Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
TenguBlade

Ibuki...

23 comments in this topic

[-KIA-]
Banned
9,382 posts
20,990 battles

Finally got enough to buy the Ibuki, and she and I get along just fine so far.

Captain's still retraining and I'm completely stock, but I've dug into my cash reserve to kit her out fully with MAM1, ASM1, MBM3, DCSM1, SGM2, and CSM1.  Nice, stealthy profile, and I definitely won't say no to a 12% reload reduction.

First game, typical camping BBs on Islands of Ice (along with a Montana too immersed in his own self-righteousness to notice he was headed for the border and every CA and DD he was criticizing was miles ahead of him).  Playing my usual high-tier CA game of following the DDs into caps and slaughtering the enemy ones with HE, which worked fairly well until enemy battleships appeared near B and I had to move.  They took the point, but we put them down 2, and almost 3, DDs for it at the cost of the same number.  Head to A to support our lone surviving DD, grumbling with the Monty captain all the while, and finally our BBs move up, albeit apparently on the unspoken condition that I needed to be out in front again.  Despite being pushed out in front as a broadside riot shield for 3 bow-on battleships, the enemy thinks it's more important to shoot them than me.

Dislodge myself and go about my usual IJN CA regimen, burning BBs, faking out the typically-bad shots that are battleship drivers at high-tier, albeit at a slightly slower pace than before owing to my Ibuki's stock rudder and rangefinder.  Took the whole of one salvo that actually did anything (about 8k damage) and burned the Montana to the waterline for it.  I don't think I fired a single salvo of AP at anyone because the only other CA I got a chance to shoot at, the enemy Zao, was angled.  End the match with 72k damage, about 2.2 million potential, 2 cap assists, and about 91k in profit.

In short, I'm bored out of my [edited]ing mind.  My Mogami does everything the Ibuki does, but better owing to her 155s (and even on her 203s, her rear-turret firing arcs are superior), and sees lower-tier opponents.  Mind you, I don't think Ibuki has issues being viable at T9, she just doesn't stand out.  Is there anything at all that I should be excited about except the prospect of playing T10 easy mode once I finish the grind?

Edited by TenguBlade

[SWFSH]
[SWFSH]
Beta Testers
2,504 posts
6,178 battles

Ibuki is unfortunately one of those lackluster intermediate ships. She could be worse, but she could also be better.

[PVE]
Members
1,713 posts
8,067 battles

Get the rudder shift module, it makes a great difference, starts to act like a DD.

Members
3,679 posts
8,111 battles

Gosh I'm so darn salty about Zao... They really need to change or nerf the armor on Zao, an angled Zao is tough to penetrate with anything but 18 inchers from Yamato. The forward Ammorack armor almost guarantee a bounce or a shatter as long as you are angled even just a tiny bit...and of course it has the shortest turning circle radius among all tier 10 cruisers. The volume of fire is good of course, and for me as a bb, the firepower of Zao simply from HE alpha strike is the only kind of cruiser firepower that I would actively trying to dodge.

Stealthy, punchy, agile, tanky, what's not to love?

[SYN]
Members
15,874 posts
12,803 battles

MAM1, ASM1, MBM3, DCSM1, SGM2, and CSM1.

That's the wrong mod on that slot.

You take arty plotting or nothing at all, because those turrets don't turn well to start with.

[-KIA-]
Members
5,189 posts
13,717 battles

You take arty plotting or nothing at all, because those turrets don't turn well to start with.

gbh6ZOo.png
  • Cool 3

[-KIA-]
Banned
9,382 posts
20,990 battles

You're forgetting I came off of 155 Mogami into this ship: even with MBM3 the traverse is godlike in comparison.  I'm willing to give GFCS2 a shot, but range issues weren't my problem when using the Ibuki, even stock, so I'm not sure how things would change.

Perhaps it's a problem with how I'm using the ship.  That extra RoF seemed far more useful than extra range to me since I tend to take my cruiser into the caps at the start of the match.  Even without radar, Ibuki is more than a match for any RN CL that's following their DDs in (not to mention that any USN CAs who might do the same don't have torpedoes to answer mine), and Japanese CA HE is one of the best tools for killing DDs in the game - 155 HE is better IMO because of its higher volume of fire, but 203 still works better than every other country's.  If that's the case, so be it.  A virtual 203 Mogami clone isn't a bad thing, it'll just be a little slow to grind through.

Edited by TenguBlade

[DEV_X]
Alpha Tester
2,464 posts
24,728 battles

I really love the Ibuki due to its range. Though I may switch out the module once she has CE for rate of fire. 

Members
363 posts
11,757 battles

The entire IJN line doesn't have really any radical changes.  C-hull Furutaka to A-hull Aoba are basically the same ship, 203 Mogami to Ibuki is basically the same ship, and even Tenryu to Kuma isn't too big of a change, although at same could be said for the Phoenix to Omaha or the Konigs to Nurn.

I just got mine also, it's still stock so all I can really say right now is that the I miss extra .7km range and rudder shift.

Edited by AhosChaos

[CALM]
Beta Testers
6,831 posts
5,115 battles

Ibuki really needs Zao's 203s.  Straight buff to AP and HE and less plateau going way back with Furutaka.

