Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
AutismsRevenge

A Tier Population Study

16 comments in this topic

[USNDD]
Banned
66 posts
3,751 battles

Number of ships that entered into the Random Battles Q and played a game during the past 2 weeks:

Tier 1     31,850    .8%

Tier 2     37,287     1%

Tier 3     110,425     3%

Tier 4     262,670     7.2%

Tier 5     493,631     13.6%

Tier 6     623,016     17.1%

Tier 7     772,189     21.2%

Tier 8     767,989     21.1%

Tier 9     326,750      9%

Tier 10    208,204     5.7%

Total:  3,634,626

12% of all games played at tiers 1-4

73% of all games played are at tiers 5-8  (59.4% in 6-8)

14.9% at tiers 9-10

I found this interesting.  Thoughts?

Edited by GonnaMakeUQuit
  • Cool 2

[HYD]
Members
7,105 posts
5,289 battles

Clearly that means I need to seal-club in my lower tier ships more. 

Beta Testers
199 posts
2,837 battles

What about the other 0.3%?

Not surprising though Tiers 1-4 go by really fast. Leaving 5-7 for people actually grinding a line. Tier 8 is the competitive tier and there is no point to going to tier 9-10 as they have no incentive other then always being top tier. 

[HYD]
Members
7,105 posts
5,289 battles

Probably disappeared from rounding. 

Beta Testers
199 posts
2,837 battles

12% of all games played at tiers 1-4

73% of all games played are at tiers 5-8  (59.4% in 6-8)

14.9% at tiers 9-10

Probably disappeared from rounding. 

This part is also 0.1% shy but ya probably rounding.

Members
1,819 posts

That people say they are constantly bottom tier as a tier 5/6 seems to be true.

Since by this most of the games would be 5/6/7 6/7/8

Members
1,326 posts
95 battles

Thanks OP. That's interesting. So the AFAIK the reason for the current MM system is that WG wants to protect low tiers AND this supposedly results in the lack of players in mid-tier games, but tiers 5,6,7,8 are the most populous, so it really doesn't make much sense. Even is a lot of T7/8 get up-tiered, it still leaves a lot of available players for mid-tier games.

[SYN]
Members
336 posts
14,329 battles

Where did this information come from?

Pretty sure stat tracking sites aren't comprehensive, and are more likely to miss low tier players...

Members
648 posts
3,799 battles

That people say they are constantly bottom tier as a tier 5/6 seems to be true.

Since by this most of the games would be 5/6/7 6/7/8

More like tiers 5-7 is the normal spread.. Based on the OP, with the percentages for tiers 9 and 10, tier 8 is more likely to get up tiered, with tier 7 getting pulled into a tier 9 match occasionally.

[PVE]
Members
19,969 posts
12,643 battles

I would expect nothing less. The Adm Graf Spee missions require T5+ and the New Years Marathon for camo and Dragon Flags requires T6+.

Members
1,326 posts
95 battles

I would expect nothing less. The Adm Graf Spee missions require T5+ and the New Years Marathon for camo and Dragon Flags requires T6+.

I doubt it's related to this too much. It's just mid tiers are simply more populous. T9-10 are sort of boring and not everyone has ships that high, and T1-4 are very quickly outleveled by everyone.

Members
3,014 posts

Not surprising though Tiers 1-4 go by really fast. Leaving 5-7 for people actually grinding a line. Tier 8 is the competitive tier and there is no point to going to tier 9-10 as they have no incentive other then always being top tier. 

When I take the Neptune out, I'm never top tier.

Never.

Not in Random. Not in Coop-:red_button:

Speaking of Top Tier-Bottom Tier

I noticed I was always bottom tier in my Atlanta while grinding the Graff Spee missions.

And in all that time, I was also grinding up the Seagal commander, so I ran a stock Atlanta in random for awhile.

Gave me great pleasure to see I/she could handle most issues, but the AFT was missed- planes kept me spotted and I had to stay moving alot of the time.  I usually play her out in the open contrary to popular advice.

[PVE]
Members
19,969 posts
12,643 battles

I doubt it's related to this too much. It's just mid tiers are simply more populous. T9-10 are sort of boring and not everyone has ships that high, and T1-4 are very quickly outleveled by everyone.

I've played more PvP for ARP, Graf Spee and the NY Marathon for Dragon Flags since they started. I have T2-3 IJN, T4 British and T3-4 RU to grind, but I largely put them aside to focus on T6 for those missions. So for me my jump in tier has corresponded with those missions. 

Members
1,515 posts
8,071 battles

^agreed, the current missions have resulted in me playing tier 5-8 much more lately.  I would play tier 3/4 for fun generally before these events.

Edited by Hangoverhomey

[INTEL]
Members
13,459 posts
37,243 battles

T9-10 are boring, high pressure, and now populated by broken, overpowered ships that take all the fun out of playing. Today I pretty much committed to dramatically reducing my T9-10 play and will likely sell off all my remaining T9s except Fletcher.

Don't forget, lots of those T7-8 ships are padding out T9-10 games as cannon fodder. So it isn't as unpopulated in high tiers as one might think from those numbers.

Another factor in the T5-8 choice is that there are no premiums in the high tiers save the Missouri, and people have to play premiums to grind credits and because they paid for them and enjoy them. The presence of premiums not only boosts playing at those tiers, but when people div up with premiums, also pulls in more ships of those tiers.

Edited by Taichunger

Members
2,614 posts
3,604 battles

wrong thread... :facepalm: don't mind me... Move alone,. nothing to see here.

Edited by twitch133

Sign in to follow this