dear god are they underwhelming.  They are worse then the Arizona's 14 inch guns, that ship is pure murder a good portion of the time, get a good broadside and #lolcruiserdeleted...  It deals damage like the 16 incher should, get a broadside on another Arizona and its lol 16,000 damage followed by another 8000, followed by 12,000 more...

I figure its the terrible 701ms velocity.  Just to put that in perspective, I believe its nearly 100?  worse then the ATLANTA, and THAT ship has atrocious velocity at like 798?  

The NC could use something with its guns to make them more effective.

Now, oddly enough, you give the AI a 16 inch gun and it just lolautopens EVERYTHING....its 4000 per shell, 10-30k per broadside no matter what angle you sit at. 

Edited by KnightFandragon

Members
2,997 posts
1,449 battles

Yeah, the more im playin this, the more depressing even the NC is becoming.  I see why the NC is underperforming for server stats.  Its armor is fairly weak, and its gun are underwhelming as hell.

IDK how you explain solid LOLBOUNCES from 6km off the side of a broadside Scharnhorst.....then the absolutely useless velocity on the guns means you need 6km lead from 8km on a nearly stationary cruiser just to score a series of weak [edited]standard or over pens. 

As for aiming at the decks, yeah, been trying that, and I aim high, the shells fly over the top of the deck and hit the other side of the water....I aim at the belt, it lolbounces for 0.  I aim mid way up, it misses and lolricochets off for minimal damage.

Yeah, this North Carolina, it to is an underwhelming ship.  Its hailed as being really good because its the first US ship that moves fast, but its not that great in combat.  Not that good overall. 

WG should buff the USN to match the Arizona in performance, buff the velocity and accuracy of the NC and maybe it would be something.  The 14s on the AZ are vastly superior to the 16s...

[-FBS-]
Members
2,646 posts
4,290 battles

Interesting, I always found the NC's guns to be fairly consistent in terms of penetrations. The slow velocity sucks I admit but it is harder to overpen, especially at close range unless it hits super structure. Dunkerque on the other hand overpens like crazy for me. 

Members
1,747 posts
3,622 battles

I love the guns in the NC, I found 13-16km not just the sweet zone but more like the massacre zone, I obliterated the T9 German BB (Freddy or something), I just kept hitting him for 10-15k salvos, nothing he could do at 15-17km range I kept him at range because his gun dispersion sucked and what did hit me did little damage. I started working him over while he was behind a island and I just lobbed shells over on him.

Point is it's not the ships fault its your fault, nothing wrong with that, I couldn't make the Nagato work for me but I don't blame the ship for my crapperformance, I blame myself for not adapting

Members
2,997 posts
1,449 battles

I love the guns in the NC, I found 13-16km not just the sweet zone but more like the massacre zone, I obliterated the T9 German BB (Freddy or something), I just kept hitting him for 10-15k salvos, nothing he could do at 15-17km range I kept him at range because his gun dispersion sucked and what did hit me did little damage. I started working him over while he was behind a island and I just lobbed shells over on him.

Point is it's not the ships fault its your fault, nothing wrong with that, I couldn't make the Nagato work for me but I don't blame the ship for my crapperformance, I blame myself for not adapting

Whats the secret?  Even when I smoke ships dead center its maybe 5000 point hit.  Otherwise the shells just miss and lolbounce.  Aim at the deck, the shells fly over harmlessly, aim lower and they all lolbounce. 

Smacked a Leander in the broadside for 11,000, my Uncle smacked a Scharnhorst in the broadside from like 2km and got a fat 0.   All that penetration and 0 on a Scharnhorst....lol.

Meanwhile, the AI NCs are steady doing 11-30k a shot....

[-FBS-]
Members
2,646 posts
4,290 battles

Whats the secret?  Even when I smoke ships dead center its maybe 5000 point hit.  Otherwise the shells just miss and lolbounce.  Aim at the deck, the shells fly over harmlessly, aim lower and they all lolbounce. 

Smacked a Leander in the broadside for 11,000, my Uncle smacked a Scharnhorst in the broadside from like 2km and got a fat 0.   All that penetration and 0 on a Scharnhorst....lol.

Post vids/replays? 

[KIA-C]
Members
263 posts
3,866 battles

Yeah, the guns on the North Carolina I have to admit are literally the only thing that are disappointing on it.  I play Coops, so, dont have any issue hitting, sitting at 43%, but it seems like no matter, the guns just dont do anything. 

They dont citadel even broadside CRUISERS.  Its kapow, 4km broadside, 3 overpens, 3 ricochets and maybe 8000 damage....

I have no problem citideling cruisers in my NC although I have played only a few games in it I have deleted about 4 cruisers. I just don't see the problem you are talking about. Maybe your aim or RNG thats the only thing I can think of. Also make sure to be closer to the front you are not a Japanese BB.

