You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
soko99

wthdid they do to cruisers?

18 comments in this topic

[5D7]
Members
325 posts
8,482 battles

Just going to leave this here.. How on earth is this so little damage dealt in the end? 5 citadels should have dealt that damage on their own let alone the rest.  

Citadels.png

Members
2,136 posts
5,764 battles

Total damage from your citadel hits was 4600 AP Dam * 5 Cits = 23000 damage.

Cruisers are not cita-letion machines like battleships due to the lower alpha damage and size of their shells.

[5D7]
Members
325 posts
8,482 battles

Total damage from your citadel hits was 4600 AP Dam * 5 Cits = 23000 damage.

Cruisers are not cita-letion machines like battleships due to the lower alpha damage and size of their shells.

Cruisers used to be able to [edited]up other cruisers easy.    I'm starting to wonder if WOG wants everyone in battleships instead.

[5D7]
Members
325 posts
8,482 battles

New Orleans.....

nuff said...

Kind of have to grind a 154k xp to get past it though.. so not like I have the choice..

[13TH]
Members
4,898 posts
8,894 battles

I pretty much play Cruisers, they did change the way you get rewards some patches ago with ships spotted , engaged , that sort of thing, I suppose to reward a more aggressive game play,there are times I do good damage but my score is less than if I play a more aggressive riskier spot and shoot lots of enemy ships , cap , but I've not noticed any change in how my my ships that I play Aoba, Murmansk, Kutuzof, Atago, perform

[PLPT]
Members
4,435 posts
6,599 battles

Kind of have to grind a 154k xp to get past it though.. so not like I have the choice..

Baltimore is basically just a bigger, less maneuverable New Orleans with better AA. I hated the Baltimore, but intend to re-buy it and redeem myself.

[5D7]
Members
325 posts
8,482 battles

Also Citadels against low health enemies are only going to rack up the remaining HP.

It was against a full health guy.. and damage maxed at 4600..    in the game I just had. my TAKAO did the same thing but his damage for that 1 round of citadel was like 10k. 

[PLPT]
Members
4,435 posts
6,599 battles

It was against a full health guy.. and damage maxed at 4600..    in the game I just had. my TAKAO did the same thing but his damage for that 1 round of citadel was like 10k. 

Depends on where the rest of the shells disperse into. You get lots of regular pens with a citadel, it's going to do a lot of damage. You get lots of bounces or overpens, it's not going to do very much.

You only got 37 hits in that game up there, it's not going to be a huge amount of damage. Really, you should feel lucky you got as much damage as you did.

Edited by SergeantHop

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
24,699 posts
19,874 battles

Those 5 citadels are 23000 dmg, assuming they were all full-damage ones and not finishers. That leaves 16360 other damage.

Normalpens from NO do 1533 dmg, overpens do 460 dmg.

Your post-battle result screen shows 32 gun hits but it doesn't show how many of those were overpens, how many were normalpens, how many were shatters and how many were ricochets. Assuming half were shatters and ricochets which is entirely reasonable, that leaves 16 hits to do 16360 dmg, which is 1k average and not bad actually. That's about half normal pens for dmg and half overpens.

Members
3,792 posts
23,987 battles

OP if you want better damage you need to start more fires on enemy ships. Looking for citadels is only going to get you so many pts unless you have tons of broadside cruisers in your match.

[5D7]
Members
325 posts
8,482 battles

Depends on where the rest of the shells disperse into. You get lots of regular pens with a citadel, it's going to do a lot of damage. You get lots of bounces or overpens, it's not going to do very much.

You only got 37 hits in that game up there, it's not going to be a huge amount of damage. Really, you should feel lucky you got as much damage as you did.

I'm talking single round hits here..    Example A.  New Orleans 1 hit citadel did the 4600 damage, Takao 1 hit citadel did twice that at least.    both were full health targets and the rest of my rounds "missed"

just trying to undestand why a citadel from a cruiser is no longer a lot of damage, yet a single round from a BB takes like 20k off.  when max damage of those shells is like 10k

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
24,699 posts
19,874 battles

Takao 1 hit citadel did twice that at least.

Takao / Atago citadel does 4700 dmg.

yet a single round from a BB takes like 20k off.

They don't.

[PLPT]
Members
4,435 posts
6,599 battles

I'm talking single round hits here..    Example A.  New Orleans 1 hit citadel did the 4600 damage, Takao 1 hit citadel did twice that at least.    both were full health targets and the rest of my rounds "missed"

just trying to undestand why a citadel from a cruiser is no longer a lot of damage, yet a single round from a BB takes like 20k off.  when max damage of those shells is like 10k

If a BB takes 20k off you it hit you more than once.

The citadel damage on cruisers hasn't changed. Your Takao hit did 4700 damage. Other shells may have hit elsewhere to add more to that number.

[RWBY]
Members
68 posts
6,976 battles

The AP shells from cruisers are smaller because the turrets are smaller than a BBs. A New Orleans max AP damage from it's 203mm main batteries is 4,600. The North Carolina, same-tier American BB, has 406mm main batteries, much bigger than any cruisers', and can therefore have much greater max AP damage (in NC's case, 13,100.) If cruisers could land 13,100 with every citadel hit, the usual close range encounter would be like NCs battling each other, but with much faster reloads.

Essentially, if cruisers did the same AP damage as BBs, we'd see less cruisers than we do now because something like an Atlanta can load AP and just unleash hell to anything and everything that dares show a broadside to it.

[AR15]
[AR15]
Members
62 posts
9,507 battles

Two ways to deal a ton of damage: 

1. Light ships on fire and keep them burning 

2. A large number of citadel hits- the damage adds up quickly and you can zap 15-30K from an enemy cruiser quickly

Volume (for explosives/frag casing) is a cubic function- doubling the diameter of the shell would result in a shell eight times as heavy with all else equal. Cruiser guns simply don't have enough explosive in the shells to inflict BB-like damage

For example, leaving super heavy AP ammo out, the 16"/45 gun the Colorado mounted fired the Mark 5 AP projectile (2240lb, 33.6lb bursting charge). The 8"/55  gun on US treaty cruisers fired the Mark 19 AP projectile (260lb, 3.64lb bursting charge). 260lb x 8 = 2080lb- pretty close

Screenshot%2025_zpsg7alxeuo.png

It is possible, you just need to have good marksmanship and stay alive long enough to do it

Edited by mkcp40