Members
6,163 posts
7,827 battles

Ibuki really needs Zao's 203s.  Straight buff to AP and HE and less plateau going way back with Furutaka.

Yeah, I could see this as a fair-game buff, since the Ibuki's were never actually built. Heck, who knows, given the time and resources, Zao(Senjo) and it's specs may very well have become a real class of cruisers, making Ibuki a good test bed of sorts for the better guns and such.
Edited by GhostSwordsman

[-K-]
Members, Beta Testers
3,105 posts
7,915 battles

I'm willing to give GFCS2 a shot, but range issues weren't my problem when using the Ibuki, even stock, so I'm not sure how things would change.

Because bonfires and 6k+ HE salvos at 19km is how tier 9 works.  Any ship without at least 18km range is at the mercy of whether or not your team cares to push up that match or not.

Yes, the IJN cruisers are pretty much rinse/repeat from Furutaka until Zao, but Ibuki was still enjoyable for me.

[-KIA-]
Members
5,189 posts
13,717 battles

Because bonfires and 6k+ HE salvos at 19km is how tier 9 works.  Any ship without at least 18km range is at the mercy of whether or not your team cares to push up that match or not.

And that's why Russian cruisers dominate.

Privateers
728 posts
9,020 battles

Out of all the tier 9 cruisers, the Ibuki definitely stands out the least. In a way, she's so balanced that there's nothing to complain about nor be excited about.

[SYN]
Members
3,726 posts
23,512 battles

She's a capable and competent ship, nothing wrong with her maybe just a little too vanilla.

[-KIA-]
Banned
9,382 posts
20,990 battles

Yes, the IJN cruisers are pretty much rinse/repeat from Furutaka until Zao, but Ibuki was still enjoyable for me.

Maybe I've just been lucky so far then.  With how much I got uptiered in the Mogami, I thought I had a grasp on where I could slot myself into the T8-10 meta.  Guess not.

Beta Testers
1,143 posts
3,273 battles

I went with FC Module before Hull since I decided on a Range + Stealth Build from the get go.

After realizing and finding out the B Hull grants the option of Spotter Plane I've been considering swapping the Range Module for the RoF one. IJN CAs lend the best support through their Main Batteries since they lack Consumable Options. 

Haven't played a match with Spotter + Range Mod. To see if stacking is worth the slower RoF. As for the slower Traverse potential, meh. I run the 155 Mogami with only EM as the modifier preferring ASM1 or SBM2 to help with DD Brawls in smoke or more accurate rapid fire at range. 

Could simply be the BB side-grinds mitigating the affects of slower Traverse. But slow traverse times have "plagued" the IJN Cruisers for a long time already IF you haven't gotten use to the speed by T9 the RN might be more ones cup of tea. With their similarly long ranged torpedoes and speedier guns. 

Personally I've found the RN and IJN Cruisers to be similar in some regards of play and tactics when smoke is unavailable or opted otherwise. 

Ibuki oh how I cannot wait to be done with you; Zao looks like so much fun....

[BAKED]
Members
918 posts
12,366 battles

155 Mogami is fun, but an outlier in terms of playstyle.

Ibuki plays more like upgraded Atago with more range to stealth fire. Better turrets but worse torp arcs.

While you can choose to play aggressive and run MBM3, she does better imo with GCFS2 and stealth fire.

I keep Ibuki in my port mainly because she is the pinnacle of the IJN 5x2 203 cruiser.

Members
6,163 posts
7,827 battles

Out of all the tier 9 cruisers, the Ibuki definitely stands out the least. In a way, she's so balanced that there's nothing to complain about nor be excited about.

There is only one thing I don't particularly like about Ibuki, and that's her turret traverse speed. It's 1.6 seconds slower than Mogami's 203mm guns, yet as far as I can tell, they're the exact same gun, just like the rest of the line from Furutaka up.

that extra 1.6 seconds really does make a difference, because Ibuki can/will struggle swinging the guns around when maneuvering, or just keeping guns on target in a hard turn, unlike Mogami, Atago, and Furutaka, though admittedly, it's really not out of the ordinary when compared to Myoko and Aoba.

[ARGSY]
Members
10,326 posts
16,093 battles

finally got ibuki and had one match.  so far so good.  185k dmg  for a stock ship.      not bad.    at least it plays like longer range takao with worse torp angle.  I wasn't fired on much so that helped.  :D

[NNG]
Members
130 posts
9,318 battles

I've only played 10 games in Ibuki, but find it  inferior to Atago, and less fun to play with.

[ARGSY]
Members
10,326 posts
16,093 battles

just wow,  I am still on stock hull , but after 9 matches with very good dmg stat, it has been my best performing cruiser by significant margin.  I find it very much capable ship.     may be not as  strong for tier as atago, but plenty effective considering that most t8 matches are pushed into t10 anyway.     even though roon has better ROF,  combination of long range torp and stronger  gun makes it very effective. I do have range mod on it,   I've been happy with it so far.    much better  CA than donskoi for me.  

Sign in to follow this