Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
giovybez

Class Substitutions; Which team has the MM advantage?

15 comments in this topic

[HINON]
Members
3,266 posts
27,607 battles

Whenever there is an odd number of destroyers, MM matches the top tier destroyer with a bottom tiered cruiser. Similarly odd number of cruisers will result in a top tier cruiser being matched with a bottom tiered BB. How do you guys feel about this, in your opinion which of these substitutions give the team an advantage or a disadvantage?

[BLEP]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
585 posts
5,098 battles

Depends on the ship but I usually feel like anything the replaces a cruiser to be beneficial. It just doesn't seem like cruisers are where they should be. I mean it certainly depends on the player as well since some can make it work. Just by the ship though I would rather have a cruiser or DD.

Edited by aradragoon

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
24,689 posts
19,834 battles

Just because he's on the opposite side of you on the team list does not mean you are foretold to be mythical rivals or something. This 'being matched against' is a silly thing.

• Cool 2

[GWG]
Members
7,212 posts
13,972 battles

I was a lone Colorado in a battle, and the other team had 6 destroyers to our 3.

I spent the mission swatting flies and drowned in torpedo soup.

[HINON]
Members
3,266 posts
27,607 battles

Jeez that was insulting. 

What I'm asking is, which team do you feel has the advantage? Would you rather have more BBs even if it is a tier or 2 lower or perhaps its better to have the DD advantage?

• Cool 1

Members
1,725 posts
8,556 battles

Jeez that was insulting. 

What I'm asking is, which team do you feel has the advantage? Would you rather have more BBs even if it is a tier or 2 lower or perhaps its better to have the DD advantage?

If the number of DDs on each team is less than three, more DDs is always best (3 is enough to scout all three caps, probably take 2, and probably beat the team with 1 or 2 DDs in the culling).

If the number of DDs on each team is more than 3, then More BBs is always best.

More cruisers is always worst.

The general idea is that the more BBs you have, the more likely they are to do the BB's job well, but there are diminishing returns on the number of DDs. Between them, DDs and BBs cover any role a cruiser might have, so it's usually  better to have more of one of the types which has it's own unique role.

Edited by inktomi19d

[PLDN]
Alpha Tester
2,161 posts
6,665 battles

I like fairly even numbers.

But your understanding of MM is flawed, as Lert said: You are not matched based on the ship across from you. Take a moment to count the number of top tier ships per team, not based on position in the chart.

Cruisers are not good carry ships right now, but you'd be shocked how much you need them.

[MUDDX]
Banned
8,144 posts
23,141 battles

there is no advantage it is 50 50 all the way Your vivid imagination is grasping for figments

Members
765 posts
2,849 battles

It depends on whether their are caps, the number of existing DDs per side, the nature of those DDs, and also the value of the ship.... I would take a Belfast over a Tashkent, for instance.  But if I had no other DDs on the team, I'd rather take the Tashkent.. if their are caps.

[SCCC]
Members
3,177 posts
12,787 battles

Jeez that was insulting. 

It really depends on player skill, not team composition. I've had teams where all of the DDs are the first ones on the team to die without inflicting much damage on the enemy. Additionally, back in the day before mirrored CV MM, it wasn't uncommon for the team with 2 CVs to lose against the team with 1 CV, because the other surface ships would become outnumbered and/or outskilled and lose the game. 2 CVs alone cannot stop half the enemy team.

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
24,689 posts
19,834 battles

What I'm asking is, which team do you feel has the advantage?

The one with better players and better luck.

[A-I-M]
Members
3,512 posts
23,239 battles

I don't care about MM. The old system was fine with me; I only cared that CVs were equal in number and, if more than one per side, that each side had one of the same tier.

Being on the clearly weaker side was a challenge, and being on the stronger side was clubbing time. It evened out.

[SCCC]
Members
3,177 posts
12,787 battles

I don't care about MM. The old system was fine with me; I only cared that CVs were equal in number and, if more than one per side, that each side had one of the same tier.

Being on the clearly weaker side was a challenge, and being on the stronger side was clubbing time. It evened out.

I didn't mind the CV MM back then other than the possibility of having one CV against a higher tier CV. But I had plenty games with three CVs where the highest tier CV is alone and if the other two CVs worked together, they could shut down the higher tier CV. I remember my very first games in CVs with the Langley and sometimes being paired up with another Langley against a Bogue and we would work together to shut it down. However, divisions messed up MM at times where, for example, a tier 6 CV would face off against a tier 6 and 7 CV because the enemy tier 6 was in a division.

[-_W_-]
Members
1,089 posts
2,418 battles

Remember that the team list sorts carriers at the top, then battleships, then cruisers, then destroyers, with the highest-tier ships at the top of their section.

It's not matching a top-tier cruiser against a bottom-tier battleship. It's matching a top-tier cruiser against a top-tier cruiser (because that's how the MM rules work - a top-tier cruiser can't be matched against anything that isn't another top-tier cruiser), it's just that the extra BB on the other team appears across from that cruiser in the team list. That extra BB was "matched against" either a mid- or bottom- tier cruiser or destroyer.

Sign in to follow this