[-KIA-]
Banned
9,382 posts
21,035 battles

Far from there being no sigma, North Carolina is so accurate that if your aim is off, the game will throw you trash RNG to help compensate.

As for the non-penetrations, at 15km, North Carolina has in the upper 400s of armor penetration.  If the Montana is angled at all, his belt will likely defeat your shells: the main belt is 410mm, and angling only increases the effective thickness.

I have no problem citideling cruisers in my NC although I have played only a few games in it I have deleted about 4 cruisers. I just don't see the problem you are talking about. Maybe your aim or RNG thats the only thing I can think of. Also make sure to be closer to the front you are not a Japanese BB.

He doesn't have an NC.  He's just hawking the complaints of everyone else as truth from his own experiences.

Then it's not the ship, it's you.

Edited by TenguBlade

[EGO]
Members
83 posts
15,360 battles

Sorry if this has already been said (I don't feel like reading the whole thread right now), but it may have to do with which hull you're on.  Unless they've changed it since I picked up the NC, the North Carolina doesn't get the Mk 8 Super-Heavy Shell AP round until the B hull.  What that means is that anyone with the A hull is going to have problems penning a target, whereas someone with the B or C hulls will just start wrecking the face off anything within about 12km.

Members
2,997 posts
1,449 battles

Honestly, what am I missing with the NC's guns?  I mean, just been running some training room games vs a horde of AI ships, they got nice n close, so accuracy wasnt a problem, just hammered the Cruisers in the side with AP all day long, basically nothing but standard and low penetrations, hit the side of BBs for standard penetrations. 

It would seem that if the shell is so heavy that its velocity is so crapthat its plunging so bad that it would slam through the decks and trigger your citadels on basically every shot.  One would think, and ive heard, that if AP is over penning, use HE.  Ok, so I do, I run another quick battle where I run nothing but HE, ok, so here it is, nothing but breaking all the modules for 1000 a piece.  So, that to doesnt work for crap. 

I mean, really, what is the secret to this North Carolina!?  I aim at the water line with AP to try for citadel hits and its just standard penetrations, low penetrations, over penetrations.  Use HE and aim at the side and upper works, its low damage, 3000 dmg, break the modules. 

What is it?  The NC has such high penetration that its screwing itself?  I mean, a huge [edited]shell, with high penetration should be utterly destroying everything.  A heavy, 16 inch HE shell should be enough to hit Cruisers, blow up the deck, and [edited] the citadels, if the AP is to much, the HE should do ok right?  yeah....

IDK what im missing...I wanna love this ship, its so sexy, its touted as the best ship in the line, but so far, im not seein' it. 

The Arizona and New Mexico honestly have better guns.....they deal citadels very frequently, I erase damn near a cruiser a game.  Ive had a game where ive dealt 5+ citadels, with my record being no less then 8 in a single game.  Ive citadel [edited] Nagatos, North Carolinas, even a few German ships, including I think a Scharnhorst or Tirpitz from mid range.  But this North Carolina, its guns simply dont do crap....

What is the trick?  I have no issue drilling the center of the ship, even from 10-16km, ive even scored reasonable hits from 18km+.   How do we do replays, why hasnt WG simply made it a toggle like WoT?

Edited by KnightFandragon

[-KIA-]
Banned
9,382 posts
21,035 battles

Sorry if this has already been said (I don't feel like reading the whole thread right now), but it may have to do with which hull you're on.  Unless they've changed it since I picked up the NC, the North Carolina doesn't get the Mk 8 Super-Heavy Shell AP round until the B hull.  What that means is that anyone with the A hull is going to have problems penning a target, whereas someone with the B or C hulls will just start wrecking the face off anything within about 12km.

NC has had the MK8 SHS on her A hull since at least the start of OBT.

Edited by TenguBlade

[NNG]
Members
1,675 posts
3,039 battles

I play my NC rather aggressively. I go bow on and if you get close enough but not too close, you do fine. In some instances, it may help to aim below the waterline of the ship your facing so you'll hit him where his citadel is and even the shells that go high will slap into the side of the ship.

Members
244 posts

Here is a kind of off topic question but my NC has an HP pool of 66000 However, I have seen other NC's with HP of 69200! What gives there?

But like has been stated the ideal range on the NC is around 14K I also try to aim to the rear of the funnels seem to do a bit of damage.

And I am not the best at aiming! :(

[-KIA-]
Banned
9,382 posts
21,035 battles

Here is a kind of off topic question but my NC has an HP pool of 66000 However, I have seen other NC's with HP of 69200! What gives there?

But like has been stated the ideal range on the NC is around 14K I also try to aim to the rear of the funnels seem to do a bit of damage.

And I am not the best at aiming! :(

Scrubs taking Survivability Expert.  400 * 8 = 3200 = 69200 - 66000.

Edited by TenguBlade